Splitting DishNetwork Signal

rbarrett

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
Hello All,

I am currently using a DishNetwork 521 downstairs and a 311 upstairs in my Home Theater. My setup is such: The satellite signal is routed to a distribution panel in a closet. From here I go out to the 521 downstairs.

I've tried to split the signal at the distribution panel, but when I do, I get less than desirable results. Sometimes I lose all signal to the 521, sometimes just the video, sometimes just the audio.

My sister has a 721 which is split off to 2 TVs downstairs and then to a 311 receiver upstairs. Therefore, I would think I could do the same in my setup.

The difference is that my 521 downstairs is connected to the one TV, whereas her 721 is split between 2 TVs.

Can anyone suggest the best method of splitting the incoming signal between the 521 and the 311?

Thanks,
Robert

P.S. I've received a 721 from Dish, but haven't installed it yet.

You can not split sat lines. One line to one receiver. You can split RF (Home Distribution) out to two or more TVs. You must be misunderstanding your sister's configuration.

Hmmmm. I might have misunderstood (it's been months since I looked) but I do remember a splitter on it. I didn't go outside, so I guess it's possible she has two dishes outside...

Robert

Sorry guys! I got the model numbers all wrong. I was at work and couldn't look at the actual devices.

I'm currently using a 721 dual tuner. My sister has a 522 dual tuner. My new receiver that I haven't hooked up yet is a 522 dual tuner.

In trying to make this work, I purchased a Dish Network Multi-Dish Switch DP34. I never could get it to work either.

Sorry for the confusion.

So what is the separator and where can I get one?

Thanks again!

Robert

It may be the separator, you may also be looking at a diplexor which also looks like a splitter. The diplexor allows the satellite signal and the signal going to your 2nd tv to travel on the same line but it is totally different from a seperator.

a diplexor is labled with one side commonly showing a path for dc voltage to pass and other labeled usually tv. So..... your sat line enters the diplexer on the side with 2 connectors labeled sat, then that line continues usually to the back of the receiver where there should be another diplexor. The diplexer behind the receiver would have that line going into the single side of it. From there one line (labeled dc/pass satellite) would go to the seperator which feeds both tuners. The other side of the diplexor behind the receiver labeled tv would go to the tv2 output on back of the receiver. Now..... in your closet or wherever there could be the other diplexor (the first one I talked about in line) the side of it labeled tv would be going to the line for your 2nd tv. This one can be split from the diplexor. You cannot split the satellite signal going to the receiver. You can split off the diplexor on the side labeld tv. You would just run a line from it into a splitter and then feed more than one tv.
I wish I could draw a diagram and hopefully that helps explain it a little for you.

Thanks lownote2,

I'll take a much closer look at my sister's setup the next time I'm at her house.

Robert

Okay, here's the scoop: I remembered I had purchased a DP34 multi-switch some time ago and I tried installing it again today. Lo and Behold, it worked this time. Not sure why I couldn't get it to work last time. However, as I watched a football game tonight, it appeared to be a little fuzzier than normal and occasionally I saw complete dropouts. Oh well, now at least both locations are working. I may put it back the way it was as I'm the only one living here at this time.

Also thinking about trying AT&T IPTV sometime soon. Has anyone here tried that yet?

Robert