Starchoice in Mexico

That is correct, I'm using lineal lnb's, not my old lnb's which are circular.

I just went up to the roof again to check the readings the antenna pointing to DN 110w satellite. I placed the protractor right on the middle of the dish and it gave me 55 degrees. I will then lower the other antenna's elevation to catch a steeper angle. I'll let you know what happens...

Bi the way, I used to have a viewsat ultra plugged into my system for FTA, but I don't know if it can used it to locate both Anik F1 and Anik F2. If so, I'd appreciate any help on this matter because as it's a faster receiver maybe it's more sensitive to sat signals than the motorola 505HD.

By the way, just in case I find myself unable to get my ShawDirect system to work, does anyone have info about a good, decently priced installer in Mexico City that could help me with this? Thanks a bunch!

I would use the 505 to lock on the signal, rather than using the Viewsat box.
Regarding installers another member of this forum mentioned before in this thread, that installers here are new to SD, in my experience and after contacting some of them and confirming that they do not have experience on this, I decided to do the job myself.
If you still have problems send me a PM, and we can go over the procedure. I am sure that if you have a clear line of sight you will be fine.

DJDish

I just bought a satfinder (perfect vision model PVSF22K) and got on the roof today to try finding Anik F1. According to what I can see on my brother's iPhone (he downloaded the dishpointer app) I do have a clear line of sight.

I lined up the antenna to 198 degrees azimuth and 65.5 for elevation. The satfinder's signal goes up immediately and varies as I move the dish, but no matter what I do the little satellite icon on the receiver doesn't turn green (so I guess it hasn't locked into Anik F1).

What else do you sugggest I do? Should I hard reset my box, it hasn't been activated yet.

To what channel is you receiver tuned? It should be tuned to 299 as you first search for the signal. You should get a signal on this channel even though your receiver is not yet activated. Note that you will not get a picture or sound on this channel at this point. You will get a screen that says "searching for signal".

With the channel set to 299, hit "Options 6-4-3-1" on the remote to bring up the signal meter. What signal level does the meter currently show? If it's zero, you are not getting any current from the receiver to the LNB, so you need to check all connections. If the signal level is in the 20's it means you are getting current to the LNB, but you have not yet found the satellite. Once the signal level begins to rise into the 50's as you turn the dish, the red light should turn to green.

I'm not familiar with your "satfinder", but if it shows you are getting a signal and you are certain that you have correctly set the azimuth, the only reason I can think of that you are not getting a signal at your receiver is (1) a bad connection between the receiver & dish, or (2) your receiver is set to receive a channel other than 299.

When you turn the dish searching for the signal, go slowly and give the meter several seconds to react to each movement before initiating the next movement.

Once you find the Anik F1R signal and get it maximized, you will then need to call for activation of your receiver before making any attempt to find Anik F2 with your second dish.

Last edited:
Thanks to all for your kind help, I was finally able to lock on to the Anik F1 signal.

Both the satfinder and dishpointer app for the iphone worked great for pinpointing the exact sat's location. However, I didn't notice that I had plugged one short piece of RG59 cable from the satfinder to the receiver. So, as soon as I noticed this little detail, I switched it for RG6 and was finally able to get a a signal (32), which after a bit of tunning went up to 88. Skewing the LNB counterclockwise about 20-25 degrees raised the signal from 32 to 88 in a snap.

So, I will activate my account first thing tomorrow morning and will then continue to find Anik F2 to finish up my setup. I'll let you know how that goes...

Good, now once your box is activated you may tune to channel 712 which is on Anik F2, and use the signal meter on such channel to lock on the signal.

DJDish

Alex,

I was going to try and bring in F1R anmd F2 this weekend and then cancel my Dish subscription (crippled but somewhat functional after E14 and 61.5 moves) AFTER I am satisfied with Shaw. I am mostly interested in HD networks which I had before through AAD out of Chicago but signal issues even with 2.4 m antenna on 110. I am trying Shaw just for the HD Networks and was not too concerned with all of the Canadian specific programming (I am from Texas). Are you saying that you are that dissatissfied with the packages that you are ready to jump ship so quickly? Please be specific before I dump more money into this "project".

Slingbox is my next option for HD Networks but my slow internet speeds (less than 2 Mb) worry me for HD. Sky HD is next, haha.

In my case with DN I lost the trasponder carrying my local NY channels, now with Shaw I receive perfectly the HD US network feeds from East (Rochester) and West (Seattle).
With Shaw I still have my US superstations like TV 38 Boston, it does feel a bit weird not having US channels like my dear SyFy, but considering the loss of signal I suffered with DN, I am doing fine.

DJ Dish

How did you swing getting both the east and west network feeds? I read on their site that you get one OR the other. They had the "OR" capitalized. I am signing up in the morning. Inam also excited tomget HD NFL Sunday Ticket. Their site didn't have any pricing or a confirmation if all games will be HD or not the last time I looked.

I suscribed only to the East US network feeds, and as per their website you know you are supposed to get every HD version of your SD suscribed channels. Well I discovered that in the HDs I had the East feeds AND THEN also the West feeds, so that is saving me from suscribing to the West feeds....
And regarding the lack of US channels I may add, that the programming tends to be the same, some Canadian channels will transmit exactly the same show at the same time airing on CBS, ABC, etc, and then some US channels will have their Canadian version (i.e. instead of Syfy the Canadian space channel, etc)

Alex,

I was going to try and bring in F1R anmd F2 this weekend and then cancel my Dish subscription (crippled but somewhat functional after E14 and 61.5 moves) AFTER I am satisfied with Shaw. I am mostly interested in HD networks which I had before through AAD out of Chicago but signal issues even with 2.4 m antenna on 110. I am trying Shaw just for the HD Networks and was not too concerned with all of the Canadian specific programming (I am from Texas). Are you saying that you are that dissatissfied with the packages that you are ready to jump ship so quickly? Please be specific before I dump more money into this "project".

Slingbox is my next option for HD Networks but my slow internet speeds (less than 2 Mb) worry me for HD. Sky HD is next, haha.

Of course i am dissatisfied my friend, i dind´t like the channels nor the equipment very old display and slooooooooow, it also had problems with my LED TV and video blinked each 3 minutes from blackscreen to video and on and on.

I think shaw is for people who can't get a big dish, not for people looking for a good quality HD service.

Shaw is expensive, they don't include basic channels like DTv or Dish and their blundles sucks.

I had The ultimate package and it was a waste of time, money and knowledge, i strongly suggest you don't waste it.

If you get a contract with Directv they give you up to 6 receivers, (one hd DVR, one HD and three SD) 5 free months ans NFL Ticket, and in mexico city you can use a single 2.40 meters dish to get sats 101, 99 and 103.

Cheers

Alex, let me know if you get DTV up and going. I'm in Villahermosa and do not have a footprint here for those sats. I used to have DTV years ago but had been with Dish for the last 7 years after DTV sent up new sats. I have Shaw now and will for at least through football season. Its not that great but Hope it gets better. I don't have much option here.

Some members of the forum located in Mexico City, currently have Dtv running for more recent details you may refer to the thread Finally HD channels in Mexico City

Hello everyone, my SW setup has been working great. However, a couple of weeks ago I noticed that the signal for a bunch of channels drops out during the day. From 6pm to 10am all seems to work fine though. Could this have anything to do with solar flares at this time of the year?