SportsPak?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Willis

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
Maybe someone knows the answer to this. I have the SportsPak, when MLB Spring Training games are on live I receive them, but the replays are blacked out (Not available in your area)..??

I had sports pack, EVERY thing worth watching was blacked out. It truly seamed that they wanted to push the MLB NFL NHL packs on you, Same with ESPN-a channels. Whats the point when they just block out everything.

Eric Goempel said:
I had sports pack, EVERY thing worth watching was blacked out. It truly seamed that they wanted to push the MLB NFL NHL packs on you, Same with ESPN-a channels. Whats the point when they just block out everything.

Yeah but its the only way to get ESPNU and CSTV if you like college stuff.

Willis said:
Maybe someone knows the answer to this. I have the SportsPak, when MLB Spring Training games are on live I receive them, but the replays are blacked out (Not available in your area)..??

I have never checked out the replays, but I have watched quite a few live and only had one "Not Available In Your Area", come up. Think it was a Twins game.

I had it come up for the yankees games on their network plus teams from all over the country. Not sure how Ohio got to be part of the new york dma or Toronto's!!

I have the Sports Pack and I pretty much like it. Yes, all the "good" stuff is blacked out, but it gets wierd sometimes. Some stuff that should be blacked out isn't sometimes, so I feel like I'm getting something for free, which is always fun. I've been debating on whether to get rid of it, but I do watch it fairly often. I hate that the replays are blacked out also, that seems a bit overboard to me.

The interesting thing with baseball though, is that for some odd reason, I'm in 4 teams local markets. I live in North Carolina and I'm considered "local" for the Orioles, Nationals, Braves and Reds. So I get their games on FoxSport Nets which makes it worth it too.

Sometime blackouts can be lifted base on sell out correct? or percentage of seats sold before X-time before game day. Sometimes game are blackout on SportsNets because one of your local affiliates has the carriage rights.

tonester said:
I have the Sports Pack and I pretty much like it. Yes, all the "good" stuff is blacked out, but it gets wierd sometimes. Some stuff that should be blacked out isn't sometimes, so I feel like I'm getting something for free, which is always fun. I've been debating on whether to get rid of it, but I do watch it fairly often. I hate that the replays are blacked out also, that seems a bit overboard to me.

The interesting thing with baseball though, is that for some odd reason, I'm in 4 teams local markets. I live in North Carolina and I'm considered "local" for the Orioles, Nationals, Braves and Reds. So I get their games on FoxSport Nets which makes it worth it too.

I can understand replays being blacked out if the Live Event was blacked out. What I don't get is when a replay is blacked out but the Live Event wasn't...

Spring Training games have been crazy but normally ALL pro sports out of your market are blacked out..due to terrestrial rights.

It has nothing to do with sellouts. You won't get out of market pro sports

As an example, I live in MN. All I get are the Twins, Wolfies and Wild. If I want to see other sports teams, I would need MLB EI, NBA LP or NHL CI

Eric Goempel said:
I had sports pack, EVERY thing worth watching was blacked out. It truly seamed that they wanted to push the MLB NFL NHL packs on you,
um, DUH! Thats how they mnake money. They can't let you see out of market sports because of regional rights. Thats why they have OUT OF MARKET packages like NHL CI, NBA LP & MLB EI

Same with ESPN-a channels. Whats the point when they just block out everything.
the only time ESPN-alt channels should be blacked out is if its a local team game that another network has (like FSN)

ICEBERG:

charper1 said:
Sometime blackouts can be lifted base on sell out correct? or percentage of seats sold before X-time before game day.

I guess I should have said LOCAL blackouts.

charper1 said:
Sometimes game are blackout on SportsNets because one of your local affiliates has the carriage rights.

On this, are we saying the same thing?

If its on your local RSN regardless of sellout or not.

Originally Posted by charper1
Sometimes game are blackout on SportsNets because one of your local affiliates has the carriage rights.
correct. If ESPN has a Twins game, I am blacked out. I would have to watch it on FSN. I do get alternate programming on ESPN (alt)

If you want the cheap way out get XM. You can do the same thing with Sirius and the NFL. I have listen to some of spring training and most of the WBC and love it. It will be cheaper than getting EI.

The Tate said:
If you want the cheap way out get XM. You can do the same thing with Sirius and the NFL. I have listen to some of spring training and most of the WBC and love it. It will be cheaper than getting EI.

BUT wouldn't that be regressing back to the days of before TV?

charper1 said:
BUT wouldn't that be regressing back to the days of before TV?

Yhea but I still love it. It may not work for everyone but I love the way it gives it that old time feeling. All of the highlights you can get on SC.

Iceberg said:
um, DUH! Thats how they mnake money. They can't let you see out of market sports because of regional rights. Thats why they have OUT OF MARKET packages like NHL CI, NBA LP & MLB EI

OK mister smarty pants. How do you justify selling a product (the sports pack) then blocking most everything worth watching on it so you have to buy 4 more premium packages to watch the programing? Your local fox sports is free with the basic package. So the point of the sports package is to watch things from other markets. That is how it is marketed anyway.

Iceberg said:
the only time ESPN-alt channels should be blacked out is if its a local team game that another network has (like FSN)

All the basketball games that were listed to be on ESPNa over the weekend were blacked out. They were not local teams or being shown on other network channels. Only on the March Madness package. Yeah more money to watch something that the $145 bucks a mouth I'm paying should get me free!!!!!!

Well DirecTV, cable and Dish just enforce what rules they are given and clearly state they league blackouts apply. I always tell people NOT to get any sports packs past their in market one; but rather add the "league passes" of the sports they like. It is the best way to go.

I dropped the sports pack with encore and skinamax still have HBO (for the Sopranos) and Showtime (for Penn and Teller Bullsh!t) thats the only time those 2 "packages" are even used. what a waste. I need help.

charper1 said:
Well DirecTV, cable and Dish just enforce what rules they are given and clearly state they league blackouts apply. I always tell people NOT to get any sports packs past their in market one; but rather add the "league passes" of the sports they like. It is the best way to go.

How is it possible that I have to pay extra for FS Detroit ( only 50 miles away) and they give me FS Ohio (200 miles away in Columbus) (I'm in NW Ohio).

If (and I refuse to) I go to the local cable company, they give me FSO, FSCincy, and FS Detroit FREE !!!!!

Why can cable offer this and not D* ?

Jimbo

Last edited:
Eric Goempel said:
OK mister smarty pants. How do you justify selling a product (the sports pack) then blocking most everything worth watching on it so you have to buy 4 more premium packages to watch the programing? Your local fox sports is free with the basic package. So the point of the sports package is to watch things from other markets. That is how it is marketed anyway.
All pro sports have to be blacked outbecause FSN only has REGIONAL rights to those games. There is some good stuff on those other channels
-college sports
-fishing/hunting
-pro wrestling (I use to have the SPorts Pack just for Sunshine Network..they had ECW)
-arena football
-minor league baseball games

All the basketball games that were listed to be on ESPNa over the weekend were blacked out. They were not local teams or being shown on other network channels. Only on the March Madness package. Yeah more money to watch something that the $145 bucks a mouth I'm paying should get me free!!!!!!
that was the womens tournament...different animal. Thiose were only for the local teams area.

When baseball season starts up, you'll get both the ESPN and the alt game

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)