Stick with Dish 942 or go with FIOS? HELP!!!

Ncc1701

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
I Live on Long Island and the FIOS guy came knocking on my door yesterday. I scheduled an install date of 7/13. But now I'm second guessing myself.

I am really happy with my Dish 942 and 611. I have Verizon for my landline and DSL. If I get the FIOS, I get all three services $10/mo cheaper and much faster internet. I also get VOD with FIOS and 15 more hours of HD recording time.

What I lose is the reliability and fast performance of my 942 and I hear the 30 second skip function is not available on the Motorola FIOS boxes.

HELP, I'm torn and need some help making up my mind. What would you do if you were me? Thanks for your opinions!!!

I tried FiOS for 30 days, and put Dish on "vacation". I returned to Dish for exactly the reasons you gave. The Dish equipment is faster, more reliable, and has that very important skip ahead button! I have since upgraded to two 642's, and don't regret leaving FiOS for a minute!
Tom in TX

Tom- How difficult was it to switch back? I mean the FIOS installer must have moved the coax from the DISH to the FIOS box right? DID DIsh offer to re connect you for free?

My wife really wants on Demand so I'm thinking I might try the FIOS.

The internet experience is AMAZING. FIOS TV is not bad, the hardware is not as good as the 622 but the picture quality is very sharp. I think the vacation method is the best way to do it w/o much risk.

I Live on Long Island and the FIOS guy came knocking on my door yesterday. I scheduled an install date of 7/13. But now I'm second guessing myself.

I am really happy with my Dish 942 and 611. I have Verizon for my landline and DSL. If I get the FIOS, I get all three services $10/mo cheaper and much faster internet. I also get VOD with FIOS and 15 more hours of HD recording time.

What I lose is the reliability and fast performance of my 942 and I hear the 30 second skip function is not available on the Motorola FIOS boxes.

HELP, I'm torn and need some help making up my mind. What would you do if you were me? Thanks for your opinions!!!
Had a 942 and thought it was great until the 622 came out. The 622 had a few hiccups, but is now as reliable as anything on the market. I've also got FIOS and as far as I'm concerned, FIOS is better, but their Moto PVR needs work. Smaller harddrive, slow and clunky best describes it. If you can bear living with a lesser PVR, FIOS is the way to go.

The other thing that is stopping me from switching to FIOS is that Dish has UHF remotes. I have all my receivers in a seperate room. I hate hearing the fan noise and hard drive noise at 3:00am

FiOS internet is outstanding! Their TV PQ is unbeatable. We still stay with E* for TV because the 622 is hard to beat and E* still seems to give you maybe a bit more for your money (more channels, more HD, etc.)

---Doug

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)