Star Trek TOS in HD?

If it was shot on film then it would have an OAR of 16X9 with it in mind that the center area for 4x3 was the important part. If it was shot on the VTR's of the time it would be 4x3. Hopefully it was on film and that the stock has held up well in cold storage vault.

Shooting on film does not mean its in 16:9, although its much more likely than if it was on VTR.

Here in Vegas, we have 2 channels showing the re-masters and still no HD versions while they both broadcast their crap at night in full HD.

Does not seem to make sense.

The last I heard Viacom and Paramount had made the decision not to distribute an HD feed this season because so many stations can not redistribute a syndicated HD feed yet. Just stuff passed thru from the networks.

Not to take this too far off topic, but I have watched those episodes, and I am appalled at the lousy edits to fit the show for the 59 minute clock for broadcasters. My issue isn't so much with the necessity to trim the running time of the show, but with the lousy artistic decisions on what lines and scenes to cut. I know the DVD's are available with all episodes uncut, but at a high cost. Would you cut out the scene where the bum picks-up McCoy's phaser, accidentally puts it in overload, and disintegrates himself, from the episode City on the Edge of Foever"? Well that just one example of a scene cut by NBC. And why did they cut out Kirk saying to Spock, "Annoyed, Spock?" when reacting to the Guardian's insult of Spock's science knowledge? That was a funny line! That resulted in a very awkward cut of Kirk inexplicably turning his head to where it was already turned. And the new effects of the ship are not always superior to the original. In fact, sometime the new Enterprise effect looks more fake or low quality animation than some of the original Enterprise effects. Not all that great of a remaster, sorry to say. Gotta go.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)