Streaming Is The New Cable

It's sadly true with all the advertising. Others will probably take note. Hopefully the NO ADS people can watch unedited material.

The link for where this writer received his info-

View: https://twitter.com/DavidLeninhawk/status/1765527442796503280

The reason why Tubi was asking for edited version, is laws in certain states, Adult Payment Processing & Age Verification Laws

This is the Florida version-Websites would be prohibited from retaining personal information for any time longer than necessary to verify age. Websites could be forced to pay up to $50,000 per violation of the law, and could be sued for court costs and up to $10,000 in damages for not blocking a minor's access.

So since free services do not verify the age of it’s subscribers, they need to edit out the nudity, so not to run afoul of certain state’s laws.

Other states with similar laws-Mississippi, Texas, Indiana, and Utah

So pay services like Paramount, MAX are fine, with ads or not, because they verify the age of who is subscribing with the payment info.

The link for where this writer received his info-

View: https://twitter.com/DavidLeninhawk/status/1765527442796503280

The reason why Tubi was asking for edited version, is laws in certain states, Adult Payment Processing & Age Verification Laws

This is the Florida version-Websites would be prohibited from retaining personal information for any time longer than necessary to verify age. Websites could be forced to pay up to $50,000 per violation of the law, and could be sued for court costs and up to $10,000 in damages for not blocking a minor's access.

So since free services do not verify the age of it’s subscribers, they need to edit out the nudity, so not to run afoul of certain state’s laws.

Other states with similar laws-Mississippi, Texas, Indiana, and Utah

So pay services like Paramount, MAX are fine, with ads or not, because they verify the age of who is subscribing with the payment info.

I guess Tubi isnt familiar with the First Amendment?

Reactions: FTA4PA
I guess Tubi isnt familiar with the First Amendment?
Till the Courts rule on the state laws, Tubi and all the other free services have no choice.

I am doing my best to answer in a non-political way so the thread does not get locked, so be careful, but you know me from the pit and should know how I feel.

Reactions: AZ.
Exactly what I said. I feel that the cable companies were/are greedy, and the satellite providers too and now so are the streaming services. Just my opinion, likely shared by others, which I am entitled to. ;)
Everything increases in price every year, that is a by product of a free market, for example people get raises, have to be able to pay for those raises, how, prices go up.

Now in working in this business ( only until May), I have found out margins are very low for Live Pay TV Services, in the lower percentages for some, but since they had so many subscribers, it was still millions/billions of profits.

Now broadband for cable providers is massive profits, hence why some ( and soon more) have been dropping Pay Live TV.

Now in working in this business ( only until May), I have found out margins are very low for Live Pay TV Services, in the lower percentages for some, but since they had so many subscribers, it was still millions/billions of profits.

Now broadband for cable providers is massive profits, hence why some ( and soon more) have been dropping Pay Live TV.

So you're proving his point then.

Reactions: KAB
So you're proving his point then.
No, because he was bringing up streaming video and Paid Live TV, neither of which is big profits right now, unless you are Netflix.

Some interesting data points:

Given how terrible cable customer satisfaction was/is, even if we were (or are) paying as much for streaming content, it sounds like we are getting a better product at the end of the day. That is certainly how I feel.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Some interesting data points:

Given how terrible cable customer satisfaction was/is, even if we were (or are) paying as much for streaming content, it sounds like we are getting a better product at the end of the day. That is certainly how I feel.
I never believe any survey, because the math does not add up, this for example-

Out of that 4400 that completed the survey-

Sports is a key content category. Seventy-six percent of respondents say they are at least casual fans and 21% say they are avid fans. Fifty-five percent watch sports regularly and 55% use cable or streaming to do so. The “avid” group also has higher incomes and prefers purchasing bundles of channels. Others prefer to purchase by team, game or league.

For example, 2023 World Series averaged 4 Million Households, that is out of 131 Million here in the states, which is only, roughly, 3.1% of total households, not even close to 55%.

It is worse for the RSNs, even NFL Sunday Night Football averages 8-9 Million Households, which is roughly 8%.

Sports is a key content category. Seventy-six percent of respondents say they are at least casual fans and 21% say they are avid fans. Fifty-five percent watch sports regularly and 55% use cable or streaming to do so. The “avid” group also has higher incomes and prefers purchasing bundles of channels. Others prefer to purchase by team, game or league.

For example, 2023 World Series averaged 4 Million Households, that is out of 131 Million here in the states, which is only, roughly, 3.1% of total households, not even close to 55%.

It is worse for the RSNs, even NFL Sunday Night Football averages 8-9 Million Households, which is roughly 8%.
They should have asked whether the respondents were gambling addicts. Those are the only people I know who have time to watch more than 1-2 games per week.

Anyway, you'd need to look at total viewership for all televised sports in a given week to see whether the 55% number is anywhere near accurate. I watch sports probably 35 weeks a year, but it is primarily F1 and some college basketball, neither of which are big ratings sports. The sheer number of different sports people watch is going to make it really hard to quantify things in a way to make sense of that number. In any case, I don't see how that pertains to whether OTT sucks less than cable.

I would say the math is definitely suspect

The survey found that 85% of consumers give a positive rating to their home broadband.

Comcast has a 40% share of the US broadband market. No way did they find 1500 people out of 4400 that are happy with Comcast.

The survey found that 85% of consumers give a positive rating to their home broadband.

Comcast has a 40% share of the US broadband market. No way did they find 1500 people out of 4400 that are happy with Comcast.
I’ve had Xfinity (Comcast) broadband for many, many years. Other than price I am very happy with it. Very minimal outage, usual higher than target speed down. I’d like a bit more up speed but it isn’t totally necessary for my purposes.

Reactions: NashGuy and klang

They needed at ask more questions .... like how many are watching teams Other than thier Favorite.

That could sway those numbers quite a bit.

Lots depends on Who is Playing who .... Is it your Favorite team ... is it a Local team or an Non Local team, which you are mostly required to have a Sub to that league ....

Answers to those questions would change those numbers quite a bit.

Not Asking you to find those answers, just pointing out that you can make numbers do a lot of different things, depending on where you look.

A different survey in 2022 had similar results:

"...89% are at least “somewhat satisfied.” Additionally, 89% of customers said their internet speeds meet their needs. Our data suggest that the majority of broadband connections in the US get the job done."

Xfinity rates highly in every category aside from customer service, where it is only middle of the pack.

The true "greed" that has propelled TV costs has come not so much from providers as from content. You have local stations demanding exorbitant amounts from sat/cable for what is otherwise free, over-the-air ad-supported content. The biggest cost driver of course is sports, which if that's your thing may be well worth it, but if not you're still paying for it and subsidizing that industry. Cable/sat are contractually barred from selling content a-la-carte, which again is the stranglehold of the content cartel. Little wonder that cord-cutting & streaming have become so popular. People will pay; it just needs to be reasonable to what they consume.

Reactions: MikeD-C05 and ncted