stb problem - anyone else? Yes, don't reboot if you don't have to

mgh

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 26, 2004
The stb won't change channels and won't turn off. I've turned the power off to the unit a number of times and waited for reboot, but no improvement. The other stb has no problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
mgh :confused:

I too am having problems! Had mine installed this last thur. I have 2 rec. Last night & early this morning all was well. Then about 10:30 AM mountain time I turned on the TV in the living room & started surfing ch's. Then all of a sudden the rec. locked up. I tryed the power button on the rec. It turned off after 5 cesonds. It reset, I powered it up again. Then I could not change ch's. Then it locked up again. I then unpluged the unit for 20 minutes & tryed it all over again. Same thing!!!!!!!!! So, I checked the bedroom unit. This unit has allot less time on it than the living room. I started surfing ch's. Then, IT DID THE SAME THING!!!!!!!! This has to be some down load that has caused this. I hope VOOM figures it out soon.

Im also am having the same problem. I contacted customer service and many people are having the same problem. I turned off the stb and I am going to work, hopefully an update will come soon! Started around 10:30 :mad:

Mine has been locking up every other day since I got it a week and a half ago. I called Voom today to schedule a replacement box and to inquire as to why my service call for a bigger dish was never scheduled. The lady I spoke with put in the service call for the replacement box, but couldn't schedule it either. I have two service calls that they can't schedule. I was told I would get contacted withen 48 hours to get scheduled. Not very happy at the moment.

Same problem here... After unplugging the unit, plugging it back in and letting it sit for an hour there is PG info but I can't change channels. (the channel info is there and changes but the the screen stays at 100 or 101) If I try to change channels or press the voom button it eventually locks up and I have to cycle the power again. I was installed two weeks ago and have v6.0. Not a good sign. Whats going on???

Same here, have had mine for 5 months now and have never had this problem . Wont let me change channels and half the PG is gone and it locks up . Nothing helps

STB Lockup Recovery Procedure

When you experience a lockup, try this:

1. Unplug the STB for 30-40 seconds and plug it in again. (Alternatively you can try pressing and holding the power button on the STB itself for 6 seconds).

2. IMPORTANT: Leave the box alone for 20-30 minutes while it is loading the PG. Do not touch the remote!

3. If it gets locked up again, repeat the above procedure.

Today, July 19, spontaneous lockups seem to be caused by some problems at VOOM (with its TNT-HD channel)

Been VOOMing since last monday without any problems until today. Pressed power button on front of STB for 10 seconds problem came back after a couple of mins, pulled power cord out for 5 mins plugged back in and again after a few mins it happened again, called VOOM CSR explained problem was told I would receive call within 24 hours to setup replacement of STB, I will not hold my breathe waiting for the call. During the conversation I was told by the CSR he believes they are downloading in certain areas and that maybe causing a problem.

My Guide data went wonky this weekend, it only went out several hours. I reset the box and now it's back to normal.

Ilya, thank you for the info. I have 6.0 since the rec's are band new. BUT to no avail on rebooting. Something has changed from very early this morning to late in the morning. They downloaded something to cause this.

Mine has been out since this am. cannot change channels, lost all locals and all programming data, channel listings and box has been rebooted numerous times. all I get is channel 100 and it stays on that no matter if I move thru channel numbers . have been give 2 different answers from voom today . told that I need upgrade tonight and then that there was a satellite problem. and they couldnt tell me when to expect it back. I got this installed last monday and have I believe the latest software and box. Not very happy right now. also shouldnt they have adjusted my signal strength above and 86. this is the highest I get and lose signal constantly living in florida.

Mike

I just got off the phone with MetroTech Solutions who does the VOOM installations here in Dallas regarding the inability to change channels etc. He says that VOOM is installing new software and had given him an ETA of 2 hours (this was 3 hours ago) and I am continuing to have problems

Voom Software Issues?

This morning (7/19), all three of my Voom receivers stopped functioning on me - just a blank screen.
I had Voom installed on July 5, with receivers pre-loaded with version 6.0 software. I have had no problems at all until this morning. The Voom CSR informed me that my receivers had a software upgrade during the night which is not compatable with the box. Voom is receiving many calls about this today, and Motorola is working on a fix.
Anyone else having problems today?

I have the exact same problem, with all 3 of my receivers.
CSR told me I had a software upgrade this morning that caused the problems.
I already had v6.0 to begin with.

stb problems, OTA problems

For some unknown reason, my stb has crapped out just now. The guide locked up (first time this has happened since my install 7/12). So i tried to reboot by holding down the power button. Anyway, it will come back up long enough for me to get to System Settings, and then the box turns off, all the while with a red satellite icon. Maybe the box is getting the firmware update, so I won't mess with it for a while. As far as my ongoing OTA problem, I am receiving a service call to tune my antenna on Friday, and if that doesn't help, I am supposed to get an upgrade in the following days. Voom keeps this up, and I don't get any OTA channels, I will be leaving shortly.

Same problems in Detroit. A CSR told me it was caused by an attempt to upload a software upgrade. They're allegedly working on the problem.

Same problems here. My receiver is acting like it's possessed. It wouldn't change channels, then it wouldn't turn off, then I would get sound but no picture...and so on and so forth...

Not sure what's up with any new software since mine already had it. Since I had the new software already how can I tell if I have newer new software with their updates???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts