Struck by a dead pixel LG B7 OLED

Hoping to wait for HDMI 2.1 as well.
I doubt that they'll find a use outside of computers sporting 4-5 figure graphics cards for 48gbps connections in the foreseeable future.

That HDMI 2.1 will also involve new "Ultra Speed" cabling assures that cabling will cost a small fortune until the standard becomes pedestrian and I can't imagine that happening at the consumer level.

While the tech freaks like to dream about 8K or 16K or 120Hz video refresh rates some day in their home theater, I can't fathom how or why that would come to pass.

Perhaps I just lack imagination but all I really want is 1080p with HDR and WCG and at this point, nobody has seen fit to deliver it. The only "format" that seems to support such a thing is ATSC 3.0.

I doubt that they'll find a use outside of computers sporting 4-5 figure graphics cards for 48gbps connections in the foreseeable future.

That HDMI 2.1 will also involve new "Ultra Speed" cabling assures that cabling will cost a small fortune until the standard becomes pedestrian and I can't imagine that happening at the consumer level.

While the tech freaks like to dream about 8K or 16K or 120Hz video refresh rates some day in their home theater, I can't fathom how or why that would come to pass.

Perhaps I just lack imagination but all I really want is 1080p with HDR and WCG and at this point, nobody has seen fit to deliver it. The only "format" that seems to support such a thing is ATSC 3.0.

My main interest in HDMI 2.1 is eARC.

My main interest in HDMI 2.1 is eARC.
Do any of the streaming services plan to offer lossless audio than might require the use of eARC?

Does it seem at all likely that they will?

Many of today's better AVRs can already pull out a lossless surround signal from an HDMI input and for the ones that can't they'll have to be upgraded anyway to accept the signal from the HDMI 2.1 capable TV.

I'm perhaps biased because I don't believe the TV should necessarily the nerve center of a home entertainment system. Maybe eARC will have a feature where the audio system can ask for a particular lip sync delay.

It seems like TVs are coming with fewer HDMI jacks rather than more of late. At the same time, AVRs seem to be adding HDMI jacks pretty regularly. AVRs are including more (4-8) HDMI inputs.

Until TVs are cheaper than AVRs, which do you want to upgrade?

Do any of the streaming services plan to offer lossless audio than might require the use of eARC?

Does it seem at all likely that they will?

Many of today's better AVRs can already pull out a lossless surround signal from an HDMI input and for the ones that can't they'll have to be upgraded anyway to accept the signal from the HDMI 2.1 capable TV.

I'm perhaps biased because I don't believe the TV should necessarily the nerve center of a home entertainment system. Maybe eARC will have a feature where the audio system can ask for a particular lip sync delay.

It seems like TVs are coming with fewer HDMI jacks rather than more of late. At the same time, AVRs seem to be adding HDMI jacks pretty regularly. AVRs are including more (4-8) HDMI inputs.

Until TVs are cheaper than AVRs, which do you want to upgrade?

I currently use a 4K TV and an Atmos capable sound bar. I see value in having the apps on the TV deliver full surround sound to a sound bar.

I think I can get by comfortably with 4. Better TV's have that, Sound Bars, so far at least, do not.
And if you've failed to anticipate your future needs (say you forgot that you're might need an ATSC 3.0 capable tuner or you acquire a home security camera system that doens't tie up a computer)?

My experience has been that having at least one spare input can avoid multiple remotes or having to start all over with a new approach to switching.

Going forward, I think upgrading streaming boxes occasionally is going to prove better and cheaper than upgrading TVs. I've had enough TV and DVD player apps abandoned in the last few years to learn my lesson. I suspect that it why I could never really get excited about RVU or anything else that turns the TV into the source.

I get that some people's needs are modest but for those who haven't spent the time to plan ahead for the useful life of their components, having the flexibility of extra inputs is a great thing.

No reason to without eARC.
Surely those with streaming boxes and gaming consoles running apps could benefit from it. I don't think Atmos content is being held up by the absence of eARC.

Blue-ray Disc and Xbox One users who use their TV's to switch are likely being shortchanged by their choice until they finally have to throw the baby out with the bathwater to get eARC support throughout.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)