LNB Caps shot

H2Guy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 28, 2022
Santa Fe
Hi, anyone have a suggestion where I might be able to purchase the white plastic caps that go on the LNB's? My 1000.4 LNB's plastic caps have deteriorated to the point where one has fallen off and decentagrated into pieces. Doesn't seem to affect the signal but I am sure its just a matter of time before the weather destroys it.

Well as usually, Dish customer service has let me down, not only do they not have replacement LNB caps they also don't have a complete LNB they can send me. So, I went on the roof and took a picture of the LNB and am trying to identify if. I do think it is a 1000.4 but have been told it may be a 1000.2. It is in the western arc being here in NM. Perhaps one of the guru's here can positively identify the LNB.

Unfortunately there are no numbers on it anywhere so hopefully the picture will help,
Thanks

Attachments

• sat.jpg
    sat.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 51
Well, perhaps this might help, underneath a silver tag that said Digital LNBF I found another and attached a picture.
I did some google searches which did not help a great deal but the fact the number ends in 1004 makes me wonder if my thought are correct and that it in fact is a 1000.4, Comments,?
tag.jpg

Reactions: charlesrshell
Looks like a 1000.2 dish. But can tell for sure because the 1004 dish will have a long threaded rid on the back for elevation adjustment. Also a 1000.4 lnb has three tabs on bottom and 1000.2 has two.

Instead of calling in asking for something they can't do, tell them you're having signal issues and to send out a tech and the tech will replace the lnb. In the meantime if you're worried about moisture can put silicone around the edge then cover it with clear packing tape then wrap a piece of wire around it. If you do it right that would honestly probably last a year or two lol. But easiest thing to do is setup up a tech visit.

I contacted Dish and complained about signal problems as suggested but they want to charge me a service fee of $100 plus the cost of a replacement LNB since my equipment is so old and outdated and I don't have a service contract with them.

I purchased a 1000.4 in the box off of Craigslist, unfortunately now that I have them side by side it is different then the one on my dish, looks like it would fit but the spacing on the LNB's are a little different with the 2 outer lnb's out a little further then the old unit. So my guess is that even if it bolts up it probably won't work correctly.

I am going to check with a local Dish service installation company to see if they have an old 1000.2 LNB I can pick up. For now I am using TJBoston's for now until I get this sorted out. Really, this only needs to last until my contract is over then I am going to move on anyway.

WA is 1000.2. 1000.4 (EA) LNBF will not work. There should probably be 1000.2s all over the place for low bucks on eBay, etc. with all of the cord cutting.

However, in my dealer experience you can lose LNBF unit covering and it's fine. They're sealed electronics and the gray plastic covering is really just for aesthetics.

Im in New Mexico, so does the 1000.2 issue as described above apply? If so what was the 1000.4 unit LNBF used for?
Thx for the useful info!

The overall DiSH "EA/WA" scheme, over a decade back, was to offer a 2nd option for antenna (dish) directional pointing and placement. The original DiSH service broadcast from 119 and added some xpdrs from 110 a couple years later for "DiSH 500," which implied "500 channels" and required a dish/LNBF arrangement modified to receive both of those locations simultaneously (DiSH 500 antenna with 2 (dual) LNBFs), making for the first multi-locational service in DBS. They then came out with the "Twin" LNBF that unitized the 2 LNBFs into one assembly. Then along came HD and they needed more bandwidth yet to cover broadcasting both SD & HD, so they went with adding 129, and, you guessed it, another dish mod, to use a triple LNBF to catch 110, 119 and 129- "DiSH 1000."

However, dish-aiming angles had never been all that great in much of the country, particularly in the east, with 110/119, especially compared with DTV being at 101. Adding 129 only made it the more painful in trying to obtain line of sight. Given that they were at the height of their subscriber acquisition and profitability at this time, they made decision to essentially replicate this western-pointing location cluster over on the eastern side of the (south-facing) satellite arc, likewise using 3 locations. This would open look-angle availability to more homes, especially in the east. I was happy at first, as it was also promoted that dealers could pick from either arrangement depending on look-angle need- if trees be in the way for one side, you could go point to the other. But in short order we learned it wouldn't be that simple, as any given area's LOCALS were only put on ONE of the "arcs" as they called them (the overall line through the sky for geo sat pointing, from east to west facing south, is in shape of an arc). So we had to stay with what they now called Western Arc (WA) if expecting any satellite locals. Likewise, other markets, some right next to ours, had their locals put on the Eastern Arc (EA) sats and were stuck with pointing east (if wanting sat locals).

As the spacing between locations differed for the EA sats from that of the WA's, they had to add a 2nd version of their triple-LNBF (1000) dish with differing LNBF feedhorn spacing to line up with their EA locations. Thus they then branched DiSH 1000 into 1000.2 (for WA) and 1000.4 (for EA). Subscribers in the western US have never had much trouble hitting the westerly-located DiSH service, and 1000.2 is their mainstay dish. You just have to have the 1000.2-fitting LNBF. As to the caps over the feedhorns, pretty much the same situation as with the outer covers. Not necessarily needed. I've seen them be off and they keep working. Again they're sealed, plus they point downward to where water won't collect. All I can think of that would bother the signal would maybe be insects building a nest- unlikely but possible.

The overall DiSH "EA/WA" scheme, over a decade back, was to offer a 2nd option for antenna (dish) directional pointing and placement. The original DiSH service broadcast from 119 and added some xpdrs from 110 a couple years later for "DiSH 500," which implied "500 channels" and required a dish/LNBF arrangement modified to receive both of those locations simultaneously (DiSH 500 antenna with 2 (dual) LNBFs), making for the first multi-locational service in DBS. They then came out with the "Twin" LNBF that unitized the 2 LNBFs into one assembly. Then along came HD and they needed more bandwidth yet to cover broadcasting both SD & HD, so they went with adding 129, and, you guessed it, another dish mod, to use a triple LNBF to catch 110, 119 and 129- "DiSH 1000."

However, dish-aiming angles had never been all that great in much of the country, particularly in the east, with 110/119, especially compared with DTV being at 101. Adding 129 only made it the more painful in trying to obtain line of sight. Given that they were at the height of their subscriber acquisition and profitability at this time, they made decision to essentially replicate this western-pointing location cluster over on the eastern side of the (south-facing) satellite arc, likewise using 3 locations. This would open look-angle availability to more homes, especially in the east. I was happy at first, as it was also promoted that dealers could pick from either arrangement depending on look-angle need- if trees be in the way for one side, you could go point to the other. But in short order we learned it wouldn't be that simple, as any given area's LOCALS were only put on ONE of the "arcs" as they called them (the overall line through the sky for geo sat pointing, from east to west facing south, is in shape of an arc). So we had to stay with what they now called Western Arc (WA) if expecting any satellite locals. Likewise, other markets, some right next to ours, had their locals put on the Eastern Arc (EA) sats and were stuck with pointing east (if wanting sat locals).

As the spacing between locations differed for the EA sats from that of the WA's, they had to add a 2nd version of their triple-LNBF (1000) dish with differing LNBF feedhorn spacing to line up with their EA locations. Thus they then branched DiSH 1000 into 1000.2 (for WA) and 1000.4 (for EA). Subscribers in the western US have never had much trouble hitting the westerly-located DiSH service, and 1000.2 is their mainstay dish. You just have to have the 1000.2-fitting LNBF. As to the caps over the feedhorns, pretty much the same situation as with the outer covers. Not necessarily needed. I've seen them be off and they keep working. Again they're sealed, plus they point downward to where water won't collect. All I can think of that would bother the signal would maybe be insects building a nest- unlikely but possible.
Thanks Telstar, that clears things up a great deal! The 1000.4 LNBF had WA after the part number so I thought it was a Western ARC LNBF but looks like I was wrong. I guess I could always try to get the caps of and use them on my 1000.2. But for now just put some plastic wrap over the broken one with a tyrap. lol

Thanks Telstar, that clears things up a great deal! The 1000.4 LNBF had WA after the part number so I thought it was a Western ARC LNBF but looks like I was wrong. I guess I could always try to get the caps of and use them on my 1000.2. But for now just put some plastic wrap over the broken one with a tyrap. lol
It is a western arc. 1000.4 lnbs come in both WA and EA. If it has three feedhorns it's WA.
Again the 1000.4 has an adjustment rod for elevation. I found a picture showing the difference.

As far as a tech visit goes, do not mention the lnb at all. Just say you don't have signal and need a tech. Sounds like you don't have protection plan but if you threaten to cancel they will usually waive the fee or give you the protection plan free for 1-3 months. Or you can add the protection plan online then call in and then take it off next month.

Attachments

• IMG_2708.jpeg
    IMG_2708.jpeg
    684.4 KB · Views: 35
It is a western arc. 1000.4 lnbs come in both WA and EA. If it has three feedhorns it's WA.
Again the 1000.4 has an adjustment rod for elevation. I found a picture showing the difference.

As far as a tech visit goes, do not mention the lnb at all. Just say you don't have signal and need a tech. Sounds like you don't have protection plan but if you threaten to cancel they will usually waive the fee or give you the protection plan free for 1-3 months. Or you can add the protection plan online then call in and then take it off next month.
except you have to keep the protect plan for 6 months or get charged a fee per terms--what they do or not who knows

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 10-44-13 6c_residential-agreement--English.pdf.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 10-44-13 6c_residential-agreement--English.pdf.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 22
except you have to keep the protect plan for 6 months or get charged a fee per terms--what they do or not who knows
When you call in and say you're not paying for the tech visit and/or threaten to cancel, csr has the ability to add protection plan for 1 or 3 months for free and then it automatically falls off with no penalty. Lot cheaper than the $95 tech visit. If you're good at arguing though they can and will waive everything and send a tech for free.

Also it can't hurt to also keep in mind that they've recently stopped using 129 and have (re)consolidated on 110/119, so you actually don't even need a 1000 type dish anymore on WA- the old 500 will do quite nicely as well.

I put the 1000.2 and the 1000.4 side by side. The mounting is exactly the same between the 2, they both have 4 coax connector point and the mounts are identical.

The only difference I see between the two is that the 2 outer most LNB's are about 1/2 inch wider on the 1000.4 vs the 1000.2. I am positive that the 1000.4 would bolt on without any issues but perhaps the wider spacing of the 1000.4 LNBF might be a problem. I might just swap it out and see what happens, worst case scenaro is I will need to put the original one back if the 1000.4 won't work or align.

I just wish I had an easy way to see the signal without having to rely on the wife to hold an Iphone up to the signal page on the TV, lol. I was going to borrow my buddies GT Media hand held signal meter but someone else told me these wont work with dish.

I put the 1000.2 and the 1000.4 side by side. The mounting is exactly the same between the 2, they both have 4 coax connector point and the mounts are identical.

The only difference I see between the two is that the 2 outer most LNB's are about 1/2 inch wider on the 1000.4 vs the 1000.2. I am positive that the 1000.4 would bolt on without any issues but perhaps the wider spacing of the 1000.4 LNBF might be a problem. I might just swap it out and see what happens, worst case scenaro is I will need to put the original one back if the 1000.4 won't work or align.

I just wish I had an easy way to see the signal without having to rely on the wife to hold an Iphone up to the signal page on the TV, lol. I was going to borrow my buddies GT Media hand held signal meter but someone else told me these wont work with dish.
The 1000.2 reflector is slightly smaller than the 1000.4 reflector,so there may be some slight signal strength loss. A .2 LNB works perfectly with a .4 reflector, but I have not tried one the other way around.