Strange sound problem from Epix

mmcl26554

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 18, 2006
Northern WV
My Wife was watching the 007 marathon on Epix. Every time there was an action scene with gunfire for example the sound went way way high! If you turned the volume down so it was tolerable, then when it went to voice only scenes it was to low. This was occurring on All Epix channels for the past 2 days. I tried different programs for Dolby but nothing improved it until I switched to 2 channel stereo! Epix said the movies were in Dolby 5.1 but is there something wrong with the way they broadcast it or with my setup.
722k connected to TV via HDMI and surround sound amp connected to TV analog output. I do have an optical cable connected from TV to surround sound amp. but I cannot control the volume with the TV remote. I didn't try the digital optical connection but I have never experienced this problem with any other channel broadcasting in Dolby 5.1.
Michael

Kevin,
The surround amp (Sony) synthesizes it from the analog audio. Dolby Prologic creates the 5.1 from a 2 channel stereo broadcast. See the pdf file attached.
Michael

Attachments

• 208_Dolby_Surround_Pro_Logic_Decoder.pdf
    356.6 KB · Views: 548
Last edited:
Last evening we watched a movie on Epix and the volume fluctuations from conversation to action were absolutely intolerable unless you run the volume level up and down all the time. I have not been able to find a setting of my surround sound amp to minimize this. I am thinking there must be something wrong with Epix or ??? Does anyone have any experience with this and any solutions?
Michael

It is hard to know if it is the movie or not without knowing which movie it is. If it was only the one movie it could have just been Epix, or that movie, but if it is every movie, it could be an issue with your system.

Michael - As has been pointed out, you need to connect your Dish DVR to the audio system via optical cable to get true 5.1 DD. Or, if your audio system has HDMI inputs and outputs, use HDMI from the DVR to Audio system, then HDMI from Audio system to TV. As you, yourself, point out, the Sony amp is only synthesizing surround sound using its ProLogic decoder, which might be what's causing the issue.

Also, make sure the Audio settings for the 722k are set for PCM/Dolby, Leveling Disabled, and Line. THat will give you the best audio quality from the DVR.

Obviously, with the above hookups, your TV remote will not control the volume. You will need your Audio system remote to control the volume. But, you should not be using your TV remote anyway. You should be using the 722k remote for the DVR, TV, and Audio system. (And, DVD/BluRay, if applicable). Or, better yet, get a Harmony 650 or 700 to control everything a bit easier.

I understand. I can connect an optical cable from the 722k to the Sony. I do have the settings on the 722k as you suggest. I will try the optical cable and see if that fixes it. If it does then I can at least program the Vizio remote to use the Sony volume as the global control. I'll have to do some research to see if I can program the dish 21.0 global volume to a different code. But first I'll need to see if it works with the optical cable. The good thing about this connection is I will be able to switch back and forth between the 2 inputs with the remote. It'll be a good test and I'll post back the results. Thanks for the suggestions GaryPen!
Michael

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts