Streaming file sizes

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Texican

Original poster
Jul 25, 2017
West Texas
Newbie here

I'm on one of those wireless "unlimited plans" subject to throttling after 22GB usage,

What are file sizes for Dish VOD and netflix"

HD, half hour and one hour

Thanks

Newbie here

I'm on one of those wireless "unlimited plans" subject to throttling after 22GB usage,

What are file sizes for Dish VOD and netflix"

HD, half hour and one hour

Thanks

I'm on the same Verizon plan as you. I've clocked Netflix at maximum 4.5 mbps; that's with the $13.99/month Netflix 4K plan.

As far as Dish Anywhere, the bitrates will adjust depending on your available bandwidth. I've also seen about 4.5 mbps from Dish Anywhere.

Hope that helps.

How can I control how much data Netflix uses?

According to this Netflix support page, Netflix uses up to 3GB per hour for high quality HD and 7GB per hour for 4K streaming.

You can change your Netflix settings to limit your self to medium quality SD for 0.7GB per hour or low quality SD for 0.3GB per hour. It's harder to say for Dish Anywhere since I don't think they put their numbers out there.

I'm on the same Verizon plan as you. I've clocked Netflix at maximum 4.5 mbps; that's with the $13.99/month Netflix 4K plan.

As far as Dish Anywhere, the bitrates will adjust depending on your available bandwidth. I've also seen about 4.5 mbps from Dish Anywhere.

Hope that helps.

This seems incredibly low for streaming 4K content. Your 4.5Mbps number seems much more reasonable for HD. Netflix recommends 25Mbps for 4K and 5Mbps for HD.
Internet Connection Speed Recommendations

According to this Netflix support page, Netflix uses up to 3GB per hour for high quality HD and 7GB per hour for 4K streaming.

You can change your Netflix settings to limit your self to medium quality SD for 0.7GB per hour or low quality SD for 0.3GB per hour. It's harder to say for Dish Anywhere since I don't think they put their numbers out there.

This seems incredibly low for streaming 4K content. Your 4.5Mbps number seems much more reasonable for HD. Netflix recommends 25Mbps for 4K and 5Mbps for HD.

I’m not actually streaming 4K. I have the Netflix $13.99 plan which gives you 4 simultaneous streams and up to 4K if your machine can handle it. I don’t have a 4K tv.

I’m not actually streaming 4K. I have the Netflix $13.99 plan which gives you 4 simultaneous streams and up to 4K if your machine can handle it. I don’t have a 4K tv.

That makes sense. When you mentioned the 4K streaming plan it just made it sound like you were saying it was 4.5Mbps for Netlfix 4K.

Reactions: comfortably_numb

In my informal testing of my iPhone 6S Plus on work WiFi, I get <2Mbps for SQ playback and <4Mbps for HQ playback on DA. By my calculations, this is approximately 900MB per hour for SQ and 1.8GB per hour for HQ.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
In my informal testing of my iPhone 6S Plus on work WiFi, I get <2Mbps for SQ playback and <4Mbps for HQ playback on DA. By my calculations, this is approximately 900MB per hour for SQ and 1.8GB per hour for HQ.

Very similar to my experience as well. Audio-only channels seem to stream at about 1 Mbps, IIRC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts