Splitting signal

jmendez

Original poster
May 28, 2004
Miami
I just bought a High Definition Receiver (811) connected to a HD Panasonic PTW53x . Is there any way to split the signal and send it to another two Regular Tv's .

You have 2 sets of composite connections available, one with an svideo option.

It likely will not be practical to route one of those to any of the other televisions (long svideo or composite connections lose signal and can be expensive).

What I do is route one of the composite connections to a modulater from walmart. It converts the signal to either channel 3 or 4 and that can then be split into 2 and routed to your other televisions with regular coax cable. Depending on the run length you may also need a signal amp.

In the room where the 811 is you can use a regular IR remote (either with dish codes built in or a learning IR remote) and then use the UHF 811 remote in one of your other rooms. You could even pick up another 811 remote from the dishstore (for about $40, I think) for the other room.

I gotta agree with KyDave. If you have additional output sources they are not going to be a viable solution for you. If you are going to be pumping that signal to additional monitors, no doubt they are going to be in other rooms of your dwelling. RG-6 is going to be the easiest medium to do that with. The only way to convert your signal is going to be with a modulator. You should, if you can, connect your output signal to the modulator with your s-video or composite/component output of the receiver. If you convert the signal you will loose the quality anyway but you can still try to get the best signal possible. A modulator will allow you to pump that signal a reasonably long way along an RG-6 cable. You shouldn't need an amplifier unless you are going over 300 feet of cable. Although it is recommended that you don't go over 150-175 without an amp, if you use RG-6 Copper Clad you will minimize your signal loss at 750mA (check your output voltage from the 811).

Radio Shack now sells a stereo modulator for a lot less than the $350 that they used to cost (it's less than $35) if you want to have stereo sound in your remote locations. Or, if your house is wired with CAT5, there are s-video baluns that can be used to send s-video and L/R audio several hundred feet over four pairs.

There's also 2.4GHz wireless video repeaters that take composite video+stereo (RCA plugs) and give you the same on the other end. Interference can be an issue depending on what else you've got in the house.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts