State of 4k programming

dj7675

Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Oregon
Hello all,

I am trying to figure out the state of 4k programming with dish. I was looking at upgrading my original hopper to the Hopper 3 if I can get some 4k programming. I chatted with dish and got no help. Some questions:

-Are there any 4K channels broadcast in 4k
-If I remember correctly, last year directv has the maskers in 4k. Does dish do that?
-Is there any PPV in 4k
-Is there any VOD in 4k? (I have slow internet (3M)

Thanks!

Right now Dish is limited to PPV/VOD for 4K, and honestly, there isn't a whole lot of that. No linear 4K channels at present, and so far, the only LIVE 4K that Dish has provided was a 4K Olympic channel back during the Summer Olympics.

I wish Dish could swing a deal to provide the FOX 4K programming that DirecTV recently announced, but who knows.

Right now Dish is limited to PPV/VOD for 4K, and honestly, there isnt a whole lot of that. No linear 4K channels at present, and so far, the only LIVE 4K that Dish has provided was a 4K Olympic channel back during the Summer Olympics.

I wish Dish could swing a deal to provide the FOX 4K programming that DirecTV recently announced, but who knows.
good point fox will be switching all their sports programming to 4k this year.i wonder if other networks will do the same thing also

good point fox will be switching all their sports programming to 4k this year.i wonder if other networks will do the same thing also
Before you get too excited, remember that local affiliates must convert to ATSC 3.0 transmission. I don't know if any kind of deadline has been established.

Before you get too excited, remember that local affiliates must convert to ATSC 3.0 transmission. I don't know if any kind of deadline has been established.
true all the stations need to convert to atsc 3.0 alot of the station companies will be going full boar with the conversion to atsc 3.0 right now it is volutary for the stations to convert over

dish could finish working on adding the rest of the HD channels and then start on the 4k channels already

alot of the station companies will be going full boar with the conversion

mH9cOsw.jpg

Was hoping for better news. So does all 4K PPV/VOD require you to download 4K via internet? Am I correct, that the Hopper won't download a 4K movie on a 3M connection? Or would it just take a long time? So Dish hasn't yet done the masters in 4K yet either like Directv? I had a funny interaction with dish customer service via chat... I asked what 4K programming was availalbe, and was told none. :) None isn't quite accurate, but certainly not very much yet. Also surprising that Superbowl isn't being broadcast in 4k with The Masters and the Olympics already having done it.

For that matter aren't they still in the process of finalizing the ATSC 3.0 standard?
That is correct. Currently, there is not a ATSC 3.0 standard. The proposed ATSC 3.0 standard is in very limited testing right now. There are also no ATSC 3.0 tuners except for those used in the testing. ATSC 3.0 is years away from implementation. Here is a thread about ATSC 3.0.

Reactions: navychop
I just read an article about the extremely high number of 4K sets already sold and the amount planned on this year. Demand for 4K programming is the only thing that will prompt the powers that control programming to spend the money (a whole lot of money by the way) on 4K equipment and cameras. 4K DVD's are just the tip of the iceberg. I hope 4K broadcasting becomes the norm but we all know that if the right people don't see right profit, well, ya know.

Remember, new TV buyers often just go by price and size. People were buying HDTVs for many, many years and connecting them with coaxial cable to their SD cable or satellite box but were perfectly tickled pink with their "high definition".

Just because their TV is capable of "x" doesn't mean they'll provide it with "x".

Remember, new TV buyers often just go by price and size. People were buying HDTVs for many, many years and connecting them with coaxial cable to their SD cable or satellite box but were perfectly tickled pink with their "high definition".

Just because their TV is capable of "x" doesn't mean they'll provide it with "x".

Sad, but very true.

To circle all the way back to my original post above. I'm not under any delusions of the local FOX affiliates providing 4K via OTA anytime soon...I just wish that Dish could set up a 4K special events channel (or two) to provide whatever they make available the way DirecTV does.

Seems like that ought to be doable, but even though Dish seems to have the better 4K-capable hardware solution vs. DirecTV, it doesn't seem like Dish is all in on providing 4K programming to take advantage of the hardware.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)