Starchoice in Mexico

Barra de Navidad

Original poster
Feb 10, 2009
Mexico
What is considered a "good" signal strength in Mexico? I am about 60 K's up the coast from Manzanillo and am getting only 35 on the large eliptical dish. I was told by starchoice, they no longer make a large round one. Any suggestions?

Separate antennas, each with a conventional 10750 MHz Ku-band LNBF.
If you are trying for both 107.3 and 111.1, many possibilities exist by retrofitting an existing 4 to 6 foot offset antenna that may have previously been used for reception of DTV and DISH. There are Mexican suppliers of antennas, too.
I've heard of some Fiberglass models made by Antenas Jalisco, near Guadalajara, which might save a bunch of money on shipping.

Technical information on Star Choice signals in Mexico...go to the Canadian section of the Global website at www.global-cm.net/CAN/canadiansolution.html

Last edited:
What is considered a "good" signal strength in Mexico? I am about 60 K's up the coast from Manzanillo and am getting only 35 on the large eliptical dish. I was told by starchoice, they no longer make a large round one. Any suggestions?

Hi, I'm in Mexico city and I'm using two separate antennas, one from Sky Mexico, that you can find very cheap here, that one is 90cms, and I get from 80 to 90 signal on Anik F1R.
And I use a 1.8mts antenna to get Anik F2, I get 90 signal on that one.

I used to have a 90cm for anik f2, and even thought I did get above 70 signal, the HD channels were not stable at all, I could watched them during the day.

You would need two separate LNB's to improve the signal, since the skew of the LNB is very important for *C.

If you want a link to antenas de Jalisco just let me know, and I'll PM'd to you, I don't know if I can post it here.

I bet you can use a single 1.2mt's antenna with two separate LNB's and get a great signal on *C.

Pablo,

I am considering using SC in Mexico City. Is the 1.80mts dish really necessary for the HD channels, or will a 1.20 dish be sufficient?

Thanks.

Pablo,

I am considering using SC in Mexico City. Is the 1.80mts dish really necessary for the HD channels, or will a 1.20 dish be sufficient?

Thanks.

Well, it might work with a 1.2mts, but your pointing will probably have to be very accurate. I had a 90cms antenna and some HD channels were only viewable during the night. So I played it safe, and bought the 1.8mts antenna.

Saludos.

Live in Mexico City interested in Choice service but do not have Canadian address.Do you know how I can pay for the service and get the equipment?

NEED THE INFO

Please could you please send me the info, i want *c in mexico city but dont have a canadian addres

Gracias por la ayuda de verdad
Thanks a lot

I am moving to Mexixo City and want to take Star Choice satellite with me. Can anyone tell me everything that I need? What type of dish am I best to get?

If you want both satellites, you'll need a 1.8mts Dish, with that you can get the two satellites with good enough quality and strong signal here.

If you only want Anik F1R you can get it with even a 90cm dish.

Getting a 1.8mts dish is expensive, about $350 or $400 CAD. And you'll require a roof to install it, so if you're moving to a condo or aparment, I don't think you'll have enough space.

What is the downfall of only getting one satellite? Is it less channels or less reception? We will be in an apartment so the big dish is out. If I go into the local electronics store and get the standard package would that work in Mexico City?

You will get less channels.

Essentially, the English language SD channels are on Anik F1R; the English and French HD channels and the French SD channels are on Anik F2.

The quality of signal is not affected by the fact that you point at only one satellite. My dish is pointed at Anik F2 because I am interested only in the French SD; the signal in Arizona is excellent and the picture is better than the local cable.

I'm using an 85cm generic dish and generic lnb.

Last edited:
What is the downfall of only getting one satellite? Is it less channels or less reception? We will be in an apartment so the big dish is out. If I go into the local electronics store and get the standard package would that work in Mexico City?

You will get less channels, like the poster above said, and you will need a bigger dish than the regular 75Cm *C dish, you can buy a pretty cheap 90 Cm Sky dish here in Mexico. But you will need the LNB.

It only makes sense if you will not use HD and don't speak or don't want the French channels.

If you decide to do it, once you're here just send me a PM and I'll give you the phone to a *C installer here in Mexico city, maybe you can even install the 1.8mts dish, I've seen plenty on Condos and apartments.

Pablovi, Hi and Thanks for this link, I hope the *C, read my PM so I can change my Dave to Choice.

Saludos

Acapulco Signal Strength

I live in Acapulco and bought a condo at the AcaCondos building (www acacondos com) and they have Star Choice set-up in all their condos. They just use the large elliptical Star Choice dish on the roof and the signal strength for both satellites is in the mid 70s.

Acapulco is more south than Mexico City so I would assume the signal strength would be better there.

That's incredible! It might be the shape of the dish. But here in Mexico city even with a 90cm round dish you lose reception of some HD channels during the day. That's why I have a 6ft (1.8mts) dish. And even with that size the New AMC HD channel, I only get 74 signal strenght and 3.5 dB with 3 being the mínimum to get a signal. So that channel with heavy clouds or light rain loses signal! I fon't know how they get HD channels with a 75cm dish???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)