SS 84 Max

rer2

Original poster
Dec 31, 2016
That's the best I can get. Will not load channels.
Using Orbytv dish & LNB.
Account activated.
Sim & serial #s correct.
Installation towards N Florida.
SQ 99
Thanks.

84 should be fine. My SQ is about that, but I have a diplexer and splitter in the line. Try unplugging the box and plugging it back in.

Thank you for your responses. The cable was too leaky.
Are there amps for long cable runs for these systems?

"Leaky"??? What does that mean? Inline anps should only be used if the coax run is 250'+. Even then, the amp may make the signal quality worse. Only use quality RG-6 or better.

How long is the coax run? What type of coax?

If the drop was used previously for Dish Network, DirecTV or cable, are the switches and/or splitters removed?

Signal went up to 90 when I replaced the cable. Probably wasn't well shielded. Using rg6 quad shield. Run is around 150 ft. Inline is a ground block, connecting barrel, & the splitter used to combine the satellite & OTA signals. I'll probably have to move the dish to make the wire run short, but I'm trying to avoid it.
Thanks for replies.

Are you using a splitter or a diplexer to combine the antenna and sat? If a splitter, remove and install a diplexer.

The 150' RG6 quad sheild coax length is not an issue.

Are you certain that the dish is on the correct satellite? Could be a false positive from another satellite.

Did you contact Orby for support? Might even be a defective STB.

I called it a splitter, but it's a diplexer. Everything works, but at 80-84 strength, and interruptions. I tried my old RCA D903 amp. No difference. Any recommendations for another amp?

Catch us up on what is going on with your install... Last you said the satellite channels wouldn't load. Are all satellite channels now coming in? You say "everything works and interruptions". What does this mean? Interruptions?

80-84 Signal Strength is definitely adequate for delivery of perfect reception. An amp is not needed for a short 150' RG11 quad shield coax run. An amp will cause more problems than solve unless it is a VERY LONG coax run. An amplifier will not help your install.

Is the dish skew rotation angle set correctly for your location? Dishpointer.com shows the Skew Angle: +46.3°

Did you contact Orby for support? Might be a defective STB.

Interruptions are when the signal drops to 0 for a moment. This doesn't happen when the receiver is connected with the short cable near the dish, and the signal is 87-90. The receiver is fine. The skew is also correct. Mast is plumb. The problem is in the cable run. Maybe it's the barrel or attic cable.
Your answer is no to amps, so I won't waste the $.
Appreciate your attention to this.

Reactions: Titanium
Couple ideas to check.
Assuming the dish is aligned, my first thing to check is the ground block
or barrell, if either is outside don't take alot of moisture to start corrosion (was cause of 775 swim network not found 90% of the time on service calls when I was at Directv).
Also you mention attic cable, is it accessible? Make sure it is rg 6, if its rg59 that will make a difference as far as voltage drop over a long run.
If that stuff checks out I'd lean toward defective STB or LNBF.

Couple ideas to check.
Assuming the dish is aligned, my first thing to check is the ground block
or barrell, if either is outside don't take alot of moisture to start corrosion (was cause of 775 swim network not found 90% of the time on service calls when I was at Directv).
Also you mention attic cable, is it accessible? Make sure it is rg 6, if its rg59 that will make a difference as far as voltage drop over a long run.
If that stuff checks out I'd lean toward defective STB or LNBF.
Forgot one thing, may seem stupid, but the color of the plastic inside the ground block and barrel, If it is clear they are not always capable if passing the power required for sattelite, should be orange or blue inside. Generally cable and antenna setups do not need to send power back down the coax setup, sattelite does, so what worked for those may not work properly for sattelite.

There are ways to test the cable run itself, the simplest can test DC voltage with a multimeter, ( you should have near 13volts DC between the center conductor and shield, other methods require somewhat specialized tools such as a satellite installation meter, or a coax mapping tool (like $40 at home depot) will test cable continuity but not voltage drop so probably would not help in your situation )
From what u describe your LNBF is not always getting the required voltage.

Generally unless a lot of hidden cable, the problem can be found upon visual inspection of the coax run.

Last edited:
I had mine installed in February.
It worked OK. But it use to go out when ever it would start to rain.

So I went and took the box out with me and a TV.

Well there boxes don't help much. So I hooked up my fta box to there satellite.
The quality never goes over 40%. But I did get it adjusted better.

I used my fta box to find out what lnb I need.

It's a ku 10750. So I can try to hook it into my system. Powered 4x8 switch I ordered one today.

So I can put it on my other 10 foot satellite to see how much of a gain I get.

I know I locked Orby feed with a Eva 18 inch dish. Same strength.. Which makes sense. Since they are only using 18 inches of that satellite. Because of using vertical.

I also have a Hugh's net satellite to check it on.

I'll keep you posted.

What do you mean that the vertical polarity only uses 18"? The total reflector area determines the gain for either horizontal or vertical polarity.

The vertical only uses from bottom to center to top. In a line. 18 inches this is the only part it uses.

Horizontal runs left to center to right. The wide part of the satellite. 36 inches

The satellite is skewed and the lnb only looks vertical. Which is inline with the 18inch part of the satellite. I'm not sure why they used the satellite they did.
Unless in the future they plan to add more satellites. Which is easier vertical. Since the dish is so wide.
They would just upgrade the lnb.

But then again. Everyone is using wide satellites so it may have been a cost issue. Cheaper

But I only know I picked it up with a rca 18inch satellite because I was trying to do my own installation. And I thought my Universal lnb would work. But as I found out.
It will not. You have to get an lnb 10750

My Universal one would not work because the box does not let you choose the lnb. And like a fta receiver. If you change the setting to 10700. The frequencies will be off. So 11840 would be something like 11830. And this box will not show any readings unless it matches.

I have thought about hooking it back up to my system and hooking a fta on the same line. And setting it to 10750. To see if it would work.

I'll keep you posted. If the signal is better and does not go out during storms. I'll put it on my other c band satellite. But I will test it on a bigger round ku satellite. To see how dependable it is. It would be going from 18 inches to over 30. That should be a good gain.

Sorry, your statement is incorrect. Both polarities use the entire surface of the dish to collect signals. Vertical polarity signals reflect off of all of the surface not just the vertical axis. The surface area of the dish produces similar gains for both horizontal and vertical polarities.

The wider horizontal (elliptical shape) axis of a reflector provides a narrower beamwidth shaping to attenuate adjacent satellite interference.

Looping a Universal LNB through a FTA STB will not change the high band (22KHz - ON) oscillator frequency from 10600 to 10750 MHz. The IF of the universal LNB signal will be presented to the Orby tuner 150MHz off frequency. The Orby receiver tuner is preprogrammed to both the LO frequency and the IF. A standard LO 10750 LNB is required.

A 30" dish will provide a slightly better gain, but a 36" will provide significantly higher gain and increased threshold against rain fade.

Reactions: Wescopc
The satellite footprint is good enough in places for an 18” dish, but only on clear days. As soon as any rain even comes close, it’d drop out.

I have everything hooked up now on my current satellite system. I can put Orby in any room now.
I did buy a new lnb. LO 10750 dual lnb
and it's on my 2nd 10 foot c band satellite dish.

I also have it hooked to a powered 4x8 switch.

Orby does work with the system. My c band is on the normal 13/18
My ku is on my 22k 13/18

I have 2 motor controller boxes..
My c band is 1 to 16 and ku is 17 and up.. Hooked on my main box in my family room.

It works good. But I have some trees that need cut.. So my satellite can get a clear view.

And I need to set the ku lnb back more then c band lnb. The focal point is different.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)