sport bike

Status
Not open for further replies.

truckracer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 17, 2004
Charleston wv
I would like the input from sportbike owners.

I am thinking of buying a new or mostly new Yamaha R6.
I wanted a Ninja Z-10R but the insurance on the ninja was an additional $1800 per year:eek:

I have a great driving record and have two trucks and a 2005 GTO insured.

No speeding tickets and no accidents.

Insurance on an R6 is 400.00 per year with great coverage.

What are the pros and cons of the Yamaha R6?
I rode one and like it.

I want to do a high flow air filter, exhaust, ecm re-map.

Stupid question, but do you already ride a bike ? The NINJA, in my opinion, is a stupid amount of power/speed and is really impractical. Even a 600 would be limited... Hell, if they'd market a 400cc sport-bike, I'd be interested. For around town or even out in the twisty, curvy road, it will fly ... and as long as there aren't a lot of straights, it would probably outrun a 600 or 1000 cc bike.

Only thing I'd be hesitant about with a used sportbike is that they likely were "abused". Then again, those engines are designed to spin at 10,000+ RPMs, so maybe it wouldn't harm them. Question is, were they "broke in" gently or did the owner just go nuts from the get-go ? If broken in right, I wouldn't be as concerned.

Thanks, I am now considering (strongly) a GSX-R 600 for approx 3500.00 dollars with very low miles, No mods, new tires.

Don't rush to "enhance" the bike. Many of the modifications to fuelie vehicles don't substantially improve their overall performance; they just make them more finicky and/or peaky.

The R6 is a fine bike. The Gixxer is also a fine bike. The CBR600 is a fine bike.

I'm a big boy, so I went with the rather expensive (but impressively appointed) Honda VFR and find that it gets more miles per year than my cages and considerably better mileage than any of them.

You're much more likely to find an un-wrecked sport bike than you are to find a pristine cruiser.

Hmmm, I saw one of Van's posts yesterday and it had some good "advice" in it in addition to the links to other websites... truckracer, did you see those posts ?

Seems they could have been edited to remove the links instead of deleting the entire post(s).

Low miles but new tires ? What does that tell you ? :D
A set of sport bike tires won't last all that long, so it is all relative. I'd say that getting 6,000 out of a rear tire is doing pretty good. Maintaining pressure is imperative.

Remember that we're talking about a class of bikes that puts 100HP in a 450 pound airframe.

everyone I have spoke with says the tires are super soft compound that wears out fast but gets super traction on dry clean pavement.

I have Nitto drag radials 275/40/R17 on the rear of my 2005 Pontiac GTO. I know they don't last long even babying them. This car is putting down over 450 hp to the wheels out of a 6.0 LS2 small block.

I rode my buddie's Yamaha R6 and loved it. His is modded a little. BTW, I am not nearly as "brave" on a motorcycle as I am in my car-LOL. I took it pretty easy on the sportbike.

The handling was so impressive on sportbike.

Status
Not open for further replies.