Splitting Satellite Signal

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

head_penguin

Original poster
Sep 9, 2010
Missouri
I am new to satellite and we just got it a week ago. We have the DISH 500 with a duo DVR receiver i believe. we have it hooked up to 2 TVs but was wondering if there was a way to split it to 4 TVs total, i have heard u can use a splitter and mirror the signal so that 2 TVs view the same thing but i was wondering if there was a way to do it with out the TVs being the same. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I am not very knowledgeable about this subject but i will do my best to tell any more information thats needed.

thanks

You can split the NTSC output signal all you want with the 2 outputs--TV1 and TV2.

You cannot split the signal from the dish, per se. You can have a switch which does do this but is much more expensive, maybe $100 for a DPP33 or $200 (from Dish) for a DPP44, I know less about the DPP34.

These have multiple inputs (satellites) and multiple outputs. The 44 switch will band stack two signals for the dual tuner DVRs like the VIP722 so you can use a (band) separator on each cable at the dual-tuner receiver. Some of the LNBs have switches that allow up to 3 outputs but not 4, quad LNB does 4 single bands but only has 2 sats. Some problems reported on the switched LNBs with a following switch although their switch is supposed to be disabled.

Do not buy a multi-switch, it is for Direct or single LNB configurations only.
-Ken

Last edited:
Yes the output of the DVR can be split as many times as you want. The picture on all sets will be the same. If you want different programming at each TV set you need a receiver at each TV. As an existing customer of less than a year you will probably need to buy each additional receiver for $100 or higher and at least $7 per month in additional fees per receiver.

Yes the output of the DVR can be split as many times as you want.
I penned something almost identical earlier today, and then deleted it. Don't you have to amplify if you split composite or component?

The OP also didn't say whether he has an HD receiver. If he does, he cannot split the HDMI output.

TheKrell he has a dish 500 with a DUO DVR so the assumption is a RF output for TV2. Yes you can split the other outputs without amplification but there is a possibility of signal degredation.

you CAN split HDMI. monoprice sells many of them each day.
Well, yeah, but most people find they work poorly if at all. They need amplification (if no HDCP) or a switch instead. That's my understanding having never bought any one of them! ;) I was mostly thinking of HDCP being confused if two TVs were on the same circuit.

Don't you have to amplify if you split composite or component?

The RF output of the 622/722 series is amplified slightly internally (10dB?) so one splitter will not affect it.

I'm mixing 2 722s and the antenna, then amplifying 10dB to 4 outlets. The outlets are the 722 antenna inputs, TV, and a split to others.

Remember some are NTSC and some ATSC and antenna has many more clear channels than cable--you need 3 consecutive channels to add each TV1 or TV2 from each receiver to avoid interference/crosstalk. I use OTA 60 62 64 66.
-Ken

IF the OP had a 625, you can in theory run up to 7 different tv's off the same coax without degradation since it internally amps the signal at +20db (not sure if the 522 has the same amplification).

I've ran up to 4tv's from a 622/722 before without any noticeable difference. The only thing is, you will need a good splitter and good connections in order to get the signal to work. If you still are getting a fuzzy picture, just add an amplifier in the mix before running into the splitter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)