Starting classes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
After moving to Virginia Beach and having no choice but to take a %50 pay cut with my company to do the transfer I applied to Advanced Technology Institute and been accepted into the structural and maritime welding program starting the 24th. The course will last a year at the end of which I will hold my certifications and hopefully get in with one of the local defense contractors working on ship building or repair / retro fitting. The schedule is 5 hours a day 5 days a week and after completion my status based on the amount of hours spent practice welding and class room is equal to a 3rd year journeyman with BAE systems and Northrup Grumman.

Good Luck Van. I hope you do well.

I have no choice but to do well, satellite installations is out since dish is the only hourly based gig around and sub contracting on a per job basis isn't worth the tax hassle. I can't transfer out of the retail environment to the only warehouse within a reasonable driving distance to where I live within the company because the import center has been on a hiring freeze for a year and half and the other jobs that I'm trained to do and have experience in have either dried up or are paying less than what they should.

I picked this because it is something that I find really interesting both with the bonding of metals and the work involved which is something that has meaning and value and matter's plus its something that as I learned from the school and from a member on the site here can take you over sea's and I have a place or three in mind that I wouldn't mind being stuck in for a year or 4 with my family.

Since math is a part of this it will be the area I have to focus allot of my time and resources on because I have never done well with math past the basics except for hexadecimal math ( go figure ) so to that end I have picked up some study guides and am currently relearning basic algebra because I have never had to use it in any job that I have ever had till now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts