Sprint To Bring FM Radio To Select Android and Windows Smartphones

I'm not entirely clear on what Sprint is going to provide that is not already available. There are already Android apps that let you listen to a variety of radio stations that provide internet streams. Of course those apps also consume data (which may not be an issue if you are on Sprint's unlimited plan.) My phone (on AT&T) is an HTC Inspire. I chose that phone, in part, because it has a built in FM tuner - allowing me to listen to local FM stations off the air - with no data consumed at all. I wish more phone makers included an FM tuner.

The HTC Evo I had when we had Sprint also had a built in FM tuner. I don't see how this is so new.

I think all Windows Phones that were 7.5 had built in FM Tuners... at least all of the ones I've owned (Samsung Focus, Focus Flash, HTC HD 7s, HTC Surround, Lumia 900).

The Windows Phone 8 phones released have the FM Tuners built in but the software is blocked (supposedly by MS). If that is the case I am not sure how Sprint can promise FM Radio for windows phones unless they are releasing an app for it.

I think all Windows Phones that were 7.5 had built in FM Tuners... at least all of the ones I've owned (Samsung Focus, Focus Flash, HTC HD 7s, HTC Surround, Lumia 900).

The Windows Phone 8 phones released have the FM Tuners built in but the software is blocked (supposedly by MS). If that is the case I am not sure how Sprint can promise FM Radio for windows phones unless they are releasing an app for it.

Yeah my Windows Phone 7.5 has a Built in Tuner but sounds like Sprint putting together their combine App or something geared more for FM Stations maybe they have gotten some kind of special permission to use the Apps at no cost to their users to pull in certain stations or something. But again not really for sure what their trying to do since you already can do allot of this.

More here

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/09/sprint-fm-radio-and-entertain-me/

Some US models of phones, delete the FM tuner found in *international* models.

With all the on-board storage, and FM tuners, I see little reason to consume that data plan. ;)

edit: upon closer reading, Sprint has a lot more up its sleeve than an FM tuner.
More like Pandora on steroids.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)