streaming services raising rates dropping channels

Curious question, slightly off-topic. Why is Jailbreaking a Firestick called Jailbreaking when it's really not? Jailbreaking (Or rooting in the case of Android) means altering the file system, specifically the kernel with an exploit that allows you to "unlock" the bootloader and access files and directories that are typically hidden and inaccessible. On a Firestick, it's just changing some native settings and downloading different "stores"?

Curious question, slightly off-topic. Why is Jailbreaking a Firestick called Jailbreaking when it's really not? Jailbreaking (Or rooting in the case of Android) means altering the file system, specifically the kernel with an exploit that allows you to "unlock" the bootloader and access files and directories that are typically hidden and inaccessible. On a Firestick, it's just changing some native settings and downloading different "stores"?

Because the meaning of words is a very nebulous thing that different people interpret differently and then communicate to others. Technical jargon, which should be immune to this kind of mutability, has been co-opted on the internet since everyone is now an "expert."

• Love
Reactions: joegr and HipKat
Great show on History channel today,
Washington

Missed the first 30min
So loaded up History on firestick
Forced, unskippable commercials.

Thankfully,
Had started dvr on hopper
So only had to sit through
Commercialscfor the first 30min of streaming.

Then back to hopper dvr
Skip...skip...skip
Limited commercial interuptions.

Why I have not left dish for streaming

Sent from my SM-G986U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: joegr and TheKrell
Washington

Missed the first 30min

Thankfully,

Then back to hopper dvr
Skip...skip...skip

Same here, except I also pay a LOT less for Dish than what I would for streaming anything. Hell, at this point, I pay $2 for Netflix, as the rest of it is covered by TMo, I just wanted the 4K access and the number of streams(I may or may not let my parents and brothers family use it as I am only on it once in awhile usually when I am not starting a series with my daughter.) On an unrelated note, Once upon a time is a great series for dads to watch with preteen daughters, if any of you are in the same boat as I.

My 2c , Use to have Dishnetwork for years. Loved getting nickeled and dimed to death with receiver fees , dvr fees , hd fees and help us pay off the debt to tivo lawsuit fees, and of course subsidize everyone sports needs. Philo $20 split with other family members ( ohhh sounds like account stacking people cry about ) , CBS all access $10 , Netflix ( free through T-mobile ) , and Hulu $12 , HBOMAX $9 ( split with someone who has DTV ) Amazon (Prime Recast for OTA) $10 , so 10+5+free+ 6+9+5 = $35 . No contracts to get a discount and no money going to sports. If there should be show i really have to see right away i can always use the Dtv login on the Channels individual app. Some people I know will die without there sports ( you would think they would of passed by now with the current lack of , RIP) And cost of internet is not included because most everyone has with a Cable/Sat service. This doesn't work for everyone i understand. PQ on my 4k tv seems to be just fine. And no rain fade. And a lot less channels i don't watch that i have to pay for.
For a guy that hates Dish wonder why you waste your time trolling here?

Because people are idiots and think the term sounds cool. No different than the word 'hack' being extremely over used.

I was reading an article about mixing a McDonald's chocolate shake and shamrock shake together to create a mint chocolate shake (something I first did years ago) and it was referred to as a 'hack'. In the same article another 'hack' was mentioned about creating a Buffalo style chicken sandwich by taking the patty off the bun and shaking it in the buffalo sauce they provide with nuggets. Combing menu items is not exactly the same thing as finding a backdoor into a financial institution and draining a bunch of accounts.

Tried to find the article but man are there a lot of useless fast food 'hack' articles out there. Apparently asking for a cup of water instead of buying bottled water is a 'hack', and not getting cheese on a fish sandwich also makes you a hacker according to Business Insider.

Because people are idiots and think the term sounds cool. No different than the word 'hack' being extremely over used.

I was reading an article about mixing a McDonald's chocolate shake and shamrock shake together to create a mint chocolate shake (something I first did years ago) and it was referred to as a 'hack'. In the same article another 'hack' was mentioned about creating a Buffalo style chicken sandwich by taking the patty off the bun and shaking it in the buffalo sauce they provide with nuggets. Combing menu items is not exactly the same thing as finding a backdoor into a financial institution and draining a bunch of accounts.

Tried to find the article but man are there a lot of useless fast food 'hack' articles out there. Apparently asking for a cup of water instead of buying bottled water is a 'hack', and not getting cheese on a fish sandwich also makes you a hacker according to Business Insider.

Yes! Also, "Easter eggs" are something that is hidden, not something in plain view that knowledgeable people see and immediately understand. There a seemingly limitless YouTube videos about al the "Easter eggs" in movies and TV shows. When watched, the vast majority of things referenced are just "obvious references" and not hidden or obfuscated in any way.

Reactions: HipKat and TheKrell
Washington

Missed the first 30min

Thankfully,

Then back to hopper dvr
Skip...skip...skip

On YoutTube TV, I can start watching something, decide to "record" it, and skip as many commercials as I want. No need to wait for another linear replay of the the show to get the recording. Now, I am not saying Dish isn't better is some ways, but this example isn't one of them. Also, even with the new channels added, YTTV [will soon] cost $65/month for the 85 most watched channels, unlimited DVR, 3 simultaneous streams, and watch-anywhere functionality. That It still too expensive IMHO, but that is because my family just does not watch much linear TV any more, but it is still a value compared to a lot of traditional channel packages and associated equipment fees.

Reactions: TheKrell
My 2c , Use to have Dishnetwork for years. Loved getting nickeled and dimed to death with receiver fees , dvr fees , hd fees and help us pay off the debt to tivo lawsuit fees, and of course subsidize everyone sports needs. Philo $20 split with other family members ( ohhh sounds like account stacking people cry about ) , CBS all access $10 , Netflix ( free through T-mobile ) , and Hulu $12 , HBOMAX $9 ( split with someone who has DTV ) Amazon (Prime Recast for OTA) $10 , so 10+5+free+ 6+9+5 = $35 . No contracts to get a discount and no money going to sports. If there should be show i really have to see right away i can always use the Dtv login on the Channels individual app. Some people I know will die without there sports ( you would think they would of passed by now with the current lack of , RIP) And cost of internet is not included because most everyone has with a Cable/Sat service. This doesn't work for everyone i understand. PQ on my 4k tv seems to be just fine. And no rain fade. And a lot less channels i don't watch that i have to pay for.
Philo ($20 split): $10 (assumption on how much you're splitting it)
CBS: $10
Netflix: $0
Hulu: $12
HBO $9 (I'm assuming that's the split cost)
Amazon: $10

I've got that up to $51.

While you're right, you don't get rain fade, when my internet goes out, it could be hours or days, rain fade is generally 15-30 tops. My Dish bill is $79/month for AT200.

Because you are removing the security that kept you in jail

While you're right, you don't get rain fade, when my internet goes out, it could be hours or days, rain fade is generally 15-30 tops. My Dish bill is $79/month for AT200.

Is this a promotional price? Their website lists the Too 200 at $85/mo, and that’s before any equipment fees.

Reactions: ncted

Lifehacks.com lol

Well, I know there's a somewhat hidden white elephant in the room, and I know details are verboten here and it works out well for me

Reactions: charlesrshell
Because you are removing the security that kept you in jail
I understand that, but jailbreaking means modifying system files and inserting an exploit into the kernel or replacing the kernel with one that has rewritten code with the exploit included. It's a process that circumvents the warranty in almost all cases.

On a Firestick, it's toggling native settings that were purposely programmed into the device.

On YoutTube TV, I can start watching something, decide to "record" it, and skip as many commercials as I want. No need to wait for another linear replay of the the show to get the recording. Now, I am not saying Dish isn't better is some ways, but this example isn't one of them. Also, even with the new channels added, YTTV [will soon] cost $65/month for the 85 most watched channels, unlimited DVR, 3 simultaneous streams, and watch-anywhere functionality. That It still too expensive IMHO, but that is because my family just does not watch much linear TV any more, but it is still a value compared to a lot of traditional channel packages and associated equipment fees.
But the show I wanted to see was not on YouTube TV.
So,
Your solution is an imediate fail.

And so may other issues...
Stream sub a
Stream sub b
Stream sub c
Stream sub d
Stream sub e
Total less than Dish
But...
Which one has my show?
And I have to contantly switch stream sub and devices.

But the show I wanted to see was not on YouTube TV.
So,
Your solution is an imediate fail.

And so may other issues...
Stream sub a
Stream sub b
Stream sub c
Stream sub d
Stream sub e
Total less than Dish
But...
Which one has my show?
And I have to contantly switch stream sub and devices.

So, your complaint wasn't about not being able to skip commercials, but that YTTV doesn't have the History channel? Sorry, but I did not understand that from your original post.

As for determining where to watch what, there are solutions like JustWatch.

If you are able to get by with the shows on the channels Dish carries, then Dish sounds like the solution for you.

Personally, and I don't think I am alone in this based on the growth of streaming services, I found we watched very little on traditional linear channels, and more and more on streaming services as time passed. Very little of the content we watch ever shows up on channels Dish carries. At least not yet. Maybe one day, TBS will have reruns of GoT, or the Disney Channel will air The Mandalorian.

Reactions: charlesrshell
As for determining where to watch what, there are solutions like JustWatch.
That's great (actually, I don't know if it is, because I've never used it) *IF* you know what you want to watch. Not that we watch a lot of linear TV, but we'll occasionally just scroll through the guide and see what we want. I don't like scrolling through Amazon, nope, nothing there, let me scroll through Netflix, nope, nothing there, let me look at Disney+, well, I guess I could watch that one show, was it on Amazon or Netflix?

Streaming works for some people and linear TV works for others.

Reactions: ncted
Is this a promotional price? Their website lists the Too 200 at $85/mo, and that’s before any equipment fees.
Yup. I think we're on our 4th (or maybe 6th) year of the promotional price. And the cost I listed included equipment fees but not taxes. Of course, we only have a 211 and a 612, no locals. Take locals out of the $85 and you're down to $73. And we save what, $14(?) by not having a hopper system?