Stange Problem with 722 and OTA local

wkomorow

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Jun 7, 2004
Berkshire, MA
I am having the strangest problem - not the biggest deal - but it has happened 4 -5 time in the last few days. I will be watching an OTA station on my 722. I will tune to (let's say) 106 and local OTA 17 will appear on the screen. The banner when I press info will be for 106 and when I press channel up, it will go to 107. Has anyone else notice this? It really is not a big deal, but I am concerned that my timers will misfire and get the wrong channel.

Same Problem

I have the same problem. Could you by any chance be using a dpp44 also? I have changed out every piece of hardware thinking this problem is on my end but I really think its a Dish issue. I've been seeing this problem for about a year now. What usually triggers this is that I will start at say channel 140. Then I will keep pressing the down channel button till I get to an OTA channel. Then from that OTA channel I will type in a channel number say 139. The receiver banner will say its tunned to channel 139 but its not. Its really tuned to the last Satellite channel I left when pressing the down channel button to get to the OTA channel. Very annoying bug but I could never find anybody else on this forum that had the same problem so I figured it was something on my end. This problem occurs on my VIP622 and both my VIP211 receivers.

I do have a DPP44. My problem is a bit different but probably related. I press 106 and get an OTA station with the 106 banner. It could be just previously that I am on a local from Dish, and I press the down key to get to an OTA local. I will need to pay more attention.

Also, several of my OTAs are marginal and they will drop out. When I have no OTA signal, I will press the up button for a dish local and I will get an error message that my satellite signal has been lost and acquisition is in process, even though there is nothing wrong with the satellite signal - the antenna signal is missing.

It sounds to me that the receiver is having a problem switching between the OTA and the satellite tuners - it some how gets confused.

It is helpful to know that others are having issues also.

i am having problems with locals being on the wrong channels. i set a timer to record the cowboys game last night on my local cbs channel which is 006-01. it went to that channel to record but it was recording a show on fox which is channel 018-01. i had to stop the recording and flip the channels a few times and it finally gave me my cbs back and i hit record to get the game. this is the first time i have had the problem recording, but not the first time i have had one channel mirror over to another.

It sounds to me that the receiver is having a problem switching between the OTA and the satellite tuners - it some how gets confused.

Exactly. Its a problem when jumping from the OTA tuner to the SAT tuner and vice versa. It will switch to the right tuner when you type in a channel number on a different tuner but it won't change to the right channel you typed in sometimes. Therefore, you see the last channel that was tuned to on that tuner. The banner displays what would be the correct information if the picture and video would of changed like it was suppose to.

This problem bugs the hell out of me so I've replaced all my LNB's, the dpp44 and even the wiring to see if any of those were the problem. That's why Iam saying its gotta be something Dish is doing wrong. Iam guessing this only affects those of us that have a DPP44 and prefer to watch our local channels on an OTA antenna. I think this because there should be many more people reporting this issue if it affected people without dpp44's.

I've complained to dishquality@echostar.com about this issue with no response. You might try emailing them also to see if you can get anywhere. I'd love to see this problem finally fixed.

jlhugh and cj43 - I think this is a software issue. Do either of you have issues with OTA locals dropping out - my locals are not very stable and I get an acquire antenna screen a lot. I am wondering if that is precipitating the issue and that is why so few people have seen it?

I will write technical service about the issue - but it is nice to know that I am not alone.

Do either of you have issues with OTA locals dropping out - my locals are not very stable and I get an acquire antenna screen a lot.

Iam about 5 miles from the antenna farm and don't have much of an issue with any dropping of OTA channels. I have however seen times where the OTA tuner will go completely dead. None of the OTA channels will come in and the only way to fix it is to reset the receiver.

What usually triggers this is that I will start at say channel 140. Then I will keep pressing the down channel button till I get to an OTA channel. Then from that OTA channel I will type in a channel number say 139. The receiver banner will say its tunned to channel 139 but its not. Its really tuned to the last Satellite channel I left when pressing the down channel button to get to the OTA channel.

BINGO!!

I have never seen this problem, until I tried the steps you just described above using the up/down function.

I ALWAYS tune either from the guide screen or by direct entry (i.e 00701 to tune to 7-1 OTA). I never use the up/down function. (Just a habit) I have never seen the problems you and others are describing.

So it must be in the software, and how it handles tuning using the up/down. Now at least I know not to do it!

BINGO!!

I have never seen this problem, until I tried the steps you just described above using the up/down function.

Do you have a DPP44 also? If not, what switch or dish are you using? Iam trying to figure out if this only affects people with a certain configuration.

Last edited:
It is probably just a software bug. Some of us use the channel up and down button moving between sat and ota when changing channels, while most probably type in the channel number or use the guide. They don't see the problem but we do. At least I am confident now that it will not screw up my recordings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)