Supporting Founder
Nov 18, 2003
n
http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,19116,00.html?fdnews

CBS, Stern Settle Suit

by Josh Grossberg
May 26, 2006, 2:15 PM PT

The epic battle is over.

Howard Stern and his ex-bosses at CBS Radio have agreed to a settlement in the breach of contract suit filed against the shock jock back in February.

On Friday, Stern regained control of the master tapes from the last 20 years of his terrestrial radio show, after his new employer, Sirius Satellite Radio agreed to shell out $2 million for the recordings.

"As part of the settlement, CBS Radio will receive payments relating to the conveyance of its rights in the recordings of The Howard Stern Show," read a statement released by both sides. "Sirius, for its part, will make a total payment of $2 million related to this conveyance."

The remaining details of the settlement remained undisclosed.

Both sides confirmed that they had reached an agreement on Wednesday, but lips remained zipped on the deal until all parties signed on the appropriate dotted lines.

CBS sued the self-professed King of All Media for $200 million-plus three months ago, alleging that Stern and Sirius committed a litany of offenses before the DJ left his home of nearly two decades in December for the unregulated universe that is satellite radio.

Among the major transgressions listed in the 43-page complaint were breach of contract, fraud, unjust enrichment, misappropriation of radio time, unfair competition and interference with Stern's CBS contract.

A few hours before the suit was filed, Stern hastily called a preemptive press conference to defend himself of the charges and accused CBS honcho Les Moonves, his archenemy, of "bullying" him in a shakedown attempt.

CBS fired back, claiming Stern violated his contract by routinely touting Sirius on his colorful morning show before his exit, essentially giving the company free ad time. The broadcaster also accused Stern of fraudulently concealing his interest in hundreds of millions of dollars of Sirius stock while plugging Sirius on the air (last November, his bosses suspended him for one day for overtly hyping Sirius).

Fed up with constant battles with the Federal Communications Commission and CBS over decency regulations, including getting hit with record-breaking fines over his show's content, Stern signed a five-year $500 million contract with Sirius last year.

However, once the satellite provider reached the 3.3 million subscriber mark (fans pay $12.95 a month—or $142.45 a year—for the service), the radio host and his agent, Don Buchwald, received 34 million shares worth an additional $220 million, increasing the value of his deal well north of $600 million all without telling CBS.

Since his debut on Sirius in January, Stern is finally able to say whatever he wants, free of the oversight of the FCC and CBS Standards and Practices. Ironically however, Moonves and company may have the last laugh.

In recent months, Stern has complained on air that many fans of his once-mighty audience of 12 million have yet to plunk down the $12 monthly fee and follow him to his profanity-laced perch on satellite. Such talk prompted reports that Stern was thinking about a return to terrestrial radio, rumors which he has since flatly denied.

A representative for Sirius was unavailable for comment on the settlement.

well sucks to pay $2 mill but since they got the tapes for it, so I guess it's alright

That is what the "shake down" comment was all about. CBS knew Stern wanted the tapes, and believed all along he would fight for them, thus my thinking they filled their suit as a bargaining chip vs him. I am just glad this crap is over between them.

Stern leaves for Sirius.

Stern asks for his tapes.

CBS says "sure, $20 million please."

Stern "Forget it!"

CBS "Now we want $200 million"

Stern says "We'll see about that."

A few months later, settled out of court & Stern has his tapes for 1/10 of what CBS wanted for them.

I'd like to hear the details, but from the sounds of it, Stern came out on top. :D

Considering they originally wanted 20 mil & Stern was offering 4, then they sued him for 200. I'd consider getting them for 2 mill comming out ahead. He got them for cheaper than his original offer.

I am hearing a buzz they will add a 3rd Howard Channel which will contain CLASSIC Howard Stern Shows, and I also understand that the shows will be aired uncensored.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I am hearing a buzz they will add a 3rd Howard Channel which will contain CLASSIC Howard Stern Shows, and I also understand that the shows will be aired uncensored.

That same buzz is being heard elsewhere. Sounds like this buzz may have legs.:D

sams0n said:
i wonder if they will charge extra if they add a 3rd channel?

Only if it was video. Having said that, Sirius and XM both said price increases are not out of the question sometime in the future.

Howard has said many times that Sirius gave him the option of a 3rd channel but he hasn't done it due to a lack of programming. "Howard Classic" seems like a great way to fill a 3rd channel! Whatever happened, it does look like CBS was left with some serious egg on their faces.

It would be hard to imagine an extra charge for a 3rd channel since the other 2 Howard channels are included in the basic price.

I think there's plenty of space on the 2 channels to incorporate old bits...

Stern absolutely owned CBS here, He got all that material that made him what he was, for 2 million bucks. CBS are idiots...

Scott should have offered them 3 million and put the content on the site for pub members and watched his paypal account explode...

Purogamer said:
I think there's plenty of space on the 2 channels to incorporate old bits...

Stern absolutely owned CBS here, He got all that material that made him what he was, for 2 million bucks. CBS are idiots...

Scott should have offered them 3 million and put the content on the site for pub members and watched his paypal account explode...

While I cannot disagree there is room for the old bits on the existing 2 channels, there is an ever increasing demand for Bubba's show to be replayed more often, Shows like Riley Martin are gathering listener demand for more. He had over 21,000 callers online the last show. (for those who do not know who Riley Martin is go to http://www.thecomingoftan.com/ ). This show has a cult following and I will admit I find it very entertaining. I am not sure how long he will hold interest, but so far so good.

My point is that it seems Sirius listeners like the ability to catch a replay of Stern's and Bubba at their convenience. A third channel is a good possibility and may be needed.

Just goes to show you that people are lazy and rather just turn on the radio and listen rather than time shift the material.

Riley is priceless! He's worth every penny of his $200/show. :D

I'm going to use his method of asking for a raise next week, lol.

The story out now is that Stern and Buchwald paid 10 million and Sirius paid 2 million, still a good deal since CBS wanted $20 million for the old stuff.

And while this is good for us, I want to hear more of his old WNBC shows , I have heard most of the CBS stuff, but not that much WNBC except for what has played.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)