Sport Package and Blackouts in Missouri/Kansas

theflavor

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2006
Kansas City
I am St. Louis (STL) Cardinals fan living in Kansas City (KC).

I signed up for the multi sports package (fox sports, rsn, etc...).

So far I have only been able to watch two games, one was on one of the alternative channels and the other was a free preview from MBL EI on chan 625. After searching for cardinals and looking at all the games for the next week only one is available to me and that is not until saturday. The home-town opener is in STL and the brand new stadium is gonna be broken in. It is very frusterating knowing that I'm paying for this sports package and have only been able to see very few games so far.

Is this just a problem with satellite or with FSN. When I lived in STL, I was able to watch almost every game on FSN MW and WB, even when living in the town I didn't have blackouts, what is the reason for blackouts when you don't even live there, now living over 200 miles away.

FSN MW also serves the KC area, could this be a reason for the mass amounts of blackouts. What options do I have to guarantee being able to see a majority of the games? I believe that my options are MLB EI or the live streaming option from http://www.mlb.tv. MLB.tv is about $100 cheaper, but you have to watch the game on your computer, which I don't think I'd be willing to do.

It is not clear by your post if you're seeing FSNMW and the games are blacked-out, or if you're not seeing FSNMW on your system??
The one game that is available to you, next Saturday's game (the 15th) is not being carried by FSN. It is on the local STL KPLR, channel 11 in STL. You didn't specify what channel your search yielded. It is showing to be on MLB EI?

The home opener on Monday is going to be simulcast on FSNMW and FSNMW-HD, and broadcast in SD on Dish channel 418 @ 119° and in HD on either Dish channel 9467 @ 110° (it's already on the EPG) or on Dish channel 9428, which currently an inactive channel.
If you have an HD package, perhaps you can see the home opener there.

I can see all the FSN channels on my program guide

I just did another search and these are the items that came up when I searched for "cardinals"

• April 10
  • Alt 1 - 445 - Blackout
  • Alt 2 - 445 - Blackout
  • ------
  • 4/13
  • Alt2 - 446 - Blackout
  • ------
  • 4/16
  • Alt3 - 447 - Available
  • -------
  • 4/17
  • Alt3 - 447 - Available

I can actually use the guide and scroll over to 2pm CDT and see the Cards game on 418 - FSNMW, but it is also a blackout(it didn't show up in the search)

You may want to recheck your search a little closer to the game dates as blackouts do not appear at first and are added four or five days before the game. Note: MLBtv follows the same blackout rules that E* has to. The only thing I found so far without blackouts is XM Radio.

Since you are in Kansas City, the ST Louis games are blacked out as St Louis cant claim KC as its area

The Regional Sports pack blacks out all out of market pro sports...period

So since you are in KC, you can see the Royals games but not the Cardinals. If you want to see the Cardinals games, you need MLB EI

I get FSMW near Omaha NE too and can only see the Royals games. THis is a Royals claimed area. All the Card's games are blacked out for my ZIP and all around me. ITis not DISH or FSMW. It is the way that major league baseball has it set up. You can only see one market that claims you in most cases.

blackout zip codes

according to mlb.tv my zip code shows in the blackout region for the royals but not for the cardinals

If EI follows the same rules as mlb.tv would I be able to view stl games on EI or mlb.tv or am I up the creek both ways.

Iceberg said:
The Regional Sports pack blacks out all out of market pro sports...period

except for flagship RSNs of teams claiming one's zip code part of their home area, that dish does not include in the regular packs

theflavor said:
according to mlb.tv my zip code shows in the blackout region for the royals but not for the cardinals

If EI follows the same rules as mlb.tv would I be able to view stl games on EI or mlb.tv or am I up the creek both ways.

correct...mlb.tv blacks out the local games, not the out of market games.

Since St Louis cannot claim KC, you can see the games on MLB EI or MLB.TV

BFG said:
except for flagship RSNs of teams claiming one's zip code part of their home area, that dish does not include in the regular packs

Very true - in my area, you HAVE to get Multisports to GET Cardinals games, as we ONLY get Comcast Sports Chicago in our AT packs. BUT, every cable system in my area has BOTH on expanded basic, which makes many Cards fans VERY unhappy with DBS for this reason.... ;) :rolleyes:

Iceberg said:
Since St Louis cannot claim KC, you can see the games on MLB EI or MLB.TV

Since STL can't claim KC as a local market, shouldn't I be able to view STL games in KC, or is it basically setup that if you want to watch any game that isn't on ESPN/Fox then you need EI.

Is this blackout thing only a satellite thing? When I had cable service in St. Louis and Springfield, MO. I was able to watch most of the games on WB and FSNMW.

No the blackouts exists on all platforms. Any team you want to watch that isn't part of your market requires that you have MLBEI

BFG said:
No the blackouts exists on all platforms. Any team you want to watch that isn't part of your market requires that you have MLBEI

This answers my question, thanks all that helped

Now I just need to decide if I wanna save $100 and get mlb.tv and have to watch games on my pc or pay $100 more and watch games on the tv.

Does EI include the multi-sports package, or how does it handle if the game is going to be broadcast on local/rsn regardless of region

EI shows the games that are on the RSN's and usually the home teams broadcast

So if the Cards are at home and on FSN MW you'll probably see that feed
If they are on the road, you'll see the "other" teams telecast (unless only FSN MW is showing the game then you'll get that)
If they're on KPLR 11, then you'll get the "other" teams broadcast (MLB EI doesnt show games not on RSN's)

Normally they show the "home" teams feed unless its
-not available (Commycast Philly, Cox cable 4 (SD))
-not a US channel (Rogers Sportsnet for Blue Jays)
-on a broadcast channel (KPLR as an example)

theflavor said:
I am St. Louis (STL) Cardinals fan living in Kansas City (KC).

I signed up for the multi sports package (fox sports, rsn, etc...).

So far I have only been able to watch two games, one was on one of the alternative channels and the other was a free preview from MBL EI on chan 625. After searching for cardinals and looking at all the games for the next week only one is available to me and that is not until saturday. The home-town opener is in STL and the brand new stadium is gonna be broken in. It is very frusterating knowing that I'm paying for this sports package and have only been able to see very few games so far.

Is this just a problem with satellite or with FSN. When I lived in STL, I was able to watch almost every game on FSN MW and WB, even when living in the town I didn't have blackouts, what is the reason for blackouts when you don't even live there, now living over 200 miles away.

FSN MW also serves the KC area, could this be a reason for the mass amounts of blackouts. What options do I have to guarantee being able to see a majority of the games? I believe that my options are MLB EI or the live streaming option from http://www.mlb.tv. MLB.tv is about $100 cheaper, but you have to watch the game on your computer, which I don't think I'd be willing to do.

just checked MLB.com..the zips around the KC, MO/KS area 660,661,640,641 are NOT on the MLB.TV blackout list..that means the Cardinals are considered and out of market team in you area...Therefore FSMW will black out Cardinals games in your area..To see these games you must get the EI package...MLB.tv is cheaper but the video over cable broadband(can't speak for DSL) is choppy ..I would not get MLB.tv

If I get MLBEI in what situations would I not be able to watch a game? Besides it being broadcast on Fox or ESPN, which I'd be able to watch anyways. Are there any other situation in which a blackout would occur?

theflavor said:
If I get MLBEI in what situations would I not be able to watch a game? Besides it being broadcast on Fox or ESPN, which I'd be able to watch anyways. Are there any other situation in which a blackout would occur?
Dish blacks-out local market games. For example, if your RSN (Regional Sports Network) is FSN and you have a local TV station who telecasts Royals games, when the game is on either your RSN or Local, Dish will black it out on MLB EI.

Granted, there is no logic to this. Dish says "it's policy." The RSN's and Locals say it's crazy because it is just a re-transmission of the RSN/Local broadcast.
And, Directv does not black them out.

A Dish CSR should be able to tell you which MLB EI games will be blacked-out in your local market.

I signed up for the multi-sports package on sunday with the hopes of watching the Cards :(

I only subscribe to the top 60 package w/out the regional sports channels.

I'm wondering if I drop the multi-sports package will I potentially be missing out on games or will all games that could be broadcast on the RSN also be broadcast on EI?

theflavor said:
I signed up for the multi-sports package on sunday with the hopes of watching the Cards :(

I only subscribe to the top 60 package w/out the regional sports channels.

I'm wondering if I drop the multi-sports package will I potentially be missing out on games or will all games that could be broadcast on the RSN also be broadcast on EI?
Presently, Dish does not duplicate broadcasts. If you get the Cards games on FSNMW (RSN), Dish will black them out on MLB EI.
If you do not get the Cards games on a RSN, you should be able to get them on MLB EI. You should call Dish to confirm which teams are blacked-out in your market, and whether the black-outs are on RSN or MLB EI, or both.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts