VIP722K Is the end near for me?

budhead151

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
My 722K restarted today while watching a recording. When it finally restarted a warning came on and said your timers were saved but you lost all recordings, press ok to reformat the HD. First time this ever happened, is the end near?

My 722K restarted today while watching a recording. When it finally restarted a warning came on and said your timers were saved but you lost all recordings, press ok to reformat the HD. First time this ever happened, is the end near?
I had that happen to a 501 once. I lost all of the existing recordings, but after it reformatted, that receiver continued to work as a DVR for at least a couple more years, until Dish finally stopped broadcasting in a format that the 501 would support. I left it hooked up for several more months after that, until I got caught up on watching the recordings on it, which continued to work even with no satellite signal.

If you are concerned about the internal hard drive in your 722k beginning to fail, I do have a replacement hard drive available that I listed for sale in the Classifieds section. I know that it is compatible with a 722k, because I salvaged it from one that had a different problem. There have been no offers for it so far, so as long as I get at least enough money to cover the cost of shipping, I will be happy. It is a little bit of work to disassemble the 722k and install the replacement drive, but it may be worth it, just to have peace of mind.

I had that happen to a 501 once. I lost all of the existing recordings, but after it reformatted, that receiver continued to work as a DVR for at least a couple more years, until Dish finally stopped broadcasting in a format that the 501 would support. I left it hooked up for several more months after that, until I got caught up on watching the recordings on it, which continued to work even with no satellite signal.

If you are concerned about the internal hard drive in your 722k beginning to fail, I do have a replacement hard drive available that I listed for sale in the Classifieds section. I know that it is compatible with a 722k, because I salvaged it from one that had a different problem. There have been no offers for it so far, so as long as I get at least enough money to cover the cost of shipping, I will be happy. It is a little bit of work to disassemble the 722k and install the replacement drive, but it may be worth it, just to have peace of mind.

IF you want to keep your 722k, I'd take Crodrules up on his offer. It's not that hard to swap out drives. Once you do and turn it on, it'll reformat and marry itself to your receiver. Might easily last a couple more years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)