Strange issue recording one show (Elementary)

sclaws

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Aurora, IL
So, my wife is deep in annoyed-mode with this, and I'm not sure WTH is happening. We have the CBS show "Elementary" scheduled to record all new episodes. For some reason, the recording always starts 30 minutes early, even though it was setup to record direct from the Guide. I tried deleting/re-adding the timer in case there was some bug, but no change. Last ditch fix attempt was to extend the recording by 30 minutes...and even that doesn't work--the recording still ends after an hour.

This doesnt happen with any other program or channel. Very strange. Any suggestions??

NOTE: This is with the Hopper 3.

its happening with directv and the genie also.
i am thinking something is causing the programming to run late

i just told it to add 30 min to the program

So, my wife is deep in annoyed-mode with this, and I'm not sure WTH is happening. We have the CBS show "Elementary" scheduled to record all new episodes. For some reason, the recording always starts 30 minutes early, even though it was setup to record direct from the Guide. I tried deleting/re-adding the timer in case there was some bug, but no change. Last ditch fix attempt was to extend the recording by 30 minutes...and even that doesn't work--the recording still ends after an hour.

This doesnt happen with any other program or channel. Very strange. Any suggestions??

NOTE: This is with the Hopper 3.

You say direct from the guide. Can I assume that you are NOT using PTAT for Sunday nights? While I don't have the H3, I have the HWS. Because of CBS football on Sundays and the fact that they never end on time, I don't do PTAT on Sunday nights and set 3 separate timers for NCIS LA, Madame Secretary, and Elementary. I set them initially from guide and add 45 minutes to the end of each timer. Knock on wood I have not had a problem with any of three since doing it this way.
Gerry

I have had no problem with recording Elementary. I record with an extra hour because of CBS's Sunday behavior. You need to have PTAT off on Sunday nights to have it work correctly, or set an edited regular timer and go into the schedule each week and unskip it.

I could never get my timers to pad for 5 minutes over the time using ptat. So I stopped using it and set up individual timers , each with 5 minute over and now I never miss any show ending due to the guide cutting it off or ptat cutting it off early. Also on CBS on Sunday nights I set up a weekly timer that runs from 7:00pm to 11:30 pm central time to take into account any sports overruns that happen during football season. My wife now doesn't complain anymore missing her shows on that night now.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I have had no problem with recording Elementary. I record with an extra hour because of CBS's Sunday behavior. You need to have PTAT off on Sunday nights to have it work correctly, or set an edited regular timer and go into the schedule each week and unskip it.

If no problem, then why the thread saying you have a problem with "Elementary"? Got me confused unless your saying you never had a previous problem and now you do. At any rate if you are still having the problem with recording starting a half hour early then it appears the H3 is not recognizing the fact that CBS changed the beginning time of the show from 10 pm to 10:30 pm. This would be a logical explanation.
If it was me I would delete the timer> power off unit> pull power plug for 5 minutes> plug back in and redo timer. This should force a brand new program guide download to H3..
Gerry

You say direct from the guide. Can I assume that you are NOT using PTAT for Sunday nights? While I don't have the H3, I have the HWS. Because of CBS football on Sundays and the fact that they never end on time, I don't do PTAT on Sunday nights and set 3 separate timers for NCIS LA, Madame Secretary, and Elementary. I set them initially from guide and add 45 minutes to the end of each timer. Knock on wood I have not had a problem with any of three since doing it this way.
Gerry
I learned the hard way that PTAT sets precedence over individual timers. I knew that football runs over most of the time, so I went into 'Timers' and set Elementy to quit one hour late. When it didn't, I later saw a note on the recording page that said something like "Timer not started because of PTAT"

Rather than turning off PTAT on Sundays, I simply clicked recurring timers for the two local news shows that follow Elementary. Problem solved.

Same here we record the news on a recurring timer. Have not missed any since. Funny thing is last season we missed the end of an episode because of football which prompted the news timer, however we have yet to see the episode repeat again so we can watch the end. They seem to replay season 1 and 2 a lot.

I learned the hard way that PTAT sets precedence over individual timers. I knew that football runs over most of the time, so I went into 'Timers' and set Elementy to quit one hour late. When it didn't, I later saw a note on the recording page that said something like "Timer not started because of PTAT"

Rather than turning off PTAT on Sundays, I simply clicked recurring timers for the two local news shows that follow Elementary. Problem solved.

You could also just unskip the individual timer in the schedule, a few seconds work, once a week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts