speedtv

kswanson

Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Haven't been on the forum for a while. I see Speedtv HD has been "announced" but not added yet. Any idea when? F1 season is here and Direct is broadcasting the F1 races in HD.

According to SPEED, it is not HD. It is PAL world feed, like the European bicycle races on Versus HD. If you have a divx or PAL compatible disk player, there are many online sources available for download.

According to SPEED, it is not HD. It is PAL world feed, like the European bicycle races on Versus HD. If you have a divx or PAL compatible disk player, there are many online sources available for download.

I tried this last year, but I had trouble finding consistent rips of the Speed broadcast. Perhaps the BBC broadcast will be better than ITV was, but I still prefer me some Steve, David, Bob, and Peter.

Ted

speedtv hd

According to the Speedtv online guide it's HD.

Dont get your hopes up, for some reason charlie is holding out on this channel? betj is a more popular channel than speedhd according to charlie!:mad::confused::mad::confused::mad::confused::(

From all that I've read the Speed contract isn't up till this summer and for some reason Charlie thinks it must wait until then and Im sure its all about money, it always is! Thanks Charlie, be the last provider to get it! :( Don't worry about what ur customers want, do it all on Charlie time!

Hey - just want to clarify a little. Even though SPEED is available in HD, the F1 races are _not_ broadcast in HD. The rights F1 gave out to ITV was a 16:9, and the world feed is 579 line PAL, not 720/1080.

There is hope however now that the BBC is back in the picture. The move away from ITV was a good one in my opinion. Many times ITV operations would show the boring parts of the race while some major action was happening elsewhere. BBC will also have uninterrupted coverage of the F1 race. Unlikely we will get that full feed through SPEED of Fox, but it will exist.

The track cameras film at 1080p, not sure if all of them do, but their links back to the sat trucks ARE 1080p HD. What we actually get is a downconvert due to contracts with F1.

In short - I'm not too upset that SPEED isn't available in HD. The quality is better, but the feed from BBC/ITV wasn't ever full on HD.

It will very much depend if BBC Sports can negotiate with F1 (soon) and get a full HD feed from each race. There is a good chance that will happen this year since BBC will have it's new FTA HD sat going up, and of course the UK star Lewis Hamilton is attempting to retain the title. There will probably be a good bit of UK pressure on BBC Sports to get it in HD.

So then it will be up to SPEED/FOX/DISH to get the right stuff coming in from BBC Sports.

I do find it odd that one of the most technologically advanced racing sports in the world isn't available in the BEST picture quality.

FYI - You will definately want to check the BBC Sports website coverage during a race, it's sure to be good.

well i for one will take 1080p downconverted to pal 576 16:9 over 480i ntsc any darn day of the week, watching the 4 F1 races a year on FOX HD was so much better than watching the rest of the season on Speed last year!

Just watched practice for the Australian GP. I'd forgotten how bad it was. Has anyone tried a DVDO Edge on dish SD?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts