Streaming services and commercial skipping

N6BY

Geek
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 1, 2006
Roseville, CA 121W
Which streaming service is best for commercial skipping? I am talking about services like Sling TV, YTTV, Fubo, Hulu, and DirecTV Stream, which have packages of the popular cable channels (not Disney, Peacock, Paramount+, Netflix, etc.)

I had Dish Network Satellite TV for a little over 2 years and I could skip commercials whenever I wanted. But the price was high.

I recently subscribed to Sling TV. I was very disappointed to find out that I could not skip commercials after pausing live TV. The only way I can skip commercials is to record a show and wait until it is over, then view the recording.

Are there any streaming services that let you pause live TV and then skip over the commercials without having to record the show and wait until it is over?

Which streaming service is best for commercial skipping? I am talking about services like Sling TV, YTTV, Fubo, Hulu, and DirecTV Stream, which have packages of the popular cable channels (not Disney, Peacock, Paramount+, Netflix, etc.)

I had Dish Network Satellite TV for a little over 2 years and I could skip commercials whenever I wanted. But the price was high.

I recently subscribed to Sling TV. I was very disappointed to find out that I could not skip commercials after pausing live TV. The only way I can skip commercials is to record a show and wait until it is over, then view the recording.

Are there any streaming services that let you pause live TV and then skip over the commercials without having to record the show and wait until it is over?
I have YTTV and if you pause a show, it will let you fast forward.

When you FF, you get the squares that shows what you are FF thru, so you know when to hit play.

If I am watching anything live, I usually pause it at the beginning for 5 minutes just so I can do that

I have YTTV and if you pause a show, it will let you fast forward.

When you FF, you get the squares that shows what you are FF thru, so you know when to hit play.

If I am watching anything live, I usually pause it at the beginning for 5 minutes just so I can do that
For some strange reason it won't let me do as you describe. Once I get to a commercial it puts up a message when I try to FF to the effect of 'you can't do that now'.

Could it be that I am using the Android YTTV app on my Sony Bravia TV?

Which device are you using to stream YTTV?

For some strange reason it won't let me do as you describe. Once I get to a commercial it puts up a message when I try to FF to the effect of 'you can't do that now'.

Could it be that I am using the Android YTTV app on my Sony Bravia TV?

Which device are you using to stream YTTV?
Roku ultra.

Are you doing pause or a recording?

I am watching CNN Live right now and it is letting me do it.

CNN works fine with pause like you said, but with Discovery Channel, when I try to pause or skip during commercials it says "Video controls are restricted during Ad play".

I am not sure which other channels have the same restriction.

Are there any streaming services with unrestricted commercial skip? Can any YTTV, Hulu, Fubo or DirecTV stream users chime in?

CNN works fine with pause like you said, but with Discovery Channel, when I try to pause or skip during commercials it says "Video controls are restricted during Ad play".
Are you watching live or recordings?

Are you watching live or recordings?
Live, but I pause and wait about 10 minutes. Then when it reaches a commercial I am stuck and cannot FF until the commercials are done.

It seems that I will have to record everything on some of the channels. Not sure which channels have the forced commercials.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
Live, but I pause and wait about 10 minutes. Then when it reaches a commercial I am stuck and cannot FF until the commercials are done.
Weird, I put Food Network on, paused it for 10 min, then it let me FF right thru the commercials, not a issue, used a Roku Ultra, I do have Sony Z9K, will try with that since you wrote using your Sony.
It seems that I will have to record everything on some of the channels. Not sure which channels have the forced commercials.
You have to make sure you select your recording, it gives a choice between DVD and VOD, always select DVR or you will have forced commercials.

I have Discovery on pause right now, using my Sony’s Google TV YTTV App, I will post back.

Reactions: N6BY and TheKrell
Not one issue with my Sony, FF with no problems, I could see the commercials in the little squares as I went past them.

Last edited:
Reactions: N6BY
I have Philo and they recently added commercial skip on DVR'd recordings. It makes shows so much more enjoyable, being able to quickly skip over the commercials. They don't charge extra for this either, they just quietly added the feature.

Reactions: N6BY and TheKrell
Not one issue with my Sony, FF with no problems, I could see the commercials in the little squares as I went past them.
Sorry for the confusion. I have Sling TV right now, not YTTV. That explains the differences in commercial skipping.

But that answers my question - I can do commercial skipping after pausing when I switch from Sling Blue to YTTV.

Reactions: ncted