LNB Drift?

Mister B

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 3, 2008
El Paso County Texas
I returned to DISH about two weeks ago and happened across the "issues" button in the "status" section of settings. It shows "LNB Drift detected". Sometimes it is both satellites and other times just one. The numbers in parenthesis are generally around -5 or -6.
Most of the threads on this subject are for FTA or are over 10 years old. Could this just be a consequence of 129 being deleted or some other software glitch or did they give me a refurbished LNB with this problem?
The installers did not ground the system in any way. Yesterday, I ran a ground wire down from the dish, through the hub and connected it to the ground on my electrical pole. There is no change in the "Drift" readings but I at least feel more secure that it is properly grounded.

I returned to DISH about two weeks ago and happened across the "issues" button in the "status" section of settings. It shows "LNB Drift detected". Sometimes it is both satellites and other times just one. The numbers in parenthesis are generally around -5 or -6.
Most of the threads on this subject are for FTA or are over 10 years old. Could this just be a consequence of 129 being deleted or some other software glitch or did they give me a refurbished LNB with this problem?
The installers did not ground the system in any way. Yesterday, I ran a ground wire down from the dish, through the hub and connected it to the ground on my electrical pole. There is no change in the "Drift" readings but I at least feel more secure that it is properly grounded.
Grounding has nothing to do with it. Bonding the dish to a ground point only serves to remove static from the Dish itself.

LNB drift can come from to causes. One is a Dish that is not properly peaked, the other from an LNB, that may be a refurb or is failing.