spotbeam reaching outside of CONUS?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

hockeynut5150

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Not sure if this question has been asked before. Is there a way to identify what area spotbeam am I picking up on TP15 on 61.5?. I'm located outside of CONUS

I don't Know if you are outside of CONUS, but if you are you are not within any spot beam. CONUS stands for Continental United States, spot beams are narrow beams covering a specific area within that coverage area. If you are picking up the spot beam on TP15 you are inside of CONUS. If you could list exactly where you are, someone here may be able to tell you or supply a link to a spot beam map.

Spotbeams are obviously narrower than conus beams. But people living adjacent to the US can probably pick up the US spotbeam closest to their location. A big dish will also help.

Yeah it really depends on where you are. Here is how narrow a spot beam can be

Where I live in Minneapolis, I can get a signal on TP23 which is Lacrosse Wisconsin but if I go 100 miles north to our cabin TP23 shows Fargo, ND locals

I don't Know if you are outside of CONUS, but if you are you are not within any spot beam. CONUS stands for Continental United States, spot beams are narrow beams covering a specific area within that coverage area. If you are picking up the spot beam on TP15 you are inside of CONUS. If you could list exactly where you are, someone here may be able to tell you or supply a link to a spot beam map.

I'm located in Costa Rica, I got 3 8 foot dishes (119, 110, 61.5) with a SW64 switch. Right now I got 25 signal strength, locked - name not acquired! on transponder 15.

How is it Dallas?

Disconnect your other dishes or cover the LNBs with foil. It might be bleed over from the switch.

The only way to identify which TID it is, is with an 8PSK PC adapteer with TSReader. Otherwise you will just have to keep moving until you find it.

TP 15 on 119w is CONUS transponder. The Spots on 119w are 1,3,5,7,9. All others on this sat are conus. I have relatives in Cuba watching the Miami channels in Havana. The Miami spot reaches pretty far in the caribe area.

How is it Dallas?

Disconnect your other dishes or cover the LNBs with foil. It might be bleed over from the switch.

The only way to identify which TID it is, is with an 8PSK PC adapteer with TSReader. Otherwise you will just have to keep moving until you find it.

If it was a bleed over from the switch, why would it be only on that particular TP? I don't see any of the other TPs that are spotbeams. Also, I've noticed the signal is very spotty, haven't really taken an hour by hour measurement, but I got signal on it sat. morning while replying to the thread and at roughly the same time yesterday morning, I didn't get any signal at all

BTW, Dallas is 1768 miles from here as the crow flies, could it be some spot in southern Florida?

Thanks digi!

We've seen how common bleed over is with 61.5 since some TPs are not even on. The receiver will pick it up from another orbital but due to the bad signal it can not identify it.

Only way to tell if it is bleed over is to disable the other dishes with foil or unhook them.

Digi, you quite not right - those phantom signal on non-existing TPNs usually came from adjusted transponders,as software try to compensate non-existing "LOF drift" when signal is 0 and shift the frequency to far to pick next TPN.

The map over at the EKB indicates that 61.5W spotbeam 15 covers the Tulsa-Topeka-Witchita-K.C. area. A spotbeam pointed there would not leak out of the CONUS footprint.

As is NY as of the other day.
And several Texas HD locals as I pointed out above. The OP is in Costa Rica, and was specifically asking about Florida locals since Dallas is 1768 miles away. I did not check the miles to Florida as opposed to Texas, and just assumed :rolleyes: Texas was closer. Turns out Florida is.

The map over at the EKB indicates that 61.5W spotbeam 15 covers the Tulsa-Topeka-Witchita-K.C. area. A spotbeam pointed there would not leak out of the CONUS footprint.

The map numbering put out by R/L DBS (VOOM) for Rainbow 1 is not the same numbering Dish decided to use. We probably need someone with photoshop and knowledge of the E* numbering system to put out a new map to end the confusion.

Ft Myers, FL is on transponder 15.
More specifically, TP 15 on spotbeam 9 (spotbeam 12 according to TNGTony's listing???). I'm don't know if DISH Network has renumbered the spotbeams from the original Cablevision layout or not.

According to one map, the Florida spotbeam has eight transponders represented.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)