Split recordings? Tuner switching?

jawxx

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 12, 2012
United States
Been installing Hoppers since launch but have only had mine a few weeks.

2 different questions.

1. Noticed the other night that 3 different recordings all at the same time recorded in 2 segments each. It appears the total time for the each episode adds up to the total it should be but I haven't viewed them yet. Might this happen if I had complete signal loss for a minute during that hour? Is it some quirk that has been seen before?

2. When using default 1min early, 3min late for consecutive recordings on the same channel I notice I still lose out on the end of the first recording. Avoiding this is one the improvements I was greatest lookong forward too. This takes place even if there is multiple tuners available. Anyway to tell the hopper to switch tuners and record the overlapping 2 minutes on seperate tuners?

The default start/end padding is dropped for back to back recordings on the same channel. If you change the end pad to five minutes or I've heard extend the start pad to 2 minutes it will force it to change tuners for the second program. I always extend the stop padding when needed but I have found that on most shows you don't miss any thing other than part of the previews for next weeks episode anyway, so most I do not extend.

Usually the reason for split recordings is loss of power or the box rebooting, several minutes will be missing from the show. A long loss of signal sometimes causes a soft reboot.

I had the same thing happen to me last week. The whole show was recorded in two different recordings with no time missing, so the box couldn't have rebooted.

Correct about a single recording in two segments because of a reboot. A few times I had to RESET it myself because the system locked-up. I've used 2 minutes EARLY and 3 Minutes LATE for MTV recordings, or, in other words, a total extension of time early and late equal to 5 minutes will cause the DVR to fire another tuner to record the same channel and NOT miss any programming. What really makes this bad is that Dish's stream is about 10+ seconds BEHIND real time. Often, important, dramatic information is in the final few seconds of some programs. If the clock and the stream were in synch, this would not be an issue for about 98% of such complaints.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts