Still under 2 yr contract - can Dish raise $$ on me?

Just curious what the effect would be if DISH dropped some of the locals and did not get them quickly renewed. They can't provide you a substitute for a local network station since they can't provide DNS, so , would that open the contract where one could cancel without penalty since it would solely be the fault of Dish that they could not furnish what the original agreement was based upon? It's not like the station went out of business, just Charlie chose not to pay the "x" amount per year.

Many have gotten a discount on the $5 local fee when a station has been dropped.

penalty

I think that when ever the price increases, the penalty cost should reduce accordingly. I'm sure that's covered in the stinking contract as well but at least it sounds better. I mean think about this for a minute. The reason most people don't read the contract letter for letter is they only get to see it after the installation is complete and no one is going to make the installer stand there while you read it and then say ok I disagree, please take it all down! I guess after so many days you could do that but no one again is going to have it taken back after watching it for a while. It's kinda like auto door locks on the car, power windows, going to McDonalds and also going to Wal-Mart, you can't do without them and you ain't going to quit going so you might as well take it like a man and let it go! Let it go Louie, let it go!

I am glad that when I used the Dish Mover feature 12 months ago that I refused to pay or extend the contract. I told the CSR that the only way I would pay or sign anything would be if the installer they sent out was changing me over to DirecTV. They wanted an 18 month extension to do a free dish move and the house was already set up for Dish. Nothing had to be done except add an adaptor for each box so they would use the newer Dish500PRO lnb's. And if AAD does not offer networks in HD during the 1st qtr of 2009 as some people on this forum have posted, it's goodby Dish and AAD and hello DirecTV.

We all agreed to the fact that Dish can increase prices, and change programming at any timer with no recourse, when we signed our contracts. And if you think you've got a defense by saying it was too much trouble for you to read, you're just gonna give a judge a good laugh. Or, more likely, make him sigh.

Well, first off ...thanks everyone for their input.

About year & half ago I signed up T-mobile with 2 year contract. There was ETF fee of either $180 or $200. But 8 months in contract pay-per-text message went up from $.10 to $.15. I decided to put professor claim to test. I showed him contract after class. He said contract will be voided and renewed if I stay silent for x # of days. I called T.mob retention center claiming I do not agree with price and would like cancel my service (ummm I did get free phone on sign up..sssshhh). They try to offer few month free text but I insist on canceling...fast forward...it has been about half year since then I didn't pay ETF and canceled my service.

I shared my experience with my cousin who was with Sprint, Sprint raise their rates as well, I told him the process I went through and guess what?...he was off the hook too. He in fact made thread on howard fourms, which is now well above 50 pages long thread with other users sharing their experience...

T-mobile contract language was along line" T-mobile reserve right to raise price at its discretion"...which means in layman term , they can change price BUT CANNOT FORCE YOU TO ACCEPT. However if you stay silent for X # of days, it means you agreed with it and it continues with revised contract.

My Office/Warehouse 5 year contract lease is along lines"...rent will increase by 7% on every Augest..." layman term, rent will go up by upto 7% and contract will stay intact. My landloard cant just raise it to whatever he wants (just or unjust).

I realize that most of us here are either videophiler or dish contracter/employee. Probably none of us are legal expert and neither am I...I just happen stumble upon cell phone contract loophole which you can exploit (I think within 15 or 30 days in Texas; varies by state) only when rates go up that are not explicitly defined in contract. I and many other benefited from (or you can say we screwed cellphone company) after learning it and we shared it only through these forums.

If anyone in forum is with legal background, or knows someone with legal expertise, ask them for their feedback for what I just said... see if it holds water...

P.S. if you are in military and are being deployed, you can you use that to get out of contract without penalty. They may ask for deployment letter. It has to do something with your arm force contract over ruling other civils.

P.P.S; sorry for such a long post, just trying to share some relevant info and please respectfully debate if I am wrong...

I just love newbies here...

Has it ever occurred to you that maybe the reason that so many people ask about getting out of their contract, and other things like viewing their recorded programs on their PC, or getting out-of-market locals, or getting channels a la carte, is because THE NORMAL PERSON THINKS THESE ARE REASONABLE THINGS? Any law that says you can't do something that you obviously should be able to do is a law enacted by someone who is either demented or violently anti-freedom or both.

Has it ever occurred to you that maybe the reason that so many people ask about getting out of their contract, and other things like viewing their recorded programs on their PC, or getting out-of-market locals, or getting channels a la carte, is because THE NORMAL PERSON THINKS THESE ARE REASONABLE THINGS? Any law that says you can't do something that you obviously should be able to do is a law enacted by someone who is either demented or violently anti-freedom or both.

The reasonable thing would have been to read and understand the contract before signing it, and then if you don't like what it says, not signing it in the first place. That's reasonable. But to cry about it three, six, 10 months later about how you are being mistreated and they should let you out of the contract is just plain idiotic!

Well, first off ...thanks everyone for their input.

About year & half ago I signed up T-mobile with 2 year contract. There was ETF fee of either $180 or $200. But 8 months in contract pay-per-text message went up from $.10 to $.15. I decided to put professor claim to test. I showed him contract after class. He said contract will be voided and renewed if I stay silent for x # of days. I called T.mob retention center claiming I do not agree with price and would like cancel my service (ummm I did get free phone on sign up..sssshhh). They try to offer few month free text but I insist on canceling...fast forward...it has been about half year since then I didn't pay ETF and canceled my service.

I shared my experience with my cousin who was with Sprint, Sprint raise their rates as well, I told him the process I went through and guess what?...he was off the hook too. He in fact made thread on howard fourms, which is now well above 50 pages long thread with other users sharing their experience...

T-mobile contract language was along line" T-mobile reserve right to raise price at its discretion"...which means in layman term , they can change price BUT CANNOT FORCE YOU TO ACCEPT. However if you stay silent for X # of days, it means you agreed with it and it continues with revised contract.

My Office/Warehouse 5 year contract lease is along lines"...rent will increase by 7% on every Augest..." layman term, rent will go up by upto 7% and contract will stay intact. My landloard cant just raise it to whatever he wants (just or unjust).

I realize that most of us here are either videophiler or dish contracter/employee. Probably none of us are legal expert and neither am I...I just happen stumble upon cell phone contract loophole which you can exploit (I think within 15 or 30 days in Texas; varies by state) only when rates go up that are not explicitly defined in contract. I and many other benefited from (or you can say we screwed cellphone company) after learning it and we shared it only through these forums.

If anyone in forum is with legal background, or knows someone with legal expertise, ask them for their feedback for what I just said... see if it holds water...

P.S. if you are in military and are being deployed, you can you use that to get out of contract without penalty. They may ask for deployment letter. It has to do something with your arm force contract over ruling other civils.

P.P.S; sorry for such a long post, just trying to share some relevant info and please respectfully debate if I am wrong...

You are comparing very different contracts. Yes, cell phone agreements state that no fees or rates can change, but the Dish Network doesn't. A quick search gave me the following language from the agreement:

G. Changes in Services offered. DISH Network reserves the right to change the Services that we offer, and our prices or fees related to such Services at any time. If the change affects you, we will provide you notice of the change and its effective date. The notice may be provided on your billing statement or by other communication permitted under Section 9B. In the event of a change in the contents of any programming, programming packages or other Services, you understand and agree that we have no obligation to replace or supplement the programming, programming packages or other Services previously offered that have been deleted, rearranged or otherwise changed. You further understand and agree you will not be entitled to any refund because of a change in the contents of any programming, programming packages, or other Services previously offered.

Pretty clear cut... don't need a lawyer for that.

Hate to be stubborn mule....

You are comparing very different contracts. Yes, cell phone agreements state that no fees or rates can change, but the Dish Network doesn't. A quick search gave me the following language from the agreement:

G. Changes in Services offered. DISH Network reserves the right to change the Services that we offer, and our prices or fees related to such Services at any time. If the change affects you, we will provide you notice of the change and its effective date. The notice may be provided on your billing statement or by other communication permitted under Section 9B. In the event of a change in the contents of any programming, programming packages or other Services, you understand and agree that we have no obligation to replace or supplement the programming, programming packages or other Services previously offered that have been deleted, rearranged or otherwise changed. You further understand and agree you will not be entitled to any refund because of a change in the contents of any programming, programming packages, or other Services previously offered....

Thanks for posting contract terms here but I disagree here (hope I am not sounding like a stubborn mule...don't burn me this comment:eek:)

HIGHLIGHT where it says you HAVE TO AGREE with new terms. It says:

• Dish can change whatever they want.
  • you cannot ask for replacement or supplement
  • you cannot ask for refund or discount
No mention for YOU to agree with change of terms. Reason they will notify is because state law requires them and your silence in reply will enforce new terms.. They wont mention it because...law does not require them to disclose that you cancel it that point.

I am subscribed to HD absolute package. I am hearing that i will forced out of it by 02/09. I shall have chat with them when time comes. I will update with result of it.

Pretty clear cut... don't need a lawyer for that.
Contract 101: (learned @ school): don't assume anything. If it is not mentioned then it is NOT part of accord.

P.S. I called my cousin who I mentioned in previous post. I am passing along what he told me. if anyone who wanna get out Sprint cellphone contract now it is time (before 01/09). They are raising "Administration Fee" from $.75 to a $1.00. guess what that is....contract revision. PM me or head over to slick deals if you need CANNED dialogue to say to sprint....

Most companies will throw whiners a bone to stay with the company but if they whine even louder, letting them go is no big deal when there are millions more.

One exception: ATT

I would love to see you try to get out of an ATT contract without paying.

Lawyers are always spouting what they can do and get away with because they are in the system and know all the trick phrases to make it not worth the company's time to deal with the matter. Then some armchair lawyer thinks they can do the same, gets lucky and starts telling everyone to pull the same stunt. Some companies will just drop you, others will crush your little pinhead and take the two pennies inside.

All this talk about contracts MIGHT be correct in places, however, you will find that most documents people sign today say AGREEMENT, not contract. So the document will say something like Service Agreement.

As for the military, Congress did ONE thing right and signed the Soldiers and Sailors Relief Act, giving military members the ability to stop predators from raping them and their families when they are called to serve their country and wind up in a foreign combat zone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts