sporadic trouble with 129

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mdfchi

Original poster
May 23, 2008
I apologize if this question is addressed elsewhere, but I've searched and couldn't find anything that directly addresses my problem. We have a Dish 1000 (which I understand from some other posts is considered a "POS" by many here), and ever since the addition of all the new HD channels, we've been having trouble getting most of the HD channels. It seems that we get the channels on transponders 12 (our locals in Chicago), 30, and 31 just fine, but all the other channels on other transponders don't come in. When I go to the dish pointing screen, transponders 12, 30, and 31 show signal strength in the 20s, while the others all show signal strength in the low single digits. I'm pretty sure that I have a clear line of sight to the sky, and while I don't have nearly the technical knowledge of most of the people here, it seems to me that if I'm getting a pretty good signal on some transponders, that means the problem isn't an obstructed line of sight (am I wrong about that?). I have seen some suggestions that the Dish 1000 is a POS and I'm thinking maybe I should get it upgraded to the Dish 1000.2 - is this a problem that Dish has recognized, and will they upgrade me for free because of problems with the Dish 1000?

Any help that anyone can offer would be appreciated - either things I can try myself, or suggestions for dealing with Dish to get the problem resolved. Again, I apologize for my lack of technical knowledge, and I hope that I have given enough info for you to be able to address my questions. Thanks!

Your signal strength is way to low at the least you need a dish alignment. Don't expect any free dishes from DISH but with DHPP your alignment should be $29.99.

I realize that my signal strength could be higher, but the pictures are fine, for those channels on transponders 12, 30, and 31. Does it make sense that other transponders would have lower signal strength?

Sounds like your dish needs to be peaked for 129.

I peaked my 1000 for 129 over a year ago and I have little or no trouble with signals off 129.

I have 47-53 on TP12; 43-48 on TP 30 and 47-54 on TP 31.

I had the same problem for 3 days. I assume that the problem may be do to the traditional Spring white out. It corrected itself yesterday and no problems (so far) since. 129 in PA is pretty low here but had it strong for a year since they moved our locals.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one experiencing sporadic anomalies with 129.

When I go to my SYS INFO page, box G 'Satellite Signal' indicates, 119 and 110 register and 'lock' (green) almost immediately. 129, on the other hand, takes 20 to 30 seconds to register and 'lock' (green).

Signal Strength sampled from a variety of transponders at each location:

110: ~40's
119: ~50's
129: ~30's

~ = approximately

signal strength range (722) = 0 thru 125

I'm thinking it might be time for Dish to send an installer out to re-tweak my dish. We went through some hellacious winds, for weeks, not too long ago. I'd tweak it again, but I'm getting leery of doing the dance on the tip of a ladder, anymore!

I apologize if this question is addressed elsewhere, but I've searched and couldn't find anything that directly addresses my problem. We have a Dish 1000 (which I understand from some other posts is considered a "POS" by many here), and ever since the addition of all the new HD channels, we've been having trouble getting most of the HD channels. It seems that we get the channels on transponders 12 (our locals in Chicago), 30, and 31 just fine, but all the other channels on other transponders don't come in. When I go to the dish pointing screen, transponders 12, 30, and 31 show signal strength in the 20s, while the others all show signal strength in the low single digits. I'm pretty sure that I have a clear line of sight to the sky, and while I don't have nearly the technical knowledge of most of the people here, it seems to me that if I'm getting a pretty good signal on some transponders, that means the problem isn't an obstructed line of sight (am I wrong about that?). I have seen some suggestions that the Dish 1000 is a POS and I'm thinking maybe I should get it upgraded to the Dish 1000.2 - is this a problem that Dish has recognized, and will they upgrade me for free because of problems with the Dish 1000?

Any help that anyone can offer would be appreciated - either things I can try myself, or suggestions for dealing with Dish to get the problem resolved. Again, I apologize for my lack of technical knowledge, and I hope that I have given enough info for you to be able to address my questions. Thanks!

The dish is not a POS; the satellite at 129 is the POS. That will be replaced next year.

I am also having issues with 129. only on some transponders. I have a single dish directed at 129. i will check the strength when i get home. could this be a larger issue? I live in northeast MN.

I have had concerns with 129 here in the last few weeks also. (Madison,WI) When going into ck sw. my 622 said I may have some LNB drift, so last weekend I did reaim the dish
with a little more emphasis on 129 reception. I haven't had any problems since (pixelation
& streaking of channels,) but I also have signal numbers similar to FCom911. 129 just
doesn't get alot higher on many of the tp's. I also seem to agree that it is having some issues from 129 satellite......

Bigger 1000.2 dish would help some, a separate dish dedicated to 129 would help a little more, the best solution is a separate dish pointed at 61.5, and dump 129 completely, if you don't need something that's exclusive to 129 (locals or RSN).

Try living in the NW. The 129 has started dropping signal every 20 minutes just like every year. The winter isn't so bad but the spring/summer time it’s bad.

Oh yea, keep saying "next year". If you believe that, you're naive....