Stealth cancellation of Install dates!

voripteth

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 20, 2005
Aurora, IL
Warning! -- Don't let this happen to you!

I'm very eager to get my Dish system installed. The soonest date they were available was October 24th. A few days after I placed my installation order I noticed that I could also get CBS in HD so I called up and asked if they could install that as well. I was told, sure, but it required a second dish. This second dish couldn't be installed on the 24th but would go in on Nov 1st instead. I was particularly happy but I figured I could live with SD until I got the second dish.

Eager to get as much HD programming as possible I asked about adding Voom to my programming and have it installed when they came on the 24th. Much to my shock I was told I didn't have an installation scheduled on the 24th! :shocked Apparently they didn't want to make two trips so they canceled my installation on the 24th without telling me. :mad:

Fortunately the sales rep I was talking to warned me that any change to the order would mean another reschedule of installation. At least I only got burnt once.

Am I out of line or does it seem outrageous that they would cancel installation dates because you wanted more programming?

they should have told you they were cancelling the first appointment. however, i don't blame them for only wanting to come out once.

They should have contacted him and informed him of the change... It's an escolation waiting to happen... and when it does everyone will point fingers and noone will take blame.

I guess I just don't understand why Dish reschedules on any order change. Time has already been allotted by both the installer and customer, why incovenience both when you could just do the new service on the same date?

One of the reasons why I picked Dish was for the supposedly superior customer service. I'm starting to wonder about that...

voripteth said:
I guess I just don't understand why Dish reschedules on any order change. Time has already been allotted by both the installer and customer, why incovenience both when you could just do the new service on the same date?

One of the reasons why I picked Dish was for the supposedly superior customer service. I'm starting to wonder about that...

Its something that the system automatically does and the CSR has no controll over it. But the CSR should have mentioned something to you about it..

My point is that forcing an automatic reschedule is customer hostile behavior. They should be encouraging customers to order additional services not penalize them!

Ever since I decided to get a Dish it has been hurry up and wait. First they had me wait an extra week because I wanted a 942. Then they delayed another week because I wanted CBS HD. (Something the sales rep never mentioned I had to discover it on my own.) Then hungry for HD content I asked for Voom to be added and was told to ask the installer since changing my order would push me out another week.

I'm certainly not feeling like a valued Dish customer. :(

Oh trust me I understand your frustration.. :) Are you getting cbs hd out of ny or la? if your getting it out of NYC then you should be able to get voom w/ no problems... all you got to do is after everything is installed and activiated call and add voom.. If your getting it out of La then you would require a d1000 and a 2nd dish at 148 with a dpp 44 sw. Talk to your installer.. sometimes you can get them to do stuff on the side.

The Dish computer system can only handle one service event at a time (which is lame) when you called about CBS HD this change canceled your install.

I have seen this happen quite a few times.

Dish needs a upgrade of their system to bring it into modern times.

Yep, not many CSR's know that this is a possiblity either. I've seen must-carry appointments get cancelled because the tech. tried to activate the system AND set up a must-carry work order at the same time. When the CSR tries to close the work order for the main system activation, they end up closing both work orders without realizing. Their system is designed to be fool-proof so they need to have flexibility in CSR's that can work around it instead of getting blocked out by the system.

Well, I am a loyal Dish customer mostly because I could install the equipment myself and didn't have to deal with installers. Unfortunately I have given up on HD OTA into my 811, and am ATTEMPTING to subscribe to Comcast cable for local HD channels. You think you have problems with Dish installation appointments/rescheduling? Try your local cable monopoly....

wilme2 said:
Well, I am a loyal Dish customer mostly because I could install the equipment myself and didn't have to deal with installers. Unfortunately I have given up on HD OTA into my 811, and am ATTEMPTING to subscribe to Comcast cable for local HD channels. You think you have problems with Dish installation appointments/rescheduling? Try your local cable monopoly....

True. I had a total of 4 service appointments with Comcast and they were 0 for 4 for making the appt. on time. They give you 3-hour appointments which are good, but why make them 3-hour appointments when the techs can't even make it to the first one? Their first appointments are from 8-11 AM and not ONE of those service call appointments had a tech. come out during that time. So I gave a good 1 week break and called in again. They got it right eventually but 0 of 4, guys. They're almost as bad as Sears around here regarding appointments.

Charter hear where I live will make the appointment most of the time but leave saying they can't find anything wrong and try and charge you $75 for comming.

The last tech that showed up, because I complained about packet loss and ping times, couldn't even run a trace route or ping test. So I did it for him and showed him which router was the issue and who owned the IP assigned to it. He said he couldn't do anything about it and left.

I was so pissed I called there St. Louis call center and tried to raise hell and was told to call my local office, which they had just consolidated into a town 40+ miles away, and complain there.

At least with most problems with Dish or DTV an email to ceo@..... will get a call back from someone higher up when you get blown off enough times.

It's a very complicated system meant to balance installer availability and projected worload. Without getting terrifically detailed let's say your install was assigned a certain amount of points meant to represent an assumed allotment of time. Then you called to add a second dish. Since their system is designed to not allow two installs at the same time... so they tried to modify your workorder.. but the added work added more 'points', which weren't available for that day.. so it was rescheduled to the first available day that could handle the amount of work you need to get done.

If they allowed that workorder to grow without moving it to a spot where it could fit.. you run the risk of not having enough techs for the day's work, or an overloaded tech which will try to speed up his work so he can get home at a semi-decent hour.

I could get more detailed.. but that's the jist of it.

The best way to have handled this is to have not changed the original work date. When the tech arrives talk to him and see if he has the time and the equipment to do the 2nd dish. If he does have him do the install including the 2nd dish, then activate the rec. Then open a work order for the 2nd dish and close it immediately making sure it was assigned to the tech. Remember if the tech is a sub he will get paid for both work orders. Other then this it is always better to follow D* rules.

or if they modify the workorder while the tech is onsite.. the reschedule will be moot since he'll do it then and there.

bcshields said:
or if they modify the workorder while the tech is onsite.. the reschedule will be moot since he'll do it then and there.

Not if he dont have another dish in his truck. Most installers only carry enough dishes to do the installs they have for the day. Receivers is another matter. Most always have atleast 1 more than they need.

Texanmutt said:
Not if he dont have another dish in his truck. Most installers only carry enough dishes to do the installs they have for the day. Receivers is another matter. Most always have atleast 1 more than they need.

That's downright foolish. They take up little space. I always kept extra dishes.. matter of fact I picked up a bulk pack of 10 at a time. What if you're missing hardware? What if you screw up and warp the dish... what if you run into a modification or get a call to pick up a workorder because another tech broke down...

You can tell that those techs aren't working off of commission, if they're leaving excuses to reschedule.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)