strange problem watching 1hr buffers....

jct21

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
May 26, 2018
kentucky
this has happened a few times and im not sure how to explain it... but whenever im watching programs in the 1hr buffer and FF through commercials, somehow it skips ahead past the last few minutes of the show im watching to the next show. when i RW to the parts that was skipped, that particular part of the show is no longer there, even though i can RW to the parts before the skip. always happens on the ending parts of a show after the last commercial break thats being somehow deleted from the buffers. pressing RW when the new show starts to go back to see the missed part gets me the part prior to the last commercial break without ever showing the skipped endings. what does the H3 do with the last few minutes of buffered shows? any thoughts? bad sectors on a failing hard drive? noticed this happening on tvland, history, science and get tv.

I think I had such behavior only four or five times in the last 6+ months. It should NOT be doing that, but, of course, I allow for that one or two times a year. The only thing I can think of is that on occasions I sometimes notice a blip or even the banner showing when in DELAYED Live TV indicating to me that in the background when the digital stream outputs the data for new banner info for the show playing (the banner may display without command, but not always), that sometimes can have a weird effect. This does not happen all the time or even most, in my experience, but on occasion, and it is a bear to playback correctly but ONLY at--what to me--appears to be the time the NEW EPG/Banner data is being accessed and laid down (when a show is supposed to end and the new one begin) on the HDD, as if it caused a "break" in the stream, when it should NOT.

Of course, this does not necessarily occur at the moment a show really ends and the new one begins, and this gets into a whole complicated matter of the digital stream being incredibly long and how that creates a delay that falls behind real time, so Dish, after a long while, changed the clock time on our DVR's so that we would be able to have the timers start BEFORE the show starts instead of AFTER as was happening to much complaint. Long rabbit hole that only a very few on this forum have never understood, so I end that matter here.

Reactions: jct21
The only thing I can think of is that on occasions I sometimes notice a blip or even the banner showing when in DELAYED Live TV indicating to me that in the background when the digital stream outputs the data for new banner info for the show playing (the banner may display without command, but not always), that sometimes can have a weird effect. This does not happen all the time or even most, in my experience,
I hate when that happens (the banner popping up by itself). It always freaks me out, because I'm like "I didn't press any buttons on the remote, so why is it doing this?" I have noticed that when I change to a channel in the middle of one show, and then leave it there, the banner will usually pop-up at the start of the next show. (As you said, this doesn't always happen, but that is when I notice it when it does happen.) If I continue to leave it on the same channel, then the banner will calm down after that, and not pop-up anymore at the start of each show after that. (Again, this doesn't always work, so the banner actually will keep popping up at the start of each show. That is very rare, though, and I have not seen that behavior in quite a long while.)

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts