Stream to HR21 to PC

michaelbudney

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
It's been a while since I was on but there was some talk in the past that DTV had a beta in the works to allow recordings to be viewed on a PC. Any progress or word on when that will be available?

In field testing now with about 60 testers, maybe more.

Software still has a long way to go from what I've read. It is a special software being developed by Cybermedia (they make powerdvd IIRC) specifically for DirecTV HR2x receiver to stream to the PC.

The software uses product keys, good for only one computer. The general thought is that D* will sell this software to allow users to stream to a computer. It will only work on the local network, it is not like a slingbox.

Picture quality and sound are HD and looks good from what I've heard.

It's been a while since I was on but there was some talk in the past that DTV had a beta in the works to allow recordings to be viewed on a PC. Any progress or word on when that will be available?
Currently there is a limited number of folks testing the PC Media Share function with the HR20. The HR21 hasn't yet, AFAIK, received the software to allow it to be the server end of the connection. As for when it will go public no word on that either.

If it's made by Cybermedia it should be a decent quality app. Will the software be sold or rented like a receiver? I don't see it being worth the cost of another receiver rental.

I'm hoping it's a one time fee, $29 or so. I agree - not worth $5/mo.
No word yet on price or when.

They are also developing a box to use the computer as a full media center (tuner box) and that will be treated as a receiver, $5/mo. It too has started testing, but is being run by Microsoft and very few details are out yet.

Another thing to consider I suppose is just because something is in testing does not mean we'll ever see it.

I'd go for $29. My kids are always on the xbox (same set as DTV). So it would be nice to watch recordings on the PC.

Psst, DTV, if you're looking for a any picky software engineers to test the product I'm here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)