Station Not Available (. . . but it is!)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

sansabar

Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
Valdosta, GA
While setting up my local HD channels through my DirecTV H10 I am getting the "Station Not Available" message for one of the local broadcasts (WTLH-DT 50.1). I can receive all of the other local HD brodcasts - all appear to be in the 1000kW, including the one in question (the receiver even brought some in on the setup that I cannot receive via the OTA anenna).
My question is this: Is this a common probem? And if so, is there a way to remedy it? Other stations on the fringe get the "searching" message but with this one channel it seems to be "off limits". I was wondering if it could be the zip code via the H10 limiting my choices (however, it found the non-HD broadcast station of the same channel with ease).
Some insight would be greatly appreciated.

multipath, transmission problems, antenna pointing problems, is the station VHF and you're only using a UHF antenna?

sansabar said:
While setting up my local HD channels through my DirecTV H10 I am getting the "Station Not Available" message for one of the local broadcasts (WTLH-DT 50.1). I can receive all of the other local HD brodcasts - all appear to be in the 1000kW, including the one in question (the receiver even brought some in on the setup that I cannot receive via the OTA anenna).

Hey Sansabar, I live near Albany, and happen to be within the "Grade B" coverage area of WTLH's analog signal. Currently, WTLH-DT is operating at VERY LOW power. According to the local Tallahassee thread over on AVSForum.com, WTLH will not be upping their power until July 2006 (when full-power rules for the Tallahassee market go into effect). You can read about it here:

Tallahassee, FL - HDTV

~Alan

I am using a Channel Master 3020 with a Titan2 7777 Amplifier. No diplexer - two separate lines running to the D10. I receive all of the other local channels, they broadcast from approximately 30 miles away in the same line of sight. I get Fox49 clear as can be, but don't seem to get the option of Fox49-HD (broadcast on 50.1) The wattage of this broadcast station is the same as the other local HDs, no further away and in the same line (270 degrees) from my location.

Alan

Thanks for the response. I guess that I found some posted misinformation. It stated that WTLH-HD, along with WTWC-DT (NBC), WCTV-DT (CBS) and WTXL-DT (ABC), all brodcast at 1000kW. I figured if I was getting one I should be getting them all. Obviously some powers are way up or Fox's is much lower than stated.
Thanks for straightening me out!

Scott

sansabar said:
Thanks for the response. I guess that I found some posted misinformation. It stated that WTLH-HD, along with WTWC-DT (NBC), WCTV-DT (CBS) and WTXL-DT (ABC), all brodcast at 1000kW. I figured if I was getting one I should be getting them all. Obviously some powers are way up or Fox's is much lower than stated.
Thanks for straightening me out!

While I can't get a reliable signal from them (during the day), most nights (during primetime), I can pick up WCTV-DT quite well, and I have picked up both WTXL-DT, WTWC-DT and WVAG-DT on occasion (though not since WTXL-DT recently went HD) as well as WFSU-DT (try picking up WFSU-DT on digital channel #32!). If I had a VHF antenna, I'd probably pick up WTWC-DT, but I have NEVER ONCE picked up WTLH-DT at all, not even a bit of a signal... which is saying a lot since I have picked up stations from Atlanta, Savannah, Macon, Columbus, Jacksonville, FL, Dothan, AL, Tampa, FL, Orlando, FL and more from time to time.

I've found lists that have been less than acurate regarding the power levels of digital stations, and often the best way to find out is to either look at the FCC website, or to ask questions in the Tallahassee, FL link I posted in my post above. It also has a list of the final channel numbers for Tallahassee, FL after the analog shutdown.

~Alan

Alan

Am I to understand that after the analog shutdown, all of the Tallahassee area broadcasts will be UHF? I thought VHF was the better choice and it appears there will be no broadcasts in the VHF realm.

WCTV-46
WFSU-32
WTLF-24
WTXL-27
WTWC-40
WTLH-49
WFXU-48

Scott

sansabar said:
Am I to understand that after the analog shutdown, all of the Tallahassee area broadcasts will be UHF? I thought VHF was the better choice and it appears there will be no broadcasts in the VHF realm.

Actually, GPTV station WABW in Pelham (close to the Tallahassee market) will be broadcasting on VHF channel #5. Other than that though, yes, every station should be UHF... which is kind of strange since WCTV recently started mapping their digital channel to 6-1 instead of 46-1 like they had been doing.

WTWC decided to change to UHF since #40 is usually easier to pick up than #2.
WCTV probably decided to change from #6 to #46 for the same reason.

Some stations have decided to change because of signal reasons, some decided to stay because of the familiar number, and some didn't want to have to switch from UHF back to VHF after spending the money to broadcast their current digital signal on UHF. Several other reasons could come into play also.

WALB-DT in Albany has decided to switch back to their analog channel of #10, and WFXL-DT has decided to stay on their current digital channel of #12.

~Alan

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)