Streaming remain most popular destination for TV

Here is a good reason why streaming is gaining so much-

New consumer research from Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) found that 90% of U.S. households get an Internet service at home, compared to 84% in 2017, and 74% in 2007. Broadband accounts for 99% of households with an Internet service at home, and 89% of all households get a broadband Internet service – an increase from 82% in 2017, and 53% in 2007.

So that means out of 129 Million Households, almost 115 Million have Broadband fast enough for streaming, that mean only about 14 Million cannot.

This is good since one of the big arguments against streaming is so many do not have a fast enough connection, if the rate of expansion continues at the same pace, we should hit 95% quite soon, anyone left then, the homes that are too far away, can get service via Star Link.

If Broadband is this available to homes, that means businesses also, they need to start upgrading.

Define “broadband.” It seems to have many definitions, depending upon who you ask. And the reality is …

Reactions: FTA4PA
Define “broadband.” It seems to have many definitions, depending upon who you ask. And the reality is …
  1. a high-capacity transmission technique using a wide range of frequencies, which enables a large number of messages to be communicated simultaneously.
    "our ability to uplink on broadband has been curtailed"

1. a high-capacity transmission technique using a wide range of frequencies, which enables a large number of messages to be communicated simultaneously.
    "our ability to uplink on broadband has been curtailed"
That could be DSL

That could be DSL
No, that was the definition of broadband.

If you knew how to use Google, you would see that for yourself.

No, that was the definition of broadband.

If you knew how to use Google, you would see that for yourself.
Here ya go

The term broadband commonly refers to high-speed Internet access that is always on and faster than the traditional dial-up access. Broadband includes several high-speed transmission technologies such as: Digital Subscriber Line (DSL) Cable Modem.Jun 23, 2014

I got my information from the FCC..not Google

The answer he’s wanting is 25/3. That’s what the FCC considers broadband, and what they say everyone has.

Of course that’s not good enough.

Of course Microsoft takes a different approach… their interest is percentage of people using internet at broadband speeds, not just access, and they have speed data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: navychop
As mentioned above, DSL operates on a dedicated phone line, offering quality performance and connection. Commonly, DSL download speeds extend from 1 to 400 Mbps; upload speeds range from 384 Kbps to 8 Mbps.

The answer he’s wanting is 25/3. That’s what the FCC considers broadband, and what they say everyone has.

Of course that’s not good enough.

Of course Microsoft takes a different approach… their interest is percentage of people using internet at broadband speeds, not just access, and they have speed data.

DSL can be that fast

DSL internet is more than a hundred times faster than dial-up. Dial-up speeds are around 56 Kbps, while even the slowest DSL connections are around 10–20 Mbps (or 10,000–20,000 Kbps). Some DSL speeds reach up to 100 Mbps.Jan 9, 2023

But much like a cable modem...actual speeds may vary

As mentioned above, DSL operates on a dedicated phone line, offering quality performance and connection. Commonly, DSL download speeds extend from 1 to 400 Mbps; upload speeds range from 384 Kbps to 8 Mbps.

Thats from 2019...please see my newer link

Thats from 2019...please see my newer link
Have speeds change for DSL?

My link is information , not news.

If you need another link

You can get 100mps DSL some places...fiber is always better than copper..DSL is not the best but its still broadband

Quite honestly, this discussion of ‘what is broadband?’ got a bit pedantic.

The underlying technology is irrelevant. The issues are available speed, regardless of how it gets there. Even that question has a ‘why do you care?’ nature to it.

The use case of interest is streaming. That level of broadband is available to around 90% of the population. Microsoft may have the most relevant data for this, assuming that they are describing how they are collecting it… download speed of Microsoft products/services. This may be device and use dependent.

In the least, pretty much anyone that can get cable TV can get sufficient broadband from their cable provider to stream. Most who get POTS service can get broadband meeting the FCC’s definition (25/3).

Cost/affordability may be an issue, but availability isn’t.

Reactions: djont57
Quite honestly, this discussion of ‘what is broadband?’ got a bit pedantic.

The underlying technology is irrelevant. The issues are available speed, regardless of how it gets there. Even that question has a ‘why do you care?’ nature to it.

The use case of interest is streaming. That level of broadband is available to around 90% of the population. Microsoft may have the most relevant data for this, assuming that they are describing how they are collecting it… download speed of Microsoft products/services. This may be device and use dependent.

In the least, pretty much anyone that can get cable TV can get sufficient broadband from their cable provider to stream. Most who get POTS service can get broadband meeting the FCC’s definition (25/3).

Cost/affordability may be an issue, but availability isn’t.

Its nowhere near 90%