Terminators or Caps for unused DPP Twin LNB "in?"

jdmart

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 29, 2003
Albuquerque
Should the unused LNB "IN" on a Dpp Twin LNBF for a 2nd dish be 75 ohm terminated, capped (no stinger) or can I just slip a plastic cap over it to help keep out dust and moisture?

that port is providing LNB voltage, if you don't have a LNB connected you sure don't want to short or terminate it. Plastic cap only.

I ask this question last week about the out terminals on the DP34 and the answer i got was to terminate them. Is this not correct?

I use terminator caps when I have them on any unused LNB outputs.
With the DP44 Plus input port on the LNB, do not use a terminator.
As far as waterproofing protection goes on a LNB or switch, I make up a connector with about 1" of protuding cable and the center conductor cut off so no electrical contact is possible. Thread it on and bingo, waterproof.

If it's an unused port on the LNB, it is safe to termnate it if you wish.
There is NO voltage on the unused port of an LNB.
the LNB does not make voltage, it uses it from the receiver.

I personally use plastic caps, but that is because I have a crapload of them, but have terminated unused ports on LNBs many times. And have even hooked up the ol voltmeter just to check. It's all good.

Now that we know we can terminate the unused port on an LNB, how about a switch, like the DPP44?

I got out the ol voltmeter again.

The 4 satellite inputs that connect to LNBs, Do not terminate these, cap them w/ plastic/rubber.
If you have 3 inputs, and 1 unused, the unused has no voltage until you run a check switch, as I have discovered Aprox 17V come on during a check switch. ( It's most likely supplying power looking for an LNB )

The 4 ports to connect another switch, I would also cap these instead of terminating them since they kind of, in a way, but not exactly are a passthrough to the inputs.

Now the 4 outputs to receivers. I saw no voltage on these, so possibly safe to terminate.

Now on to terminators... There is no real advantage to terminating LNBs as like there is with Cable TV, which with cable, reduces ghosting, by not allowing the signal to reverse back through the coax. and a nice tight plastic, or rubber cap will waterproof better, in my opinion.