Spring Cleaning for the Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

penguinsix

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
This was my first winter with a dish outside, and I've had a bit of signal degredation over the last few months that I'm kind of thinking is due to some earth shifting or bolts loosened or change in temperature or something.

Is it common to have a "spring cleaning" where you readjust the dish to make sure you are getting the best signal after a bit of winter, or should I be worried about something more severe?

penguinsix said:
This was my first winter with a dish outside, and I've had a bit of signal degredation over the last few months that I'm kind of thinking is due to some earth shifting or bolts loosened or change in temperature or something.

Is it common to have a "spring cleaning" where you readjust the dish to make sure you are getting the best signal after a bit of winter, or should I be worried about something more severe?

Also check for bad / loose coax or coax connectors . Look for where water may have gotten where it should not .

As far as the dish itself , certailly check for loose fasteners . As far as the pole , take a level with you .

As far as dish aiming , did you previously put a witness mark on the dish & pole ?

Is this a Ku or C band dish ?

Wyr

In my case I found some oxidation on the coax connectors (the inner conductor). I used some fine sandpaper to gently clean the center conductor until it was shiny again. This time I sealed the connectors with silicone sealant after I reconnected them. This made quite a difference in signal quality for me.

techpuppy said:
In my case I found some oxidation on the coax connectors (the inner conductor). I used some fine sandpaper to gently clean the center conductor until it was shiny again. This time I sealed the connectors with silicone sealant after I reconnected them. This made quite a difference in signal quality for me.

:)

Or , if the coax is long enough , cut the connector off & crimp on another . Coax connectors are avalable with a rubber O ring to help keep water out .

Wyr

Its also good to use a compression fitting (such as Digicon DS6UT, PPC EX6, or Snap N Seal) to terminate your cables. The cable and DBS satellite companies swear by these, they're excellent for keeping the elements out (unlike the older crimp-on connectors).

Watch for wasp nests!

penguinsix said:

Had a few nasty Wasp nests in my BUD's feedhorn last year! Rotten critters!
Jeff

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)