StarChoice antenna

Beethovin

Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
On the road!
I spend a lot of time out of Canada and while in Canada I travel as well.
Over the years I have had StarChoice, DirecTV, ExpressVu and currently am back to StarChoice. Simply my Frau insists on Canadian programming while on the road. As others have reported here, loss of Odd # transponders is normal for ExpressVu in parts of the US. There is a cure, a large dish but by the time I found this solution I was already a StarChoice customer again. StarChoice supply an elliptical dish for snowbirds like me for signal reception in the southern US. Unfortunately, the dish is not adaptable to RV roof mount use.
Installed on a tripod, the StarChoice elliptical dish is difficult to adjust and has resulted in numerous complaints from unhappy users. StarChoice say they will supply a larger dish but refuse to ship it to the US. Stalemate! All of this brings me to the question, do I need the elliptical dish for StarChoice? I use only the Analog TV signal and occasionally some of the music channels. Can I use a semi-elliptical dish with the proper KU LNB and if so who do I go to, to buy this?
Ultimately I would like to mount it on the roof of my RV. I already have a roof mount semiautomatic round dish on the roof but it is for C band and the maker (Winegard) has problems with wind gusts making the dish rotate slightly around the gust lock. In south Texas this results in frequent signal loss and of course the odd # transponder loss wipes out the reason for having a portable dish. There is an automatic roof mount antenna for StarChoice but I am trying to avoid the cost of this solution. RV roof mount satellite antennas also pose a problem for RVers as we have to move location when line of sight cant be found. Tried asking this question in other forums but so far no answers. Anyone have some workable solutions?

My understanding is that you can use a smaller dish if you only plan to use the signal form one bird. With a single bird dish you have a choice of non-HD english content or HD english / French content. You'll still need a larger dish if you're in the southern US.

I think Starchoice sells an RV Dish called Explorer. I don't know how big it is though (In South Texas you should have a 75cm).