Structured Wiring for New Modular Home

Chris Freeland

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Collegedale, TN
I am almost ready to put a new modular home by Nationwide Custom Homes on my property. I have talked to the local builder and Nationwide has no problem with doing structured wiring. The house we are considering is a modest 1600 sq ft Craftsman style ranch home with 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, kitchen, formal dining room, family room, utility room and a 2 car garage. The home will not have a basement, just a craw space. I plan on doing a HT setup in the family room, which will have a fire place with room for cabinets on both sides, I hope to have a flat panel HD LCD TV mounted above the fireplace and some form of pull out and rotating equipment rack on one side of the fire place. I have not decided weather to go with in ceiling speakers in the rear above my theater style duel recliners, or to go with small cube speakers like Bose hung from the ceiling, any suggestions? At the A/V rack I plan on running 3 runs of rg 6, 2 for E* dvr satellite receiver if needed? and 1 to feed modulated signal to distribution panel and 2 runs of cat5e, the 3rd run of rg6 is for modulated signal of 722 back to the distribution panel. I will have just one rg6 to tv above fireplace for ota, I do not see any need to run full 2+2 structured wire for the tv? I do plan on running 2" conduit between the A/V rack and fr tv for connecting equipment directly via HDMI, Component cable etc. I plan on full 2+2 structured wiring in both the kitchen and dining room.

2+2 wiring will also go to each secondary bedroom, each will have a sd crt tv, one bedroom will be used as an office. I am debating on weather to add additional phone lines to these bedrooms? I am also debating on weather to locate the distribution pannel in office/bedroom walk in closet, utility room or garage?

I may run 2 x 2+2 wires in Master bedroom for a 2nd 2 tuner E*satellite receiver, also with modulated output connected to panel to distribute through network. At first I will likely have a sd crt tv, latter I hope to upgrade to a lcd flat panel HD tv. I also plan on wiring for future HT 5.1 surround sound in this room too. Debating on weather to add an extra phone outlet or two?

I will likely run all cables through conduit along with some empty conduit at other locations for adding new wires if needed in the future, I am also debating on weather to add additional cat 5 for possible future do-it myself intercom, home automation, security cameras etc? Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated ?

How expensive is that?

You have to plumb in some PVC lines everywhere you would anticipate plugging in a vacuum at. Generally, one for each major area such as the hallway feeding several rooms, the living room, kitchen, etc. You also have to run control wires to each of those locations.

I Googled some information and found a site that should educate you on doing this. Here's a link: LINK

You have to plumb in some PVC lines everywhere you would anticipate plugging in a vacuum at. Generally, one for each major area such as the hallway feeding several rooms, the living room, kitchen, etc. You also have to run control wires to each of those locations.

I Googled some information and found a site that should educate you on doing this. Here's a link: LINK

My wife does not feel the need for this in a house that is all on one floor and only 1600 sq ft, thanks for something to think about though :).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)