OTHER Splitter question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jy2

Original poster
Oct 30, 2018
Baltimore, MD
If I connect only two outputs of a 4 way splitter (Steren 201-244), do I get 1/2 or 1/4 strength of the original signal on each output? In other words, can a 4 way splitter serve as a 2 way splitter when only two outputs are needed?

I understand that the signal strength of each of the 4 outputs is 1/4 of that of original signal. I want to know if that holds true regardless whether an output is used.

If I connect only two outputs of a 4 way splitter (Steren 201-244), do I get 1/2 or 1/4 strength of the original signal on each output? In other words, can a 4 way splitter serve as a 2 way splitter when only two outputs are needed?

I understand that the signal strength of each of the 4 outputs is 1/4 of that of original signal. I want to know if that holds true regardless whether an output is used.
All outputs of a 4 way splitter will be the same,-7db,regardless of how many outputs are used.If you only need 2 outs use a 2 way,-3.5db.A 4 way splitter is essentially 3, 2 way splitters.

Unused ports = wasted IF signal. It is best to use the appropriate splitter.
Just to clarify, there's no appreciable loss from using 75 Ohm terminators versus using a smaller splitter. In other words, you can have a 4-way splitter that is properly terminated on 2 outputs, and it would perform "basically" the same as a comparable 2-way splitter.
Edit: I should add that it makes no difference within reason. You only start to push the boundary when you are splitting frequencies near 2GHz by 32 ways. I can't imagine a scenario where you would be using a combination of splitters with 30 terminators and no amplification, but it's funny to think of.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, there's no appreciable loss from using 75 Ohm terminators versus using a smaller splitter.
To reiterate, your claim is false.

The loss is substantial and it is known from the specifications for the splitter. Using a four-way with dummy loads on all unused outputs reduces output signal on all ports by 7dB versus 3.5dB for a typical two-way splitter. In percentage terms, each output of a typical two-way splitter is approximately 44.7% of the input signal. The output of any port on a properly terminated four-way splitter is just 20% of the input signal.

Terminating resistors reduce loss due to impedance mismatch and interference from stray signal but they absolutely do not turn a four-way splitter into the equivalent of a two-way.

Agreed, termination resistors on unused ports do not reduce signal attenuation on used ports. The loss on each port is fixed whether terminated or not.

Also, I may be stating the obvious, do not use a terminator on a power passing port. On powered ports, use a cap without termination.

Reactions: primestar31
On powered ports, use a cap without termination.
Good warning. That said, I note that not terminating all outputs reduces power transfer due to impedance mismatch over and above the loss of unnecessary splits. It is best to use the appropriate splitter.

I think it should also be mentioned that using splitters on satellite systems is a bit unusual, as the communication between LNB and receiver is bi-directional (voltage-controlled polarity, 22 kHz, Diseqc) and those commands by one receiver could conflict with another receiver.

Reactions: a33 and Titanium
I think it should also be mentioned that using splitters on satellite systems is a bit unusual, as the communication between LNB and receiver is bi-directional (voltage-controlled polarity, 22 kHz, Diseqc) and those commands by one receiver could conflict with another receiver.
This has recently become more of a thing as the Orby TV subscription service uses only one polarity and quite a few of the Orby TV denizens here are/were using FTA antenna gear with their receivers.

Reactions: Brct203

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts