streaming services raising rates dropping channels

So who is increasing prices? How much? What channels are being dropped?

It's not surprising, but it would be good to post some links.

I don't know about the rest, but I did see yesterday that YouTube went up by $15 or so, but they did add a couple of channels.

Streaming only wouldn't work for me, our internet costs too much and is capped. It would cost more than Dish for sure.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
Some are raising prices: YouTube TV ($15) and Fubo ($5) specifically.

YouTubeTV added Viacom channels.

Fubo is adding some Disney-owned channels included ESPN while removing some AT&T-owned channels like TBS.

Sling (owned by Dish) announced a price freeze for 1 year for current customers and those to subscribe before August 1, 2020.

For me personally, the issue with these services is it is really hard to justify the price increases when I watch so little on them. We've become very accustomed to watching commercial-free shows on on-demand services like Netflix, Hulu, etc. Those have a lot more value than 80-odd channels for $65/month where I still have to manually FF commercials most of the time.

wow, i had links that never posted. my apologies. i need to find them.
but yes youtube was interesting rates and another service was dropping a few channels.
i guess i can’t back up my post without facts/or articles.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

but yes youtube was interesting rates and another service was dropping a few channels.

This seems like a good summary:

Reactions: osu1991

the one thing you did not bring up is that Dish does/did the same thing, their price went up this year and they lost ( or got rid of) channels-Fox Sports RSNs.

By the way, went to Dish’s site, Top 200 ( to get the same channels on YTTV) with Hopper and 2 boxes ( to match YTTV 3 streams) is $99 a month, YTTV is $65.

By the way, I think both prices are too much, you get lots of channels but the majority of content are reruns on every channel.

I have YTTV now but getting rid of it once we move, new house is in a Charter area, going to switch to their TV choice package which is locals plus your pick of 10 channels for $24.99 a month and can watch them on the Roku.

Last edited:
You the one thing you did not bring up is that Dish does/did the same thing, their price went up this year and they lost ( or got rid of) channels-Fox Sports RSNs.

By the way, went to Dish’s site, Top 200 ( to get the same channels on YTTV) with Hopper and 2 boxes ( to match YTTV 3 streams) is $99 a month, YTTV is $65.

By the way, I think both prices are too much, you get lots of channels but the majority of content are reruns on every channel.

I have YTTV now but getting rid of it once we move, new house is in a Charter area, going to switch to their TV choice package which is locals plus your pick of 10 channels for $24.99 a month and can watch them on the Roku.

It really is hard to compare. $65 a month for YTTV assumes you already have broadband internet and devices to watch it on. If you don't, then you need consider the additional costs to get YTTV. If you do, then you would need to approximate the cost of the monthly service that is used for YTTV and the portion of the device cost based on how much you watch.

If Dish's devices ran android TV apps (and ran them well), I might have been willing to stay on the Welcome Pack as it had everything we needed on a regular basis.

While reruns are the majority of content these days, that is an anomaly because of the shutdowns. There would normally be much more original programming otherwise. Of course, reruns will continue to dominate the daytime programming.

IMO, these days, because of so little original programming it is a stretch to really need live streaming at all.

For the ad-tolerant, there are a slew of ad supported services that are free with lots of good content on them. But for those wanting whatever is currently new, here’s a way to get most of it and keep the cost down.

Hulu basic - $6 w/ads, 12 w/out ads - next day of ABC, Fox and NBC with a few others covered with differing delayed time.

CBS All Access - $6 w/ads, $10 w/out ads - all CBS stuff plus some others, including originals and soon more Viacom stuff.

Peacock could be a choice. Free w/ads for basic to $10 w/out ads. Coming 7/15

Add in Netflix and Prime and you’ve covered a heck of a lot of good (and bad) content, only missing the lives sports that are already missing these days.

Prices have risen as the government has allowed a lot of companies to merge leading to very little competition. Then you have people constantly asking for every little channel in the world to be added.

Streaming is still cheaper, when you don't have to pay receiver fees, dvr fees, etc... The programming on the channels have become so diluted and repetitive, that I don't think its worth paying for anymore.

My 2c , Use to have Dishnetwork for years. Loved getting nickeled and dimed to death with receiver fees , dvr fees , hd fees and help us pay off the debt to tivo lawsuit fees, and of course subsidize everyone sports needs. Philo $20 split with other family members ( ohhh sounds like account stacking people cry about ) , CBS all access $10 , Netflix ( free through T-mobile ) , and Hulu $12 , HBOMAX $9 ( split with someone who has DTV ) Amazon (Prime Recast for OTA) $10 , so 10+5+free+ 6+9+5 = $35 . No contracts to get a discount and no money going to sports. If there should be show i really have to see right away i can always use the Dtv login on the Channels individual app. Some people I know will die without there sports ( you would think they would of passed by now with the current lack of , RIP) And cost of internet is not included because most everyone has with a Cable/Sat service. This doesn't work for everyone i understand. PQ on my 4k tv seems to be just fine. And no rain fade. And a lot less channels i don't watch that i have to pay for.

Reactions: the mack and HipKat
Some are raising prices: YouTube TV ($15) and Fubo ($5) specifically.

YouTubeTV added Viacom channels.

Fubo is adding some Disney-owned channels included ESPN while removing some AT&T-owned channels like TBS.

Sling (owned by Dish) announced a price freeze for 1 year for current customers and those to subscribe before August 1, 2020.

For me personally, the issue with these services is it is really hard to justify the price increases when I watch so little on them. We've become very accustomed to watching commercial-free shows on on-demand services like Netflix, Hulu, etc. Those have a lot more value than 80-odd channels for $65/month where I still have to manually FF commercials most of the time.
You can add AT&T to that for new customers. AT&T Increases the Price of AT&T TV and DirecTV | Cord Cutters News

• Wow
Reactions: harshness and ncted
Price are rising because many of the original streaming services were taking losses in order to build up their subscriber base. Now that they are looking to make a profit they are charging more. Everybody has to pay the piper sooner or later.

Eventually the only benefit of linear streaming services over Cable/Sat will be the lack of any contract but ATT is looking to have contracts with their streaming customers.

Reactions: rvvaquero
Price are rising because many of the original streaming services were taking losses in order to build up their subscriber base. Now that they are looking to make a profit they are charging more. Everybody has to pay the piper sooner or later.

Eventually the only benefit of linear streaming services over Cable/Sat will be the lack of any contract but ATT is looking to have contracts with their streaming customers.

Not sure about all of the vMVPDs, but YTTV wasn't able to get the ad sales they needed to break even by inserting ads in live TV. They were having trouble before the pandemic, and now advertisers are pulling way back on their ad buys. My guess is the price increase is to keep the loss per customer the same instead of growing it as much as it is about adding channels.

Reactions: babnmn

As long as they do not charge Box fees, DVR fees and multiple streams ( all things YTTV does not charge extra for) they will have the advantage over Traditional Providers.

But it is a moot point, Traditional Providers are dying and it seems the content providers are happy creating their own services that they can charge for, for example, all Warner's content/channels (CNN, TBS, TNT, etc) will be on HBO Max, NBC Universal content/channels ( SYFY, USA, MSNBC, etc) on Peacock, Disney (ABC, FX, way too many to list) is all set to go with Plus, Hulu ( all new and old , ESPN+.

Discovery Inc. ( HGTV, FOOD, ANIMAL PLANET, DISCOVERY CHANNEL, etc) has already announced they are creating a streaming service to sell direct to customers.

Reactions: tigerfan33
Prime TV has not raised the price (free with Amazon Prime) nor has it dropped any channels. In fact it's adding content all the time and has initiated a "Free Preview" type system. You can add other channels, such as Hallmark, MLB, Golf, or PBS, if that's your desire. There are also adv driven services available for free, such as IMDB. The stuff that isn't available I could care less about anyway so no loss. Right now there are too many streaming services with more on the horizon and it's going to take years for the market to pare out the wannabes before prices stabilize. The over-priced restrictive (contract) services will likely not survive followed by the forced bundles. If your wife watches HGTV do you really want to pay for Discovery Channel, HGTV, Food Network, TLC, Investigation Discovery, OWN, Travel Channel, Motortrend, Animal Planet, Science Channel, DIY Network, Cooking Channel, Discovery Family, American Heroes Channel, Destination America, just to get it? The shakeout will come and it won't be pretty.

Reactions: eddie willers
Prime TV has not raised the price (free with Amazon Prime) nor has it dropped any channels. In fact it's adding content all the time and has initiated a "Free Preview" type system. You can add other channels, such as Hallmark, MLB, Golf, or PBS, if that's your desire. There are also adv driven services available for free, such as IMDB. The stuff that isn't available I could care less about anyway so no loss. Right now there are too many streaming services with more on the horizon and it's going to take years for the market to pare out the wannabes before prices stabilize. The over-priced restrictive (contract) services will likely not survive followed by the forced bundles. If your wife watches HGTV do you really want to pay for Discovery Channel, HGTV, Food Network, TLC, Investigation Discovery, OWN, Travel Channel, Motortrend, Animal Planet, Science Channel, DIY Network, Cooking Channel, Discovery Family, American Heroes Channel, Destination America, just to get it? The shakeout will come and it won't be pretty.

Prime is a great service. Many old shows and movies not available elsewhere.
Some of the streaming services are getting up there where satellite/cable rates are. But people are depending more channels. The more cable type channels, the more the cost.

Reactions: eddie willers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)