Strange noise during Emmys, nfl game and now DWTS!?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Khurram

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 28, 2005
So, I was watching the Giants game last night and I noticed a strange noise throughout the game. It almost sounded like a faint cell phone ringtone from the late 90's coming from my TV. It would happend every couple of seconds I noticed. I then remembered that during the Emmy's, I heard the exact same thing. A little searching on twitter showed I was not alone with hearing that sound during the emmys. A weird chime/ringtone that went off every couple of seconds. I thought it was my TV, but I changed the channel on both programs and there was no weird sound. It seems to occur only during live events. I also heard the same noise during Dancing with the Stars tonight! Anyone else hear this sound? Better yet, can anyone explain what it is?

I noticed it too during DWTS. It's just someone's cell phone ringing near an open mic. The fact that it happened on different shows is coincidence. Be grateful it was just a cell phone. I've heard some interesting things come over open mics when people thought they were off.

I noticed it too during DWTS. It's just someone's cell phone ringing near an open mic. The fact that it happened on different shows is coincidence. Be grateful it was just a cell phone. I've heard some interesting things come over open mics when people thought they were off.

I'm pretty sure it was not a cellphone. I keep hearing a low toned sound in the background every 5-6 seconds and it's consistently there over a 30-40 minute duration. It sounds like someone dialing numbers on an old school phone pad. Like when you would sometimes hear a cross line on your phone when dialing long distance back in the day! It's not a one off cell phone ring. Very hard to explain though. It was during the Emmy's, the Giants game and now DWTS. I'm checking twitter and a lot of people are hearing it but it seems like it's only Dtv viewers that are hearing it.

I'm finding more and more people experiencing the same thing on multiple shows but I guess it's not limited to D*

"Happening right now during Glee. I am not amused..."

red76nj

"I am going to call Comcast tomorrow and ask them about it. My DD is hearing it on Glee also."

"Okay, I thought maybe this thread belonged in the "Mental Health" thread, but I swear to God, on the Yankee game on Channel 9 right now, I hear the same noise in the background, every few seconds.

I switched over to the Mets game on SNY, trying to see if it is only present for live events, I dont hear it on that channel.

Wondering if it has something to do with hi def reception. I dont have a high def television, maybe something has changed with the way the signal is sent to non hi def TV's on some channels?

NO- I have not been drinking or nor am I on any prescription medication!

I wouldnt have believed it if I hadnt heard it myself!"

The Rhyme Animal

I didn't hear it on any of the mentioned shows that I caught. BUT if you have DirecTV HD but no HDTV or using 2-chnl audio; go into the DirecTV menu and turn off DD audio output. See if that helps (even though like I mentioned I never heard those sounds.

Well, they have proved so far that it's on multiple providers, so it's not D* related (directly) as in equipment.

While I find this interesting, I have yet to hear it ... I had the MNF game on all night.

The channel you are viewing probably still uses the old DTMF system for signaling automated systems to start a different program source...such as a digital cart machine for commercials.

I didn't watch any of the shows mentioned, but I have heard DTMF from time to time. Four pulses going into a commercial break.

I hear it, was watching NFL on FOX, sounds like my kids left their DSi running somewhere.

IT"S REALLY ANNOYING :)

Last edited:
Hmm I watched a little bit of the emmy's and most of the Sunday and Monday night football games on Dish. I didn't hear any strange noises through my Sony 5.1 receiver.

I hear it on NFL and MLB playoff games (I have a 5.1 surround sound system). It doesn't happen during commercials and it seems to be when there is a lot of background noise like when the crowd is cheering. My wife can't hear it but it's driving me nuts. I changed the surround sound setting and it doesn't make a difference (I have DTV).

denverbrian said:
I hear it on NFL and MLB playoff games (I have a 5.1 surround sound system). It doesn't happen during commercials and it seems to be when there is a lot of background noise like when the crowd is cheering. My wife can't hear it but it's driving me nuts. I changed the surround sound setting and it doesn't make a difference (I have DTV).

Do you hear it with the TV speakers without the surrond sound ?

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

Same problem here

I, too, discovered the annoying "digital sounding" tone that plays over and over, first at the Emmys, then during the baseball playoffs on TBS, then during the Jets football game on CBS. I, too, have found the tone to play primarily when there is loud crowd sound.

The Cablevision guy came by and said he could not hear it, which made me feel like I'm insane :)

I showed this thread to him and he read it but said he didn't know what to do.

It seems like it's only an issue during live events during crowd noise.

I will check this afternoon during the baseball games if it comes through on the TV speakers. I have a DVR so it will be easy to check.

video subcarrier interference with the audio signal is the most likely culprit.

video subcarrier interference with the audio signal is the most likely culprit.

Care to translate that to AV tech for dummies speak for me? I googled subcarrier and still don't completely understand it. Is it something that is originating with the signal coming into the house or is it something that can be fixed with a change of cable type?

Thanks for the input.

A friend of mine was reporting this issue, so I went to his house to listen to it. It wasn't what I thought.

It's ABC and FOX over compressing their signals. What you are hearing are compression artifacts caused by bad data compression. Compression artifacts in compressed audio can show up as a kind of metallic ringing or warbling noise. It is far more noticable in a sound like an audience applauding than it would be on something like a music track or speech.

The solution is for D* to contact ABC and Fox and tell them to compress their data correctly.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)