Splitting the coax output of a DVR 5XX

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rtt2

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
If I want to split the coax output of a Dish Network DVR 508; what frequency splitter would I need.

Do I need to use the regular cable frequency splitters eg. 5-1000 MHz or the satellite frequency splitters 950-2150 MHz or 40-2050 MHz

I actually took the RF out of my 501, used a splitter to combine it with my antenna feed, ran it into a diplexer with a satellite feed, sent it to the other room where my 6000 is, ran it through another diplexer and tuned my 6000 to channel 3 so I could watch my PVR'd shows in the other room upconverted to HD. Looks like hell but it works.

It that right you can run the 5XX signal to the 6000? Now that is interesting. I am currently splitting my 508 to two sets, so another may not work, but interesting that you can do that. good to know

Which channel is used in your area for network tv 3 or 4, try the modulated channel from your 5xx to the unused channel and combine that with your antenna feed this may clear things up a bit.

Shichonni said:
It that right you can run the 5XX signal to the 6000? Now that is interesting. I am currently splitting my 508 to two sets, so another may not work, but interesting that you can do that. good to know
I'm not sure, but maybe there's some confusion as to how all this splitting and diplexing works.

1. You can NOT 'split' a Dish LNB feed. Switches must be used.
  2. You CAN 'split' any VHF (channel 3/4) output (VCR, receiver, etc.). Depending on the receiver and cable length, as many as 4 devices can be driven without a RF amplifier.
  3. Any VHF output from any device (VCR, receiver, etc.) can be run into any 'antenna' port (receiver, VCR, etc.) and used as if it came off an OTA antenna.
  4. You can use the same cable for Dish LNB feed and VHF feeds via diplexers. The LNB is up in the GHz range and VHF is in the low MHz range - a diplexer is used to avoid interference. Diplexers look like splitters, but aren't.
  5. You can run the feeds in opposite directions - as in LNB from dish to receiver and VHF from receiver back 'towards' the dish, tapping the VHF off to go to another room at some point before the dish itself. We do this all the time with 322/522 receivers to feed TV #2.
  6. You can also use a diplexer to combine OTA antenna feeds with LNB feeds - makes it easier to get from the outside to the inside. This can get a little messy - VHF vs. UHF vs. DBS (Dish). Make sure you buy the right parts and hook them up in the right order.
  7. I would NOT try to combine an OTA antenna feed 'in' to the receiver with the VHF 'out' of the receiver going back up the same wire. :yikes

I would NOT try to combine an OTA antenna feed 'in' to the receiver with the VHF 'out' of the receiver going back up the same wire.
Let me clarify: The antenna comes in the wall, I put it into a combiner. I take the VHF output of the Dish 501 and put it into the other input of a combiner. I take the resulting output and feed it into the Ant. input of the diplexer and run the sat cable into the Sat. input of the diplexer. At the 6000 end, I run the Sat. cable into the Sat. connection on the 6000 and the Ant. connection into the 8vsb module.

I go into the OTA channel setup, assign a channel 3 as an analog OTA channel, name it 501 then when I want to watch my 501, I tune to channel 3. What's the big deal? It's not causing any signal to be injected UP the antenna or anywhere else, the 2 signals are being combined into one.

DarrellP said:
Let me clarify: The antenna comes in the wall, I put it into a combiner. I take the VHF output of the Dish 501 and put it into the other input of a combiner. I take the resulting output and feed it into the Ant. input of the diplexer and run the sat cable into the Sat. input of the diplexer. At the 6000 end, I run the Sat. cable into the Sat. connection on the 6000 and the Ant. connection into the 8vsb module.

I go into the OTA channel setup, assign a channel 3 as an analog OTA channel, name it 501 then when I want to watch my 501, I tune to channel 3. What's the big deal? It's not causing any signal to be injected UP the antenna or anywhere else, the 2 signals are being combined into one.
Right - the combiner makes the difference - it's keeping you from broadcasting your 501 output to the neighborhood. ;)