Failing LNB?

dare2be

SatelliteGuys God
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 15, 2011
FL
My 722 lost signal during a thunderstorm (typical Florida cloud cover event) but didn't come back after the storm passed. After multiple reset attempts and checking the point dish screen (all zeros on both 61.5 and 72.7), I discovered that if I leave the point dish screen up and unscrew the coax from the receiver and screw it back in, I get my signals and channels back (low-50s on 72, low 70s on 61.5), but they go away after about 10-15 minutes. I can reliably repeat the process...disconnect/reconnect, signals stay for a while, and then disappear again.

LNB? Grounding? Voltage/resistance issue in the cabling? I'd like some suggestions before initiating a service call.

One thing I noticed is that the signal will return as soon as a get the cable near the back connector and before contact is made with the connector. Feels like an over-voltage or under-resistance issue to me.

Sounds like it might be a developing an over heating problem (Florida heat?).

I started having a similar issue. Even though I now have a Hopper3, I’m still using the LNB that was installed with my original 722 15+ years ago. It started to act sick, dropouts, macro-blocking, etc. Disconnecting it like you did at the receiver also fixed the problem for a day or two.

Being that old, the LNB was very sun damaged, cracked and just looked tired. Ordered a new LNB from Solid Signal and installed it myself; problem solved.

Otherwise, as Bobby said, a truck roll.

Went through the disconnect procedure again this morning and now the signal appears stable (2 hours and counting). I fear it may have been water intrusion that eventually evaporated away.

Went through the disconnect procedure again this morning and now the signal appears stable (2 hours and counting). I fear it may have been water intrusion that eventually evaporated away.
There would have to be a crack in the white plastic covers over each head, for that to happen. If you can safely get to it, then you should inspect it for any cracks and if it is then can have a tech come out and replace it. Or if it's not a big crack can put some silicone on it.

Reactions: charlesrshell
My 722 lost signal during a thunderstorm (typical Florida cloud cover event) but didn't come back after the storm passed. After multiple reset attempts and checking the point dish screen (all zeros on both 61.5 and 72.7), I discovered that if I leave the point dish screen up and unscrew the coax from the receiver and screw it back in, I get my signals and channels back (low-50s on 72, low 70s on 61.5), but they go away after about 10-15 minutes. I can reliably repeat the process...disconnect/reconnect, signals stay for a while, and then disappear again.

LNB? Grounding? Voltage/resistance issue in the cabling? I'd like some suggestions before initiating a service call.

One thing I noticed is that the signal will return as soon as a get the cable near the back connector and before contact is made with the connector. Feels like an over-voltage or under-resistance issue to me.
That voltage can be checked with the IRD Port on the Sat Buddy and a jumper to the Coax In on the Hopper. For a Hopper it should be showing about 26Volts. For a VIP 722 about 17 Volts but you may have water damage, not at the LNB but in the Cabling/Connections

Reactions: charlesrshell