Star Wars Series on HBO, in HD?

yardline

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 21, 2005
On the HBO website I see that over the next two months, all six Star Wars movies will be shown. Ep's 1-3 are listed as HD, but 4-6 are not. Seems odd since we know they have the HD versions. Can anyone confirm if they will all be shown in HD?

I hope the external storage solution is available soon. I already have Ep1 & III saved. The other 4 are really gonna be putting a hurt on my storage space.

Has anyone seen EpI on HBO? I must say I wasn't ver impressed. It looks like possibly an upconvert or something.

I hope the external storage solution is available soon. I already have Ep1 & III saved. The other 4 are really gonna be putting a hurt on my storage space.

Has anyone seen EpI on HBO? I must say I wasn't ver impressed. It looks like possibly an upconvert or something.

EP 1 was not filmed in HD; Ep 2 and 3 were filmed entirely digitally. And when I watched Ep 3 last week on HBO HD, it looked very good.

I second your hope for the USB HDD support soon!

But wasn't EP 1 filmed on film... That is easily converted to HD if done correctly. See all old movies that are now shown in HD. I can't imagine that they wouldn't show it in real HD. I haven't watched yet, but if true that pisses me off.

But wasn't EP 1 filmed on film... That is easily converted to HD if done correctly. See all old movies that are now shown in HD. I can't imagine that they wouldn't show it in real HD. I haven't watched yet, but if true that pisses me off.

Of course you are right. Heck, I am watching MacArthur, filmed in 1973 in HD right now, and the HD is pretty decent. Not great, but decent. SW:Ep I should look excellent in comparison.... And I don't think it looked bad when my son and I watched it fairly recently.

I realize EpI was shot on film, but at least to my eyes it did not look as good as many films shown in HD. I think it may just be a bad transfer, there seems to be some dirt and more than a few scratches I've noticed. Some scenes just look "old" like it was shot 20 years ago.

Maybe it's because I'm comparing it to EPIII which I think looks great. I'd guess EPI is ajust a bad transfer, though I wouldn't be surprised to find it was an upconvert.

Some of the scnenes that look especially bad are the jedi counsel meetings. The views out teh windows are little more than a blur with moving objects. It's like film grain magnified 10x.

Surely someone has or will be recording it. It's on again Thursday I think. I'd like to know what others think.

EP 1 was not filmed in HD...

We need a new 'smiley'

:beatingheadagainstabrickwall:

There are two ways to look at this statement.

1)Anything that is shot on film can be converted to HD.

2)Anything shot in HD is not "filmed".

Either way...HUH?

And if you want to get really technical, Ep 2 & 3 weren't shot in "HD" either...they were shot in 2K.

The F950 is 1920x1080. Here's the user manual: http://bssc.sel.sony.com/BroadcastandBusiness/minisites/cinealta/docs/hdcf950_opmanual.pdf
So yes, EP II and III are shot in a standard HD format. :p

I recorded ANH and TESB today and they both look terrific from what I've seen. I haven't watched them all the way through. It's a shame I have to wait a month for Jedi though. But on March 10 I plan on living the ultimate geek dream and watching all 6 films in HD! :hungry:

Ep I still looks bad overall. I wish I would have tried recording it again. Maybe I should dust off the DVD and see if it looks the same/better/different.

Does anyone know if Episode I is going to be re-run in HD anytime soon? I missed getting it a few weeks ago.

Also, is the 10th of March indeed the date that Return of the Jedi in HD premieres? I looked on the schedule search on the HBO website and couldn't seem to get confirmation there? Never mind...I just found it, March 6th at 10am on HBO HD.

Still, no sign of Phantom Menace in HD in the next couple of weeks. Anyone know if it airs again later in March?

Last edited:
ISome scenes just look "old" like it was shot 20 years ago.

LOL! It was shot 30 years ago actually. :D

You have to remember that the original film was comparably an EXTREMELY low budget film. The effects and other niceties were added ON TOP of the comparably low budget film. The film IN THE THEATERS FIRST RUN did not look that great, which was the norm for this genre. So there is going to be more film grain and "blurrier" effects on the original film because it was blurrier to begin with.

Anyway, when I saw Star Wars in HD I was floored by the quality. It looked better than I remember seeing in the theaters.

See ya
Tony

Yep, the PQ is better now. I saw it in first run and I have the laserdisc, which is true to the original. The special effects added in the last few years are much more advanced. But I still miss some of the original scenes cut from the first three movies.

Today's PQ was very good. I saw 7 or 8 macroblocked scenes, moving shots in dimmer scenes - generally with some red colors in them. But except for those brief problems, it was quite good.

Tom,

Of course you know NO ONE has the "REAL" original version of Star Wars. The original theatrical release did not have "Episode 4: A New Hope". That was added shortly after the initial release only AFTER SW became a mega-hit. Lucas wanted it in all along (like many of the effects added more recently) but was not allowed by the studio brass.

Anyway, I have the original LD as well as a video from a 1981 HBO showing. :)

See ya
Tony

It's best to watch in this sequence for timeline

I. The Phantom Menace
II. Attack of the Clones
III. Revenge of the Sith
IV. A New Hope
V. The Empire Strikes
VI. Return of the Jedi

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)