Splitting A Joey. NEWBIE

cowboys75

Original poster
Mar 1, 2014
Illinois
I am wanting to split one Joey for 2 tvs. Putting in a new tv in the garage.
I have possibly two ways of doing this.
My current situation is that I have one hopper and 2 joeys.
The coax runs from the hopper to a splitter and then to the joeys.

My question is can I split the coax on one of those joeys to my tv in the garage? Still would like to maintain HD signal if possible.

Or do I split from one of the joeys?

Sorry if this has been answered a lot already. I just want to know what to do for my current situation.

Thanks.

I am wanting to split one Joey for 2 tvs. Putting in a new tv in the garage.
I have possibly two ways of doing this.
My current situation is that I have one hopper and 2 joeys.
The coax runs from the hopper to a splitter and then to the joeys.

My question is can I split the coax on one of those joeys to my tv in the garage? Still would like to maintain HD signal if possible.

Or do I split from one of the joeys?

Sorry if this has been answered a lot already. I just want to know what to do for my current situation.

Thanks.

If you want HD in the garage the best thing to do is move the Joey to that location when you want to use it. You can mirror the signal from the Joey to the garage using coax but it will not be HD. What I would do is put in a 3 way splitter for your Joeys. Run one coax cable to the garage and when you want to use it just bring the Joey with you and connect it there.

If I do not want to move the Joey, can I just use a HDMI splitter and use a different remote?

You can also do that if it's easy to run an HDMI cable to the garage. It all depends on your setup. Lengthy HDMI cables and splitters can be expensive. I know a lot of people buy them on monoprice.com for pretty cheap. HDMI is not the easiest cable to run long distant but if you're able to this may be your best bet.

If I do not want to move the Joey, can I just use a HDMI splitter and use a different remote?
Yes. I've done this for myself and several friends/family. Don't overspend on any sort of "premium" cable or splitter. A $24 Sewell splitter and $20 50 ft cable from Amazon is fine. Do not get 22AWG cable or nylon case cables. The extra bulk just makes it that much more difficult to run. Most of the stuff you read will say 50 ft is about the limit, but I have runs over 75ft that are fine.

Most of the difficulty in running HDMI is because there is no option for a field installed connector, so you have to drill holes large enough to accommodate the molded on HDMI cable head. If you're going to place behind a wall plate, pay attention to how long the connector and associated molding is. Some of the connectors/molding are so deep they are hard to fit behind a wallplate/keystone in a standard 2x4 framed wall.

For longer or more convoluted cable paths, consider an HDMI to Cat5 converter. The cat5 cable is much easier to run.

Connect and test everything before running the cable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts