SSD on 211

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
OK so my customer couldn't wait 9 days for New Egg to deliver so I went and bought a few from WalMart and found one that worked. Its the WD My Passport 1TB It is self powered and comes in an array of colors. It also has a 3 Year Warranty so ya Ill use the caddys somewhere else but just passing the info along. Now this was for a 211k but plan on testing it on a z and Wally soon
All of my WD My Passport self-powered USB3 drives work. All of my WD My Passport USB2 drives do not, or even crash my receiver. :( Older tech just uses too much power I think.
Thank you both for the recommendation. I just got the WD My Passport 1TB USB3.0 drive from Walmart. It is powered through the USB cable, but it works great. I just tried it with a ViP722k and a Hopper Duo, and now (after re-formatting again) I am using it with a Wally. :) :thumbup

If your doing a 211 as a DVR with an external drive, move to a true DVR or a hopper, you'll never regret it.
I did the add on DVR external drive DVR, fought it and went through a drive or 2.
Ive used one at my Dads for three years now. The point of using these is to get around the lovely 15$ a month fee Dish charges for the DVRs I do think the Hopper is nice but prefer to save the money. The 40$ activation washes after only 3 months BTW thats a one time fee no matter how many HDD's you get for one account. It all comes down to what you want but ya doing this is a frugal way of having a DVR without the fees. The next time though I will opt for the Wallys as they are the same cost of the 211's. Dish just wants you to have internet for it lol.

Reactions: pattykay
The problem with using an external drive with a non-dvr receiver is that the recordings are linked to the receiver rather than your account. Don't plan on being able to play archived content if you end up replacing your receiver. On the other hand, an external drive with a DVR receiver is linked to your account. I still can access programs on my external hard drive that were recorded with my vip-622, my Hopper with sling, and now my hopper3.

I have the Olympic opening ceremonies, rose bowl parades, etc. from the last 10 years. It is well worth the extra monthly cost and it keeps me tethered to dish.

The problem with using an external drive with a non-dvr receiver is that the recordings are linked to the receiver rather than your account. Don't plan on being able to play archived content if you end up replacing your receiver. On the other hand, an external drive with a DVR receiver is linked to your account. I still can access programs on my external hard drive that were recorded with my vip-622, my Hopper with sling, and now my hopper3.

I have the Olympic opening ceremonies, rose bowl parades, etc. from the last 10 years. It is well worth the extra monthly cost and it keeps me tethered to dish.
I don't know what problem you had, but I had no problem moving an external drive from one Wally to another Wally on the same account.

Reactions: Foxbat
Speaking for myself, I have no need to "archive" ten years worth of anything. I record things to watch later. Once watched, they are deleted. I can't imagine watching an Olympic Opening Ceremony once, much less saving multiple years worth. To each his own.

I have moved EHDs between my two ViP 211 receivers with no issues. The old one died, I bought a new replacement and once it was on the account, plugged in the EHD. There were all my recordings. Even after I fixed the old 211, I could plug in a clone of my EHD and view content.

I stand corrected. I guess you can move an external hard drive within 211 or Wally receivers. Does anyone know whether you can move an external hard drive from a 211 to a Wally receiver. You just can't move an external drive from a non-DVR receiver to a DVR receiver (Hopper family).

I like to archive what I consider historic content. I am sure that I am in the minority.

I stand corrected. I guess you can move an external hard drive within 211 or Wally receivers. Does anyone know whether you can move an external hard drive from a 211 to a Wally receiver. You just can't move an external drive from a non-DVR receiver to a DVR receiver (Hopper family).

I like to archive what I consider historic content. I am sure that I am in the minority.
I have only moved a hard drive from a ViP211k to a Wally once, when I activated a Wally to replace the ViP211k. The Wally prompted me to reformat the hard drive. I had already watched and deleted all of the recordings on the hard drive, so I let the Wally reformat it. Therefore, I have no way of knowing whether the recordings from the ViP211k would have worked on the Wally. I do know that moving a hard drive from one ViP211 to another one, or from one Wally to another Wally, works fine without reformatting.

I have only moved a hard drive from a ViP211k to a Wally once, when I activated a Wally to replace the ViP211k. The Wally prompted me to reformat the hard drive. I had already watched and deleted all of the recordings on the hard drive, so I let the Wally reformat it. Therefore, I have no way of knowing whether the recordings from the ViP211k would have worked on the Wally. I do know that moving a hard drive from one ViP211 to another one, or from one Wally to another Wally, works fine without reformatting.
I suppose there could be firmware issues with going from a 211 to a Wally. The CUI, which the Wally has, is a completely new piece of firmware from the ground up. There may not be a way for the 2 different firmwares to understand each other.

My 211z EHD was NOT compatible with my new Wally. But the new software on the Wally will work with less than 3 satellites. Anyone want to buy a 211z??

Yep, my EHD started on a 722 then went to a Hopper 2000 then to the Hopper 3. No issues whatsoever. However, some have reported them. You do have to give the Hoppers a fews days to settle in before attaching the EHD or issues will be seen.

Reactions: littlecloud319

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts