StarChoice Equipment Cost - Own or Lease?

CochiseGuy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
Cochise County, Arizona
I'm considering going with StarChoice for satellite TV service. On their website I'm looking at the DSR505 HD receiver. it says "Satellite System Price" CD$229, minus pay-per-view & programming credits. What's not clear to me is that the "Purchase Price" and the equipment belongs to you? Or is that just an "upfront" cost and if you cancel you have to send the equipment back to them?

From what I can tell, it sure sounds like you own it. If so, what is the warranty? I can see the dish comes with a 2 year warranty, but it says the receiver is covered by a separate warranty which I couldn't find. And if this is a purchase, where are they getting all those DSR505-a's from, the "previously activated receiver and re-engineered to ChoiceStar's specifications"?

I live in Arizona & will be using my brother's Vancouver address for account activation. But, it's a long way to send back equipment for service or if I cancel, so just want to be sure.

Thanks!

you own the equipment and the 2 year warranty is only if you live in Canada :)

I've had my 315 for 18 months now with no issues :D

Yep it says in the "residential agreement" (link is at the bottom of the page) that if you do not send back the reciever then you will have to pay a $200 fee.

https://secure.starchoice.com/terms.asp
This is the terms (its on the main page bottom right hand corner).

In section 4 (other charges) section h
"if you deactivate services prior to 12 months from the activation date and do not return your reciver(s) and remote control(s) to Starchoice in good working condition, you will be charged a reciever non-return fee of $200 plus applicable taxes".

I wasn't sure if it was a rental/purchase item either but this pretty much states that you dont own it until you have paid 12 months worth of programming for it.

c-ya
Chris

I am waiting now for UPS to bring mine that I bought from kusat.com per the link Iceberg sent me. I will own mine, I will be going thru a broker to get my programming. But still haven't seen anything about having to return my purchased receiver???

"When you activate a new Star Choice account (12 month service engagement required), you will receive a $50 programming and a $50 PPV credit - no strings attached! Still need convincing why Star Choice is the best way to get regular and HDTV programming in Canada?"

Thats on the kusat.com Star Choice's main page (intro page). Scroll down to the June 6th Promo. Makes it sound like IF you setup a new star choice account then you have a 12 mo. commitment.

I am not sure wither or not they persue it but the disclaimer is on the site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)